Your Favorite Little-Known Freeware?

Bjorn Simonsen

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
I'd just like to ask anyone to post the names of their favorite
little-known freeware programs

[repeating my self... :]

----------------------

Locate by Charles Dye:
<http://www.highfiber.com/~raster/freeware.htm>

Locate v1.31, 2003-12-09 (Free)
General purpose file-finder for DOS and Windows 9x.
A86 source. Some features may not work correctly under
FreeDOS.

Locate v1.25d, 1998-09-30 (Free)
General purpose file-finder with A86 source. This is an
older release for FreeDOS compatibility.

about it, see also:
<http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/filefind.htm#sysfind>

----------------------

InjectURL (abandonware) by Marek Jedlinski
<http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html>

see old post about it, here

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/35abfed8824d3e35?hl=en&>
same in plain text format:

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/35abfed8824d3e35?dmode=source&hl=en>

----------------------

Lister by Christian Ghisler (author of Total Commander)
<http://www.ghisler.com/lister/>

A file viewer. Great for viewing textual content of html files, as it
strips html tags - leaving only plain text and URLs (can also view raw
source). I have (also) posted about Lister before, including some
tips/ideas on use. See fx:
(about/use of):

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/d56fc8de90d74341>
(as a source viewer for your browser, to get to text only):

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/609306a5ad9113a8?hl=en&>

All the best
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Pro Tools Free" for audio work in one of the "Spy Kids" films. So I
decided to track it down. (It's available for Windows and Mac):

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

quote from: <http://www.digidesign.com/compato/mainfreewin.html>

Additional Computer Requirements

* System Software: Windows Me or Windows 98 Second Edition (will
NOT run on Windows XP, 2000, NT, 95, or 3.1)

* Total System RAM: 128 MB minimum 192 MB recommended (Additional
RAM required for simultaneous use with MIDI sequencers.)

* Intel chipset

* Phoenix or Award BIOS (recommended)

* CD-ROM drive for software install

* AGP or PCI graphic card

* Monitor, color required, minimum resolution of 1024 x 768

* Storage: A large, fast, hard drive for audio.

* For maximum performance, a dedicated ATA/IDE or SCSI disk
drive(s), such as those qualified with Pro Tools LE, should be
used.

/quote

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher

Incidentally, I just looked over the "Grand" Freeware Program List at
Pricelesswarehome.org ! That is a truly amazing compilation!!

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

TY. I trust you noticed that those are just *some* of the programs that have been mentioned in this
truly amazing newsgroup. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Michael Salem

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
... some groups don't tolerate munged addresses.
And in some groups even .invalid addresses are detested. Only chance
in such cases are spam traps and/or exhaustive filtering of incoming
mails on eMail accounts especially created for Usenet replies.

If you use a valid address with embedded "$" signs (say abc{1}$xy@...),
and a valid Reply-To address (as I mentioned recently), you will get a
lot of junkmail addressed to xy@..., a fair amount to abc{1@..., a
little to abc{1}$xy@..., and probably none, or very little, to your
Reply-To address. The relative immunity of the ReplyTo address may
change in the future, of course.

Have a look at my headers for an example. My Reply-To address IS valid
exactly as posted.

Best wishes,

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

If you use a valid address with embedded "$" signs (say abc{1}$xy@...),
and a valid Reply-To address (as I mentioned recently), you will get a
lot of junkmail addressed to xy@..., a fair amount to abc{1@..., a
little to abc{1}$xy@..., and probably none, or very little, to your
Reply-To address.

Whether you can create such local parts depends on the technical setup
and maybe on additional legal terms of your ISP. Further problems can
show up if people answer directly to your From (instead of Reply-To),
if their systems don't support any of these special chars.

It's a matter of discussion if problems with a From address should be
thought about, at all, when a valid Reply-To is provided. IMHO, any
mail address published (which is not using the .invalid name space)
should be valid and read for a reasonable time (i.e. no /dev/nul
shortcut).
The relative immunity of the ReplyTo address

BTDT. But since my ISP requires a valid address in FROM (.invalid is
explicitly banned) there is no gain from Reply-To, anymore. I'm content
with my temporary addresses (which are valid a month longer than shown
inside their domain part), at the moment.
may change in the future, of course.

Yep. But that doesn't matter as long as you don't insert your best (i.e.
longest to live) eMail address. ;-)

BeAr

Frank Bohan

If you use a munged address, you can easily check whether it belongs to
someone else by sending a message to yourself at the munged address. If it
is returned as "undeliverable" you need not worry. By choosing an address
which is highly improbable you have an extra layer of insurance.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ When you are trying to get into shape, the best shape is a triangle.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

If you use a munged address, you can easily check whether it belongs to
someone else by sending a message to yourself at the munged address. If it
is returned as "undeliverable" you need not worry. By choosing an address
which is highly improbable you have an extra layer of insurance.

The server might be down. The mailbox limit can be reached. Someone might
choose just the second after you checked to set up his new mail address.
And so on...

As to choose an unlikely address: I've seen so many cryptic or funny
*valid* addresses that I wouldn't build on that one.

Use .invalid if your provider doesn't sue you for that. Or use a valid
address of your own. - That's my idea of fair play. Even in times of
SPAM.

BeAr

ggdbr01

The 2 year anniversary of his last update fast approacheth!

I expect we'll see some new material by then :)

Jim Byrd

Exactly - try:

javascript:if(frames.length<1){document.body.background='';void(document.bgC
olor=prompt('Change%20to%20which%20background%20color?',''))}else{alert('Pag
e%20has%20frames.%20Use%20the%20version%20of%20this%20bookmarklet%20for%20fr
ames.%20(bookmarklets.com)')}

then enter black. :)

Jack Purvis

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended CLCL - the clipboard
utility. Great stuff. I 've tried a lot but this is the best
Jack Purvis

Heinrich Himmelschrei

Jack Purvis said:
Thanks to whoever it was that recommended CLCL - the clipboard
utility. Great stuff. I 've tried a lot but this is the best

Are you sure you have discovered all its features yet?

Heinrich Himmelschrei

Gabriele Neukam

On that special day, , (Jack Purvis <dismal_dan(removexxxx)
@hotmail.com>) said...
Thanks to whoever it was that recommended CLCL - the clipboard
utility. Great stuff. I 've tried a lot but this is the best
Jack Purvis

:))

Well the first person who mentioned it, might have been Soeren Hedeby
Soerensen, according to Google Groups (following a posting with
managed to obtain this info.

Gabriele Neukam

(e-mail address removed)