[PL] PL2006 CD - Glitch report

Susan Bugher

Sigh. . .

1. Internet Explorer may not be willing to open the .php web pages that
are included on the CD. AFAICT it's willing to open the on-line PHP web
pages no matter how restricted your Internet security settings are. I'd
appreciate reports from others on this problem. . .

A fix that worked for me is to change this IE setting.

Go to the Tools menu/ "Internet Options" / Advanced

Scroll wayyyyyyy down to "Security" put a check mark in the box that
says "Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer"

2. DVDsig reports three errors if you are using a Win98 OS (invalid
paths in Win98):

<Q>
files\I\Info-RapidSearch&amp;Replace\sr.exe
files\S\SpybotSearch&amp;Destroy\spybotsd14.exe
files\S\SpybotSearch&amp;Destroy\spybotsd_includes.exe
Total:314 OK:311 Bad:0 Missing:3
The operation completed successfully. 311 files, 629MB, 385s
</Q>

Thanks to Jim Jensen for spotting that error. erm. . . Steven Burn told
me XENU didn't like those paths - I should have paid more attention. . .

3. The tables that should be on the Cumulative PL web page are missing.
My bad. . . :(

reported via the Pricelessware links button.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

1. Internet Explorer may not be willing to open the .php web pages that
are included on the CD. AFAICT it's willing to open the on-line PHP web
pages no matter how restricted your Internet security settings are. I'd
appreciate reports from others on this problem. . .

Susan, you don't get php code if you open one a php page line, you get
the code that the page creates. A line on a php page like:

echo '<tr>\n'

sends your browser the line

which a browser understands.

Browsers won't execute the former line (consider it the start of a new
line in a table), they'll just show a it as text.

Lew/+Silat

Susan said:
[...]

Ok that is it Susan..
The Donald says, " You're fired "!!

:)
Thanks for all you do Susan.

Lew/+Silat

Susan Bugher

Al said:
Susan, you don't get php code if you open one a php page line, you get
the code that the page creates. A line on a php page like:

echo '<tr>\n'

sends your browser the line

which a browser understands.

Browsers won't execute the former line (consider it the start of a new
line in a table), they'll just show a it as text.

Thanks for the lesson Al. Evidently you've forgotten that I wrote the
PHP web pages we're discussing. ;)

Now please explain to me why MS thinks that the plain old ordinary HTML
web page with a .php extension that you see in your browser when you're
on-line is a menace when you save it on your hard drive or acquire it on
a CD? and/or explain why a *real* PHP web page is a menace on your hard
drive? Very few people are running the Apache web server that's needed
to interpret PHP scripting. . .

Has MS lost the plot or am I missing something?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Thanks for the lesson Al. Evidently you've forgotten that I wrote
the PHP web pages we're discussing. ;)

The files on the CD are the html files which are generated by the php,
right? I mean, they're the html output of the php and just have the
filename extension .php? If not, ignore everything I wrote below.
Now please explain to me why MS thinks that the plain old ordinary
HTML web page with a .php extension that you see in your browser
when you're on-line is a menace when you save it on your hard
drive or acquire it on a CD? and/or explain why a *real* PHP web
page is a menace on your hard drive? Very few people are running
the Apache web server that's needed to interpret PHP scripting. .
.

Has MS lost the plot or am I missing something?

I don't know if this will help or just raise more questions.

The Microsoft way is to look at a file's extension to tell what kind
of file it is. With pages delivered from the web, this doesn't
apply because IE sees that they are served with the MIME type
text/html. The server sends that info right before it sends the
document.

But when a local file is clicked, since there's no MIME type
declaration, IE only looks to its extension to try to figure out
what to do with it. If the extension is PHP, IE (apparently)
assumes it is some kind of script and goes into warn-the-user mode.
For me, local html files with a .php extension are displayed by IE
as raw text until I click to tell IE they're ok to render.

Every other browser I've tried looks to the file's DOCTYPE
declaration and knows how to proceed.

Off-hand, I can't think of a way to support IE other than changing
the files' extensions to .htm and doing a global search-and-replace
to fix the links before the files go onto the CD. Or file a bug
report with the IE team. ;)

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher

»Q« said:
The files on the CD are the html files which are generated by the php,
right? I mean, they're the html output of the php and just have the
filename extension .php? If not, ignore everything I wrote below.

