Text Editor pages - linking to the PL site

Susan Bugher

draft pages (but getting closer to the final product):

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/TextEditors.htm

http://www.woundedmoon.org/text/editor.htm

REMbranded's been working . . .
Lars has been working . . .
I've been working . . .

and I think it's time to decide how the Text Editor pages should be
linked to the Pricelessware site. My personal preference is to list the
Text Editor pages on the INFO page and make them *official*
Pricelessware pages. (The link would be next to the link for *Posting
Tips*.)

The other options I see are to link the pages from the Links page or
from the Members Sites page. If one of those options is chosen then they
would *not* (IMO) be *official* pages.

The page I've been working has the Pricelessware *look*. If the Text
Editor pages are not going to be *official* Pricelessware pages I will
change that.

REMbranded will be hosting the pages at his web site initially and he
will be maintaining them. If they are *official* pages then I would
anticipate moving them to the Pricelessware site at some time in the
future.

This is something new for the Pricelessware site - I hope everyone will
express their opinion on the best way to proceed.

Susan

REMbranded

I see syn 2.5 there, the upcoming version is 2.1 which is much more
stable. We released 2.5 just for getting an overview of the new features,
but it shouldn't be used in an production environment, since it's an very
early version, and much will change.

Thanks Stefan. I noted that it was a pre-alpha release and that there
was an access violation. I'll replace the beta with the stable version
this weekend.

Michael

Susan said:

Thankyou for these links. EdXOR is the lighest, fastest and most functional
editor I have found but I wonder if you know any other small footprint
editor that shows clickable links. I need this for a few url lists I use. In
EdXOR you can select the link and then use context to 'Open URL' or even
assign the F4 key to this function but I would still prefer just to click. I
will not stop using EdXOR for bulk text editing but I would like a second
editor to view links in if you know of an unbloated one. Many thanks.

My Name

Thankyou for these links. EdXOR is the lighest, fastest and
most functional editor I have found but I wonder if you
know any other small footprint editor that shows clickable
links. I need this for a few url lists I use. In EdXOR you
can select the link and then use context to 'Open URL' or
even assign the F4 key to this function but I would still
prefer just to click. I will not stop using EdXOR for bulk
text editing but I would like a second editor to view links
in if you know of an unbloated one. Many thanks.

http://netez.com/2xExplorer look for editor2
Site's down for me right now.

Michael

My Name wrote
http://netez.com/2xExplorer look for editor2
Site's down for me right now.

Thanks I may try this but the dl is off simtel which never works for me.
Never. I usually just forget the software if they only offer simtel links
for dl. Simtel show a long list of mirrors which never work. I bypass
proxomitron and turn off my fw but still simtel is useless even for straight
dl through ie let alone even considering a dl manager. I think they probably
substitute basic practicality for useless complexity. If any one has any
other recommendations for editors would be much appreciated.

My Name

My Name wrote

Thanks I may try this but the dl is off simtel which never
works for me. Never. I usually just forget the software if
they only offer simtel links for dl. Simtel show a long
list of mirrors which never work. I bypass proxomitron and
turn off my fw but still simtel is useless even for
straight dl through ie let alone even considering a dl
manager. I think they probably substitute basic
practicality for useless complexity. If any one has any
other recommendations for editors would be much
appreciated.

This'll do it too, stratuspad however it is larger:
http://www.ealoha.com/winfree.htm
Would you like me to post the other one to a.b.freeware?

John Fitzsimons

draft pages (but getting closer to the final product):

Very pretty. :)

The first time I looked it looked a mess in Firebird. Now it looks
fine. :)
REMbranded's been working . . .
Lars has been working . . .
I've been working . . .
and I think it's time to decide how the Text Editor pages should be
linked to the Pricelessware site. My personal preference is to list the
Text Editor pages on the INFO page and make them *official*
Pricelessware pages. (The link would be next to the link for *Posting
Tips*.)

I think the deciding factor is how often it will be updated. If often
then having it on the PL site might create problems.
The other options I see are to link the pages from the Links page or
from the Members Sites page. If one of those options is chosen then they
would *not* (IMO) be *official* pages.

IMO that might be more "practical".
The page I've been working has the Pricelessware *look*. If the Text
Editor pages are not going to be *official* Pricelessware pages I will
change that.
REMbranded will be hosting the pages at his web site initially and he
will be maintaining them. If they are *official* pages then I would
anticipate moving them to the Pricelessware site at some time in the
future.
This is something new for the Pricelessware site - I hope everyone will
express their opinion on the best way to proceed.

IMO it needs to be able to be downloaded as a spreadsheet.

The "ideal" would possibly be a database. Then one could easily sort
within sorts within sorts. One would need to find all existing columns
and make sure there aren't too many characters for something like
DBEdit to display.

How many existing columns would be too wide for it ? IMO the
description column would probably be the main one.

Once the maximum width of a DbEdit column is ascertained then it
should be relatively easy to put each editor in a single line in a
spreadsheet and look to see how wide each column currently is. I am
pretty sure that there may even be a formulae in programs like Excel
to find column widths.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Bob Adkins

Thankyou for these links. EdXOR is the lighest, fastest and most functional
editor I have found but I wonder if you know any other small footprint
editor that shows clickable links. I need this for a few url lists I use. In
EdXOR you can select the link and then use context to 'Open URL' or even
assign the F4 key to this function but I would still prefer just to click. I
will not stop using EdXOR for bulk text editing but I would like a second
editor to view links in if you know of an unbloated one. Many thanks.

