    insert an object/media clip I receive an error "video not available cannot
    find vids:dvsd decompressor." Can you help?

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 19, 2005

    Sonia Guest

    Is this AVI from a digital camera, by chance? If so, try renaming it to give it
    a file extension of MPG and then insert it and test. Let us know if that makes
    a difference.
    --

    Sonia Coleman
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team

    Sonia, Sep 19, 2005

    The file was a video tape that had been converted.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2005

    Sonia Guest

    Do you know who converted it and what codec was used? That would be a good
    start at pinning it down.

    Sonia, Sep 19, 2005

    The conversion and codec are unknown. The clip plays fine when launched in
    media player and if inserted with an action button but not when inserted as
    an object or movie.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2005

    Sonia Guest

    First, try renaming the file, giving it an extension of MPG. If that doesn't
    work, try downloading and installing the latest version of Windows Media Player.

    If you go to Start > Run and type mplay32.exe and open the video, does it play?
    If not, then it won't play in PowerPoint. See
    http://www.soniacoleman.com/Tutorials/PowerPoint/multimedia.htm for a detailed
    description of how PowerPoint plays media files. Section 3 should be read and
    your settings checked. Also read the section on codecs.

    Let us know if anything helps.

    Sonia, Sep 20, 2005