That's correct.
[...]

I did find (and posted) one simple work-around. Will file a bug report
RSN. ;)

I think this problem may occur ONLY if you're using WinXP *SP2*. IIRC
the links worked in Win98 and WinXP last year.

I'd like reports from the group. Please. . .

Let me know what your OS is and whether you can use IE to open/view the
"PHP" files on the CD. The simplest way to check is to start with the
"index.html" file on either the PL2005 or PL2006 CD and see if *any* of
the "PHP" navigation links work (there's one broken link on the PL2005
CD).

TIA :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Omar=A9?=

Susan said:
That's correct.

I did find (and posted) one simple work-around. Will file a bug report
RSN. ;)

I think this problem may occur ONLY if you're using WinXP *SP2*. IIRC
the links worked in Win98 and WinXP last year.

I'd like reports from the group. Please. . .

Let me know what your OS is and whether you can use IE to open/view the
"PHP" files on the CD. The simplest way to check is to start with the
"index.html" file on either the PL2005 or PL2006 CD and see if *any* of
the "PHP" navigation links work (there's one broken link on the PL2005
CD).

TIA :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan on my XP SP2 does not work, it asks to update a photo album
aplication.
Luckily I use NS so I do not have a problem.
Omar

Susan Bugher

Omar© said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Susan on my XP SP2 does not work, it asks to update a photo album
aplication.

Thanks Omar. I'm hoping to hear from people running WinXP *without* SP2
or people running Win 98/ME/2K - my hunch ATM is that those OS will
allow you to open the "PHP" files in IE. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helen

Susan Bugher said:
Thanks Omar. I'm hoping to hear from people running WinXP *without* SP2
or people running Win 98/ME/2K - my hunch ATM is that those OS will
allow you to open the "PHP" files in IE. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
I'm using XP-Home SP1. I used BitTorrent to obtain the CD then used the newly

If I select OffByOne from the "Internet" category, scroll down to it and click on the
url, then it
takes me to OB1. If I click Category Index all I get from IE is the white page with
the ... oops...
now some are working and some aren't. I'll keep checking and let you know later.
At the
moment it seems to be a sometimes thing. Initially there were none now some seem to
be
working and others don't.

Helen

Al Klein

Thanks for the lesson Al. Evidently you've forgotten that I wrote the
PHP web pages we're discussing. ;)

Didn't forget - never knew. Sorry.
Has MS lost the plot or am I missing something?

You're missing that they never had it in the first place. (My name is
Al and I'm a MS basher. :) )

Helen

Helen said:
I'm using XP-Home SP1. I used BitTorrent to obtain the CD then used the newly
acquired
ImgBurn to burn it to CD. No. The php extension files won't open with SP1 either.
At least
not here they won't.

If I select OffByOne from the "Internet" category, scroll down to it and click on the
url, then it
takes me to OB1. If I click Category Index all I get from IE is the white page with
the ... oops...
now some are working and some aren't. I'll keep checking and let you know later.
At the
moment it seems to be a sometimes thing. Initially there were none now some seem to
be
working and others don't.

Helen

Naw! None of the selections from Index open. All give 'page cannot be found'. This
is
XP-Home, SP1. I can, however, go to the program url and open it, but not from the
So, presumably the php extensions are unrecognizable to IE! ?

Still seeding. Will continue non-stop through (until) 6:00A.M Tuesday, then in the
evenings...from 5:00 P.M through 5:00 A.M during the week. Back to 24 hrs for the
week-ends. HTH.

Helen

Al Klein

I think this problem may occur ONLY if you're using WinXP *SP2*. IIRC
the links worked in Win98 and WinXP last year.

Well, of course. SP2 *fixes things*.

(Now maybe they'll understand why one shouldn't "fix" what's not
broken.)
I'd like reports from the group. Please. . .