Clickable links are something I can't live without. :)

I enjoy MetaPad, which is very small at 94KB, and has many features for its
minuscule size.

Bob

Tim

(e-mail address removed) on Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:22:39 GMT:

I sugest adding PSPad.
http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html

PSPad features:
work with projects
unlimited length of edited text files
work on several documents at the same time (MDI)
Save desktop session to later reopen all open files
FTP client - you can edit files directly from the web
macro recorder to record, save and load macros
search and replace in files
text difference with color-coded differences highlighted
templates (HTML tags, scripts, code templates...)
installation contains templates for HTML, PHP, Pascal, JScript,
VBScript, MySQL, MS-Dos, Perl,...
syntax highlighting auto set by file type
user-defined highlighters for exotic environments
auto correction
full HEX editor
call external programs, different for each environment
external compiler with catch command output, log window, log parser
for each environment for "IDE" effect
color syntax highlight printing and print preview
integrated TiDy library for formatting and checking HTML code,
conversion to CSS, XML, XHTML
integrated free version of top CSS editor TopStyle Lite
export with highlight to RTF, HTML, TeX format into file or clipboard
column block select, bookmarks, line numbers, ...
reformat and compress HTML code, tags char case change
line sorting with ability to sort on defined column, with option to
drop duplicates
ASCII chart with HTML entities
Code explorer for Pascal, INI, HTML, XML, PHP, and more in future
spell checker (many dictionaries)
internal web browser with APACHE support
matching bracket highlighting

Tim

BillR

Susan Bugher said:
I think it's time to decide how the Text Editor pages should be
linked to the Pricelessware site. My personal preference is to list the
Text Editor pages on the INFO page and make them *official*
Pricelessware pages. (The link would be next to the link for *Posting
Tips*.)

The other options I see are to link the pages from the Links page or
from the Members Sites page.

Best option: A direct link from the appropriate category and/or
subcategory on http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003TEXT.htm

The audience is not so much regular acf contributors who are familiar
with the site, but _visitors_. What will make the site most useful?
This is good information that will help someone choose the "best for
him/her" editor.
If one of those options is chosen then they would *not* (IMO) be
*official* pages.

Eventually this type of information should be part of the site. Let's
title the pages "Experimental" for the rest of the year. I hope that
they will continue to evolve. The next topic area may be presented
differently. Let's not limit ourselves unnecessarily soon.
The page I've been working has the Pricelessware *look*. If the Text
Editor pages are not going to be *official* Pricelessware pages I will
change that.

The individual summaries probably will be more readable in a gutter
style (i.e., align the colons). Unless we include substantial
additional discussion for each (or many) of the editors, why does this
information need to be presented program by program rather than in a
tabular form? That just makes comparing different editors more
difficult.

This is something new for the Pricelessware site
<Snip>

As has been each year. The site is already more than just a simple
tabulation of the vote. Let's continue to make it an ever more useful
freeware reference.

Thanks to all who have made this possible by contributed ideas,
knowledge, and time to this effort.

BillR

Michael

Bob said:
Clickable links are something I can't live without. :)

I enjoy MetaPad, which is very small at 94KB, and has many features
for its minuscule size.

Thanks Bob but Win32Pad (ref post by Wim) has it beat at just 43.5 Kb with
no install and EdXOR at 28 Kb no install and quite remarkable functionality
is in a class of its own.

My Name

Thanks My Name but Win32Pad suggested by Wim fits my needs
perfectly.

Ok, but the other one is a single click URL, and only nearly
twice as large, at 82KBs. :)

Sure I can't tempt ya? ;)

Jus' Kiddin'.
I know what you mean, that win32pad is pretty nice at 44KBs. :)

Susan Bugher

BillR said:
Susan Bugher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
Best option: A direct link from the appropriate category and/or
subcategory on http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003TEXT.htm

IMO Pricelessware program pages should *not* have links to these pages.
Haven't we had this discussion before . . . ;)
The audience is not so much regular acf contributors who are familiar
with the site, but _visitors_. What will make the site most useful?
This is good information that will help someone choose the "best for
him/her" editor.

I disagree. IMO the pages will be most useful to ACF regulars - as an
aid in finding programs to meet their own needs and as an aid in finding
a suitable program to recommend in response to requests in ACF.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.
Eventually this type of information should be part of the site. Let's
title the pages "Experimental" for the rest of the year. I hope that
they will continue to evolve. The next topic area may be presented
differently. Let's not limit ourselves unnecessarily soon.

I don't think any limits are being set. If other new pages are proposed
they will be decided upon in the newsgroup - just as we are doing now
with the text editor pages.
The individual summaries probably will be more readable in a gutter
style (i.e., align the colons).

I'm not aware of any easy way to accomplish this. What do you know that
I don't. :)
Unless we include substantial
additional discussion for each (or many) of the editors, why does this
information need to be presented program by program rather than in a
tabular form? That just makes comparing different editors more
difficult.

AFAIK REMbranded is still deciding what to show where. The draft page I
created is just a starting point . . .

IMO the pages are complimentary. The comparision table is great but I
think it is also helpful to have an alphabetical list and separate
program descriptions to refer to.

Susan