Your Favorite Little-Known Freeware?

Susan Bugher

cross-posted to ACFG

Since free games are game on this list,

erm. . . wrong. . .

Games have been off-topic in ACF ever since our sister newsgroup, alt.comp.freeware.games was
created. Games *are* discussed here occasionally (primarily because some servers don't carry ACFG.
Those threads are usually cross-posted to both newsgroups.

More information about ACFG is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acfg/acfg.php

I thought I might just share a
few favorites...
"Jardinains" is a truly delightful "breakout / arkanoid" clone -- with
a difference! In addition to the usual challenge of breaking all the
bricks (pong-style), these tiny elves occasionally emerge atop the
bricks and try to drop flowerpots on you! Sounds silly, and indeed it
is, but it's wonderfully fun! Every bit as enjoyable to adults as
kids, I find:

http://www.download.com/Jardinains/3000-2099_4-10246909.html?tag=lst-0-1

"Arcade Classic Pack" includes very good clones of Asteroids, Pac-Man,
Pong, Snake, Space Invaders, and Tetris. It is a very small program
(less than 500kb), and obviously very efficient with system resources.
I find that the Space Invaders clone is significantly easier than the
original (which was already fairly easy), so if you're in a mood to
just mindlessly play a game for a long, long time, you might enjoy it.
All the games are well done:

http://www.download.com/Arcade-Classic-Arcade-Pack/3000-2099_4-10395927.html?tag=lst-6-12

Though not a game itself, "Game Maker" enables you to make YOUR OWN
games, without doing any real programming!

"Game Maker allows you to make exciting computer games without the need
to write a single line of code. Using easy-to-learn, drag-and-drop
actions, you can make professional-looking games in no time. Games can
have backgrounds, animated graphics, music, and sound effects, and once
you get more experienced there's a built-in programming language that
gives you full flexibility. What's best, Game Maker can be used
completely free of charge, and you can use the games you produce any
way you like. You even can sell them."

http://www.download.com/Game-Maker/3000-2121_4-10333918.html?tag=lst-6-20

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Stuzz

Great thread!

My 2 cents:

Algebrus - http://www.astrise.com
Simple calculator, without a useless onscreen keypad! I use it in
compact view, which shows you the answer as you type, and automatically
places that answer on the clipboard for use elsewhere.

Time and Chaos 5.6.10 - http://www.chaossoftware.com
PIM manager with all details on one screen.

Palm Desktop - http://www.palmone.com
Another PIM manager... No you don't need a Palm PDA to use this.

Tonic - http://www.r2.com.au
ICQ like instant messaging for LAN's. Beta still has bugs, but 1.0.480
works a treat. Serverless aswell.

Dexpot - http://www.dexpot.de
Can create multiple desktops. But I use it to keep various windows on
top, and minimise to tray. Also controls many other window properties,
and you create rules so when the program is opened next time, the setting
are applied.

Winwall - http://www.desktopchanger.com.au
As the url describes. This program changes your desktop... simply.

AutoHotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/
Hotkey maker. Easy to use programming language. eg. I use Win + F12 to
open Algebrus (which also becomes always on top due to Dexpot :) ). I
also control windows volume with Win + Mousewheel Up/Down.

xplorer2 lite - http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm
Windows explorer replacements (changed windows Win + E to open this with
AutoHotkey instead of Win explorer)

Enjoy
Stuzz

badgolferman

Father said:
I wanted a tiny atomic clock sync and found Neutron. It's a 6K zip
file -- it expands all the way to 9K. It works for me, and seems to be
more than adequate for keeping my PC on time.

You can get it here http://keir.net/download/neutron.zip

I like that program too, especially since it isn't a service and shuts
itself off after running.

Susan Bugher

Thanks for the clarification, Susan!

I had checked the "About this Group" section before posting (
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/about?hl=en ) and
didn't see any rules concerning games. But I also realize it is not
easy to put all the rules in these sections.

Yikes, I've led you astray. . . This is an *unmoderated* newsgroup. There aren't any "official
rules" about posts. I meant the consensus of ACF and ACFG newsgroup participants. The group
consensus re games discussions is mentioned on the ACFG page - might also be mentioned in the rules
for selecting the Pricelessware List.

Info about an ACF consensus can be difficult to find. If in doubt about what's *usually* done just
post a question to the group. There's a range of opinion on many topics so you may have several
different answers to choose from. :) A look at the "Posting Tips" page will give you some feel for
that: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Posting.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

ggdbr01

Hello badgolferman:

Please forgive my newbieness: I'd be glad to format it properly, if you
could give me some tips on what is needed!