SP2 here - I see the raw text. Firefox 1.07 works as intended - I see
the web page. But you knew that. :)

Susan Bugher

Al said:
Didn't forget - never knew. Sorry.

da nada. :)
You're missing that they never had it in the first place. (My name is
Al and I'm a MS basher. :) )

My name is Susan and I'm getting there too. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

oldfart

Thanks Omar. I'm hoping to hear from people running WinXP *without* SP2
or people running Win 98/ME/2K - my hunch ATM is that those OS will
allow you to open the "PHP" files in IE. . .

Susan

I have just found that if I right click on links and then choose to open
it in a new window it works !!!! wonder why
regards
Owen
oldfart

Nicolaas Hawkins

I have just found that if I right click on links and then choose to open
it in a new window it works !!!! wonder why
regards
Owen
oldfart

Might I remind you that it is Windows you are talking about?
It is not for one to ask "why", but to accept gratefully and
unquestioningly that which simply "is". :-\

Nicolaas.

.... The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the
right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at a tempting moment.

Al Klein

It's too late for me to start analyzing the pages, but the links at
the top of PL2006ProgramIndex.php work. Starting at the link to
/2006/PL2006MULTIMEDIA.php#0003-PW, the 1by1 link, they don't work if
left-clicked.

Thanks, Bill, that makes sense. NOT!

Lou

Susan said:
Thanks Omar. I'm hoping to hear from people running WinXP *without* SP2
or people running Win 98/ME/2K - my hunch ATM is that those OS will
allow you to open the "PHP" files in IE. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

FWIW anyone running XP that has not installed SP2 is making a big mistake.

Lou

Susan Bugher

It's too late for me to start analyzing the pages, but the links at
the top of PL2006ProgramIndex.php work. Starting at the link to
/2006/PL2006MULTIMEDIA.php#0003-PW, the 1by1 link, they don't work if
left-clicked.
Thanks, Bill, that makes sense. NOT!

Hi Al,

I couldn't have put it better myself. ;)

I've found more confirmation that Microsoft's Service Pack 2 is the
culprit that breaks the web pages. I've also found another problem.
Luckily this one doesn't effect people *using* the CD.

All the links on the CD were verified with XENU. The web pages were all
validated with the W3C Markup Validation Service at
http://validator.w3.org/

The pages that were validated were online pages. Quess what? The pages
that are on the CD cannot be validated by sending a local file to the
validator. Information about the SP2 problem is here:

http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/01/Validator-IE_WinXP_SP2

<Q>
Validation by file upload and Internet Explorer on WinXP SP2

From September 2004 to February 2005, a bug in Windows XP Service Pack
2 (SP2) was breaking the "validation by file upload" feature of the W3C
Markup Validator when used on browser "Internet Explorer". The bug was
reportedly fixed by the Windows security updates released in February
2005. We encourage validator users still experiencing the problem to
update their system.

This page is kept here as an archive for the fixes, workarounds and
information on the issue.

Working around this issue

(updated 2005-02-09) With the release of Windows updates meant to fix
the issue, the most simple solution should be to apply the security
updates, especially MS05-014.

If the above does not work, here are a few other possible workarounds:

* A simple solution is to use a different browser. The Validator's
file upload mechanism is reported to work normally with most, if not all
browsers (except Internet Explorer), even on WinXP SP2.
* Alternatively, publishing the document to validate on the Web and
publishing by URL also works.
</Q>

I imagine Mozilla was one of the browsers they checked and found to work
normally. If so .php extension is an exception. I tried to validate a
file by upload using Mozilla. This was the result:

<Q>
Result: Failed validation,
File: test-PL2006ProgramIndex.php
Encoding:
Doctype:

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
application/octet-stream, which is not currently supported by this service.

The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you
use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration.
Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such
as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).
</Q>

Then I uploaded the file to the Pricelessware site. This was the result:

<Q>
The document located at
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/test-PL2006ProgramIndex.php> was
checked and found to be valid HTML 4.01 Transitional. This means that
the resource in question identified itself as "HTML 4.01 Transitional"
and that we successfully performed a formal validation using an SGML or
XML Parser (depending on the markup language used).
</Q>

Conclusion: The IE browsing problem is a Microsoft bug.
Remedy 1: Use another browser.
Remedy 2: Issue our own "Service Pack" -> a revised set of web pages.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware