[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals

Mike Bourke

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
I think FreePdfXP
can be PW, while FreePdf could do with a 'honored mentioning' within
the FreePdfXP entry. (For all those still using Win9x or NT4.0).

I don't run XP so FreePdfXP is definitly not pricelessware to me - except in
the sense that I wouldn't pay anything for it, for that reason! That said,
there is nothing wrong with splitting the nomination into two entries -
except that this runs the hazard of splitting the votes. I would suggest
instead that a comment be added that the non-XP version may have reduced
functionality. Though most of us who are still using Win98 expect that as a
matter of course.

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher

<Rant>
What part of NO DONATION FOR THE *PROGRAM* ITSELF don't you understand?!!

IIRC most of the 61 *other* Donationware programs on the nominations
list are apps whose authors have not requested a donation "FOR THE
*PROGRAM* ITSELF". The main "test" used for the Ware Glossary's
definition of Donationware has always been simple and straightforward.
If the author requests donations on his/her web site the app is
Donationware.

http://shbox.de/fpx732.htm

I have visited the donation page for this app several times now, I don't
understand German, Babelfish doesn't work. . . but AFAICT the donation
page is substantially the same as the donation pages on other
Donationware web sites (IOW - I don't think there is any mention of
payment for support services).

AFAICT this app is Donationware by our current definition.

IMO if we have a Ware type in the glossary and use it in program
descriptions we should maintain a uniform standard of ware type
evaluation. You called that nit-picking - I call it being fair.

The Ware Glossary was created to end some of the constant bickering
about ware definitions. This year the bickering has resumed with a
vengeance. enough already. . .

Donationware is part of the Ware Glossary because that's what the
newsgroup participants who participated in the initial Ware Glossary
discussion wanted. If there is no support *now* for having this Ware
type it should be removed. *Any* ware definitions that are not supported
by newsgroup participants in discussions of programs *now* should be
removed. If we *don't* have a consensus on the meaning of a definition
the definition is worthless.

That's pretty much EOT for me.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

I don't run XP so FreePdfXP is definitly not pricelessware to me - except in
the sense that I wouldn't pay anything for it, for that reason!

Although I've installed XP somewhere on a lonely partition for testing
purposes, I don't use this bloatware for days work, either. Win2kPro
is also okay with FreePdfXP, but no option for you.

Although there wasn't a new version of FreePdf since January 2004, the
functionality isn't that different at the moment. Most changes are
internal for better support of the Win2k driver model. So you should
do fine with FreePdf.
That said, there is nothing wrong with splitting the nomination into two
entries - except that this runs the hazard of splitting the votes.

The patient was in perfect condition. Unfortunately, he was dead. ;-)
FreePdf and FreePdf XP aren't that well-known outside Germany. (Mostly
because of the non-English homepage, I think.) So I would be surprised
seeing them getting PW in a *combined* vote. Let alone a split one...
I would suggest instead that a comment be added that the non-XP version
may have reduced functionality. Though most of us who are still using
Win98 expect that as a matter of course.

Tried sth. like that and was told by Susan, that's not an option.
I hope, my last suggestion of the description gets through. ;-) And
shows differences and similarities well enough...

BeAr

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

If the author requests donations on his/her web site the app is
Donationware.

And if the author sells t-shirts on his homepage, then the program is
Lightware. Because he offers *something* commercially on his site.

Btw.: Stefan doesn't *request* donations but requests *not to donate*.
He just does not want to be bothered by email.

BeAr

REM

AutoStreamer
Company: AutoStreamer Author: Antonis Kaladis; Ben Burrows
(Donationware) (free)
Windows OS:
Languages: English and other languages
Windows setup files. All you need is your Windows CD or a local share,
a Service Pack for that version of Windows, and a CD-Writer to burn
the CD image. AutoStreamer is an application that makes slipstreaming
easier, it is menu driven and includes many features that will help
make sure your CD is created properly.
Major Geeks info and download (no-install version):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4444.html 533k
UBCD4Win direct download (installer)
http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads/AutoStreamer.exe 847k

Thanks Steven!

There seems to be two programs that are easily confused; AutoPatcher
and AutoStreamer. I cannot find any real info describing exactly what
each is. None from an author's site anyway.

AutoPatcher is 176 MBs and evidently has the service packs and
miscellanous update files included. I've never used this and I
currently have no way to d/l it.

AutoStreamer v1.0.30 is 847k and is just the program. I have used
this. It works with the MS Critical Update CD, so downloading the 176
mb. "big brother" isn't really necessary if you have the update CD.

Major Geeks provides a brief description. The rest I added to explain
in more detail what it is and why it is beneficial. Ben was involved
and the direct download is from his site. It is explained briefly in
the tutorial, but it's a lengthy one.

How does the above look?

Should I add the description that I wrote?

This program will read your Windows install CD and a service pack on
your hard drive. It will create a new .iso to create a new Windows
Install CD with the service pack incorporated into it. This saves much
time in future reinstalls and provides you with an important backup of
your MS Install CD

For recovery CDs: Follow the directions on the following page to
create a clean Windows Install CD. You will need to backup your
drivers with a program like WinDrivers Backup or download the various
drivers and burn them to a CD. Then use Autopatcher to create an .iso
to create a new install CD with the latest service packs incorporated
within it."

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm#ME

Susan Bugher

REM said:
AutoStreamer

AHEM!!! ;)
Windows OS: _____________________ ???
There seems to be two programs that are easily confused; AutoPatcher
and AutoStreamer. I cannot find any real info describing exactly what
each is. None from an author's site anyway.

IMO this is the home page for both apps:
http://www.autopatcher.com/

but AutoStreamer's forum thread might be a better starting point. I
think you can use that link for "project description; download" etc.
etc. etc.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

At a quick glance it looks like you can find all the info/downloads there.
Should I add the description that I wrote?

IMO a description should tell people *why* they might want the app - add
away. . . Blurbs by the author are "description" - Your own comments
are "NOTES". FYI - I see a link on the forum page to a guide. If you
decide to link to another tutorial that's best done with a desc./link
after the main links to the app/downloads.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

REM said:
AutoStreamer

Eligible for nomination. :)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#3478

AutoStreamer
Company: AutoStreamer Author: Antonis Kaladis; Ben Burrows
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 2000/XP; Windows Server 2003 NOTES: Supported
Service Pack files: Windows 2000: SP3 and later; Windows XP: Any;
Windows 2003: Any
Languages: English
Windows setup files. All you need is your Windows CD or a local share, a
Service Pack for that version of Windows, and a CD-Writer to burn the CD
image. AutoStreamer is an application that makes slipstreaming easier,
it is menu driven and includes many features that will help make sure
your CD is created properly. NOTES: This program will read your Windows
install CD and a service pack on your hard drive. It will create a new
..iso to create a new Windows Install CD with the service pack
incorporated into it. This saves much time in future reinstalls and
provides you with an important backup of your MS Install CD
Program description; download v 1.0.33 (2005-01-05) [ AutoStreamer.exe
(847 KB)]
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562
Blog (alternate download page)
http://autopatcher.modblog.com/core.mod?show=blogview&blog_id=400120

-----------

notes: Major Geeks has an old version. There was a zip version too at
one time (old versions) - now there is only an .exe. I added a link to
the author's blog. I dunno if there are any languages besides English -
please advise.

Maybe pick an easier one next time? ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Miles

HTML2POP3
Site: http://www.baccan.it/index.php?sezione=html2pop3&email=si

Freeware/Opensource
Windows OS:32bit
Other OS: Mac OS X; Linux;
Language:Italian/English

HTML2POP3 is a virtual POP3, SMTP and NNTP server.

All these protocols are virtualized with HTTP comunication, this
means that you can connect with a real POP3 server that get
all your commands and call a remote HTTP server, get the information
you need and transform it in valid POP3 reply.

These tecnique is expanded to all the protocol emulated by HTML2POP3

POP3:
1) virtualize some HTTP Webmail giving a real POP3 interface
2) offer a POP3 tunneling to any real POP3 server
3) Support RSS to POP3 automatic conversion

SMTP:
1) offer a SMTP tunneling to any real SMTP server

NNTP:
1) Emulate a NNTP server using google newsgroup

All server are plugin based, for extend in an easy way the
functionalities
of the program

All the program is open source, and java written.

Download:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/html2pop3/html2pop3228win32.
zip?download

ggrothendieck

I had previously provided an improved description for R but
noticed that the old description is still there. I think one
of the reasons R was not selected last year is that the old
description is so poor focusing several sentences on S which
is basically useless unless you already know what S is and
even if you do it lacked focus.

Please update the description.

01 PROGRAM NAME: R
07 DESCRIPTION AND NOTES: Comprehensive interactive statistical
and scientific computing package. Builtin object oriented
programming language, many GUI front ends available
(http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/), manuals, comprehensive help
pages, 2D and 3D graphics (gallery at
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/), online RNews newsletter,
books and other publications, regular conferences, high volume
mailing lists, 600 free addon packages (up from 400 last year).
12 FILE VERSION: R 2.2.0
13 RELEASE DATE: 2005-10-06
15 FILE NAME: R-2.2.0-win32.exe

Susan Bugher

Miles said:

If this program receives support from other newsgroup participants it
will be added to the nominations list.

FYI: The nomination list is compiled before nominations begin. If a
valuable program was not submitted in the program description period it
can be added but late additions need support from the group. Requests
for support should be posted in the discussion threads.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

I had previously provided an improved description for R but
noticed that the old description is still there.

??? This year's description is quite a bit different from last year's.

last year:

computing package. Builtin object oriented programming language,
graphics, manuals, comprehensive help pages, online RNews newsletter,
books and other publications, annual conference, active mailing lists,
400+ addon packages.
(2004-09-18)

current:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php#3479

and graphics. It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and
environment which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now
Lucent Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be
considered as a different implementation of S. There are some important
differences, but much code written for S runs unaltered under R. R
provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modelling,
classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification,
clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible. The
S language is often the vehicle of choice for research in statistical
methodology, and R provides an Open Source route to participation in
that activity. One of R's strengths is the ease with which well-designed
publication-quality plots can be produced, including mathematical
symbols and formulae where needed. Great care has been taken over the
defaults for the minor design choices in graphics, but the user retains
full control.
(2005-10-16)

The above information was excerpted from the R web pages - specifically:
http://www.r-project.org/about.html
Please update the description.
07 DESCRIPTION AND NOTES: Comprehensive interactive statistical
and scientific computing package. Builtin object oriented
programming language, many GUI front ends available
(http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/), manuals, comprehensive help
pages, 2D and 3D graphics (gallery at
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/), online RNews newsletter,
books and other publications, regular conferences, high volume
mailing lists, 600 free addon packages (up from 400 last year).

Please let me know if you prefer the above description to the *current*
description.
12 FILE VERSION: R 2.2.0
13 RELEASE DATE: 2005-10-06
15 FILE NAME: R-2.2.0-win32.exe

That's not a change - *current* description:

Home page:
http://www.r-project.org/
download page v 2.2.0 (2005-10-06) [ R-2.2.0-win32.exe (26593 KB)]
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/
(desc. rev.: 2005-10-16)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Miles

What means "need support from the group"?

If this program receives support from other newsgroup participants it
will be added to the nominations list.

FYI: The nomination list is compiled before nominations begin. If a
valuable program was not submitted in the program description period it
can be added but late additions need support from the group. Requests
for support should be posted in the discussion threads.

Susan

Susan Bugher

What means "need support from the group"?

Programs that are added now should be valuable programs that were
overlooked earlier. "Support from the group" means other people posting
that this is a a program they would like to *vote* for - that it's a
program they think should be on the Pricelessware List. You need support
for this program from at least one other newsgroup participant.

If a program is not well known and well liked in the newsgroup it
doesn't have much chance of being selected for the Pricelessware List.
It may not even be on the ballot - that requires a nomination *and* a
second. There are 29 programs on the 2006 Pricelessware Nominations List
now that are still waiting for a second (four of them haven't even been
nominated). Programs that are late additions to the Nomination List need
to show they have support - that their nomination will be seconded.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ggrothendieck

07 DESCRIPTION AND NOTES: Comprehensive interactive statistical
and scientific computing package. Builtin object oriented
programming language, many GUI front ends available
(http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/), manuals, comprehensive help
pages, 2D and 3D graphics (gallery at
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/), online RNews newsletter,
books and other publications, regular conferences, high volume
mailing lists, 600 free addon packages (up from 400 last year).
Please let me know if you prefer the above description to the *current*
description.

Sorry for confusing which version was when.

Yes, the description above seems better to me since it
focuses on what R is rather than its relationship to S which
is only useful if you happen to know S and in that case one
would almost certainly know about R anyways. Also the
above is shorter making it easier to read and it provides some
links, particularly the R gallery, that some people might find
useful to review when deciding to install it.

Thanks.

Susan Bugher

Sorry for confusing which version was when.

No problem, just wanted to make sure we were both looking at the same
version of the description.
Yes, the description above seems better to me since it
focuses on what R is rather than its relationship to S which
is only useful if you happen to know S and in that case one
would almost certainly know about R anyways. Also the
above is shorter making it easier to read and it provides some
links, particularly the R gallery, that some people might find
useful to review when deciding to install it.

Okay, I'll make the revision.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

If the program becomes PW this year I'll try to contact Daniel. (Maybe
this promise gets the program a push-up for PW. And a PW selection could
encourage Daniel, too... ;-) )

For the record: No answer from Daniel during the last couple of weeks.
:-(

BeAr

Trevor Frew

hmmmm. . . no new descriptions posted. . . nothing. . . nada. . .

************* Plan B *****************

I suspect the group will want to *nominate* a whole lot of programs that
aren't on the current list of elegible programs. Making that happen is
going to require some drastic changes in the format of the Pricelessware
List. The only viable option I see ATM:

Program submittals will require this information:

Category/Subcategory
Program name
Company name and/or Author's name
Ware description
ONE URL (maximum)

The 2006 Pricelessware List will look like the ACF pages - there will be
no detailed descriptions. Note also: there will be no PL2006 CD (not
enough information).

Comments please.

Susan

********************************

Below is a list below of the *108* PL2005 programs that do not have
posted descriptions.

ActivIcons
Zoner Draw 3

******************
The only thing I can suggest is that someone finds out if they're
still alive, and go with the recommendation of last year.

That is: if they made the list last year, and still exist, they stay
with the same description and are on the list this year. Requires
quite a bit of work.

The only other way is to publish last year's list as is, and same
year.

Regards, Trevor

Susan Bugher

The only thing I can suggest is that someone finds out if they're
still alive, and go with the recommendation of last year.

erm. . . Please note the Oct. 09, 2005 date. Much has happened since
then. . .

The 2006 Pricelessware List is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mike Bourke

Susan Bugher said:
erm. . . Please note the Oct. 09, 2005 date. Much has happened since
then. . .

The 2006 Pricelessware List is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php

Susan
--

Nevertheless, this was an issue that was never properly resolved. The best
answer that I can get is to operate in a similar manner to that which has

1. Generate a list of simple quick questions: Has the software been updated?
Is it still supported? Is it still available from site X? Is it still
freeware?
2. Generate a list of software and divide them into bundles of 5 or 10.
3. Call for volunteers to check the info for a block and report back. If
there aren't enough volunteers, call for a second round - excluding anyone
who hasn't reported back by a deadline.

I would also suggest that where we are offiering a link to "the last
freeware version" that we consider it automatically nominated, since it is
unlikely to have changed. All that needs to be done for these is verify that
the link is still active. A shortlist of just those few should be relatively
easy to draw up over the next 9 months or so.

Mike Bourke