"Strip it upon replies" means that it would automatically not show up
in replies? That would be best. How is such an adjustment made?

Thanks in advance!

Brett

starcat

I'd just like to ask anyone to post the names of their favorite
little-known freeware programs. Please list as many or as few as you'd
like, and no need to have links to download sites: we can probably find
those easily enough.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I will hold off on my favorites for now until others have had a chance
to contribute.

Thanks again!

Brett
http://www.FreewareFriend.com/
Powerful non-profit website for finding great free software.
"Discover freeware jewels on the World Wide Web!"
Always free, no registration required.

A fewI haven't seen mentioned here:

EditPad Lite (a Notepad replacement):
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

Startup Control Panel (lets you control what programs load at startup):
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Monitor (a nice companion for Startup Control Panel):
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Stickies (I absolutely love this program, and I've tried many post-it type
programs - Stickies is the best): http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/

Pure Text (strips formatting out of copied text - a very handy tool):
http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Tray Play (a very simple audio player - nice when you only need something
simple that doesn't take loads of resources to run):
http://www.chime.tv/products/trayplay.shtml

Speaking of resources, there's Process Viewer for Windows (it gives you a
little more info than the Windows Task Manager):
http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm

One more - Slim Browser (a tabbed browser based on IE):
http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

Last but not least - ERUNT and NTREGOPT (great registry tools):

starfish

ggdbr01

Stickies (I absolutely love this program, and I've tried many post-it type
programs - Stickies is the best): http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/

starfish

Hello Starfish:

I took "Stickies" for a test drive, and it's easy to see why you love
this program! It's a keeper!

I used to use a program called "StickyNote" that was free at one time,
but then it went commercial. I stopped using it at some point, though
it wasn't because of the cost (though at the moment I don't remember
exactly why.)

But this program looks even nicer than StickyNote in its best form!

Thanks for the tip!

Brett
http://www.FreewareFriend.com/
Powerful non-profit website for finding great free software.
"Discover freeware jewels on the World Wide Web!"
Always free, no registration required.

dansheen

dansheen: I took this one for a test drive. It is very easy to use,
and it does seem to deliver on its promise! I even supressed the
Realplayer programs that always seem to run at startup.

Good pick! I'll keep it!

Brett
http://www.FreewareFriend.com/
Powerful non-profit website for finding great free software.
"Discover freeware jewels on the World Wide Web!"
Always free, no registration required.
There are other startup programs that do this (Mike Lins for example).
This program is very helpful for me when a program starts to eat up
major resources- I terminate it and then restart it.

dansheen

I'd just like to ask anyone to post the names of their favorite
little-known freeware programs. Please list as many or as few as you'd
like, and no need to have links to download sites: we can probably find
those easily enough.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I will hold off on my favorites for now until others have had a chance
to contribute.

Thanks again!

Brett
http://www.FreewareFriend.com/
Powerful non-profit website for finding great free software.
"Discover freeware jewels on the World Wide Web!"
Always free, no registration required.
I realize that I just take for granted many of these small programs
These are ones that are always on or often used

volumouse- adjusts volume or mutes sound via mouse command
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html

avafind- in spite of the limitations of the free version I use this to
locate files I've misplaced
http://www.think-less-do-more.com/avafind/

noteholder- I prefer to stickies programs
http://notes.aklabs.com/

fast defrag-
http://www.amsn.ro/index.php?action=2

erunt- backup utility

dbpoweramp- still the best music converter around. The earlier version
is better because of mp3 support. But, given it's strengths, it's
simple to just add an mp3 codec to the newest version so that it still
works with mp3. It also records any sounds from the sound card and
converts that directly to whatever format is chosen.
www.dbpoweramp.com

Others
offbyone.com- simple, browser
audio players: musikcube-http://www.musikcube.com
or 1by1 http://www.mpesch3.de/

Alastair Smeaton

Hello badgolferman:

Please forgive my newbieness: I'd be glad to format it properly, if you
could give me some tips on what is needed!

"Strip it upon replies" means that it would automatically not show up
in replies? That would be best. How is such an adjustment made?

Thanks in advance!

Brett

start your sig with -- ]]that is, hyphen, hyphen space

then all newsreaders will see this as a sig and not repeat it in