XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

penang

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
for right now.

So let me post this question to all the gurus here:

Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
to another drive partition ?

Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

nebulous99

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

More likely, it's the filesystem. Are you trying to move or copy it to
a FAT32 volume? (Or worse, FAT16)

It should be possible to copy to an NTFS volume.

If it's ON a FAT volume it is probably truncated or corrupt, which is
bad. You'll need to recover it from the original source device again
onto an NTFS volume. If you deleted it from the original source (e.g.
a camera) you're screwed. If you have it on a DVD or something you're
OK though.

WaIIy

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

FAT32 has a 4 gig limit, not NTFS

You should look down that road.

Patrick Keenan

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

Not quite true. The limitation is not with XP.

The limitation is with FAT32 filesystem, and that's almost certainly how you
have the disk formatted.

There are very few remaining good reasons to use FATxx format on XP systems.

NTFS is much preferred, and you've just run smack into one of the reasons.

I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
for right now.

And there's no need to do that, when the problem isn't with the OS at all
but rather with how the disk is formatted.
So let me post this question to all the gurus here:

Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
to another drive partition ?

Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

You need to either convert the disks to NTFS, or use NTFS partitions for
the editing files - including the temp folders. Do not forget that temp
files will be created and they will often be at least the same size as the
original file. You need plenty of free space, and then more than that.

The command-line convert utility can fix this for you, and normally reliably
and safely... but as with any major change to the system, it's prudent to
back up first.

HTH
-pk

VanguardLH

<snip>
Posted to:
comp.os.ms-windows.misc
alt.os.windows-xp
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
24hoursupport.helpdesk

I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
included in your excessive crosspost.

dobey

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
for right now.

So let me post this question to all the gurus here:

Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
to another drive partition ?

Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

Actually I think this could be more to do with the AVI extention than file
size.

If you were using FAT32 you probably wouldn't have been able to save it in
the first place, as FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

Try searching on being unable to move an avi file. It is a known problem
that seems to randomly affect avi files. under XP.

Julie

VanguardLH said:
<snip>
Posted to:
comp.os.ms-windows.misc
alt.os.windows-xp
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
24hoursupport.helpdesk

I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
included in your excessive crosspost.

The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

Gordon

Julie said:
The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted to TWO
OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......

Damian

Gordon said:
That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted
to TWO OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......

I agree with Julie and don't care if there are a dozen related groups; as
long as they're related to the post. Anything is better than some ****wit
who multi-posts because a bunch of Usenet Nazi's bitch about cross-posting.

Stuart Miller

I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

As stated, this is not an XP problem, it is a fat32 issue.
There one aditional complication I have observed when doing video captures.

Most capture/copy programs will stop writing at just over 4 gigs. The file
is editable, and can be broken up, then reassembled using any of a number of
editing/authoring programs.

However, files over about 2 gigs often can not be copied on fat32 drives. I
have no idea why the 'copy' limit is less than the 'create' limit, but I
have run into it a few times in Win98. I switched to XP and ntfs, so I did
not bother to find the cause or a solution.
I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
for right now.

1 - avoid vista
2 - buy a new hard drive, format it in ntfs, install, copy relevant data
3 - avoid vista
4 - consider backup/reformat/reinstall - probably will not backup the 4 gig
file
5 - avoid vista
So let me post this question to all the gurus here:

Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
to another drive partition ?

not using fat32
You might be able to 'pull' the file onto a ntfs drive or partition, see #2
above
Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

Stuart

olfart

Gordon said:
That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted to
TWO OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......
another PIA net monitor who got his Al Gore "My Internet" badge out of a box
of Corn Flakes.
As he said.......STFU

Gordon

olfart said:
another PIA net monitor who got his Al Gore "My Internet" badge out of a
box of Corn Flakes.
As he said.......STFU
And arseholes to you as well.

WaIIy

I agree with Julie and don't care if there are a dozen related groups; as
long as they're related to the post. Anything is better than some ****wit
who multi-posts because a bunch of Usenet Nazi's bitch about cross-posting.

Well, if people quit responding to excessive crossposting, perhaps they
would lessen.

You must be one of the "me-me" generation that expects they can do what
they want and everyone must live with the fallout.

You don't ask for help and crosspost to a zillion groups.

or maybe you do

M.I.5¾

Stuart Miller said:
As stated, this is not an XP problem, it is a fat32 issue.
There one aditional complication I have observed when doing video
captures.

Most capture/copy programs will stop writing at just over 4 gigs. The file
is editable, and can be broken up, then reassembled using any of a number
of editing/authoring programs.

However, files over about 2 gigs often can not be copied on fat32 drives.
I have no idea why the 'copy' limit is less than the 'create' limit, but I
have run into it a few times in Win98. I switched to XP and ntfs, so I did
not bother to find the cause or a solution.

The reason is because of a bug in the 9x line of windows products. Although
the file size was limited to 4GB, the actual size of the file was
incorrectly assigned as a signed binary number. This meant that file sizes
over 2GB were reported as being of negative size. Thus they wouldn't copy
or move correctly. Some utilities that dealt with such large file sizes
(e.g. most video editing utilities) were aware of the bug and corrected the
file size before actually dealing with the file. This was why FAT32 seemed
to have a 2GB file size limit (though nothing stopped you exceeding it), but
a few utilities happily worked with file sizes between 2 and 4 GB. The bug
was corrected in the Windows NT product line, so XP will happily work with
up to 4GB on FAT32 drives.

Gazwad

dobey <[email protected]>, the elderly-wastrel and bitchy Miss Nancy who likes
rough jesuit boxing with dwarf rabbits, and whose partner is a town-pump
with a gaping pee bug said:
Actually I think this could be more to do with the AVI extention than file
size.

If you were using FAT32 you probably wouldn't have been able to save it in
the first place, as FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

Try searching on being unable to move an avi file. It is a known problem
that seems to randomly affect avi files. under XP.

It's not random at all. Are all the OP's files ****ed or missing critical
data though?

is but a dream within a dream.