[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals - Resource Hacker

CATEGORY: PROGRAMMING
SUBCATEGORY: Resource Tool: Editor-Extractor
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged): angusj (at) myrealbox (Dot) com

01 (PROGRAM NAME) Resource Hacker
02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Freeware, Abandonware
03 (OS-WIN) all 32-bit MS Windows (Win95 to Win2003)
04 (OS-NOTES)
05 (OS-OTHER)
06 (LANGUAGES) English; Simplified Chinese; Traditional Chinese; Japanese
07 (DESCRIPTION) Resource Hacker(TM) is a utility to view, modify, rename,
add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource
files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and
decompiler. Cursor, Icon, Bitmap, GIF, AVI, and JPG resource images can be
viewed. WAV and MIDI audio resources can be played. Menus, Dialogs,
MessageTables, StringTables, Accelerators, Delphi Forms, and VersionInfo
resources can be viewed as decompiled resource scripts. Menus and Dialogs
can also be viewed as they would appear in a running application. Resources
can be saved as image files, as script files, as binary resource files, or
as untyped binary files. Resources can be modified by replacing the
resource with a resource located in another file or by using the internal
resource script compiler. Dialog controls can also be visually moved and/or
resized by clicking and dragging the respective dialog controls prior to
recompiling with the internal compiler. Resources can be added to an
application by copying them from external resource files.
07a (NOTES)
08 (COMPANY) n/a
08a (AUTHOR) Angus Johnson
09 (LINK 1 DESCRIPTION) Homepage and Download v3.4.0 (2002-03-24)
(ResHack.zip) (541 KB); localizations
10 (LINK 1) http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker
11 (LINK 2 DESCRIPTION)
12 (LINK 2)
13 (LINK 3 DESCRIPTION)
14 (LINK 3)

BeAr

Adam Piggott

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals - Everest Dictionary

CATEGORY: BUSINESS-HOME
SUBCATEGORY: Dictionary
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged): vladutu (at) free-soft (dot) ro

01 (PROGRAM NAME) Everest Dictionary
02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Donationware
03 (OS-WIN) all 32-bit MS Windows (Win95 to Win2003)
04 (OS-NOTES)
05 (OS-OTHER) Linux
06 (LANGUAGES) English, Romanian, Italian, French, Spanish, German
07 (DESCRIPTION) A dictionary program which at the moment includes 35
different dictionaries. It consists of multiple engines - Instant
Translator (Hotkey based), Translator (for translation of larger texts),
Glossary (Web-based shared dictionary), Learning Tool and Game (learn words
and test knowledge). Supports MS Agent for pronunciation of English words.
07a (NOTES) Dictionary databases and other single language packages are
available for download. If there are errors at the launch of Everest.exe,
download and install the support for the pronunciation agent from the
Microsoft website - (Microsoft core components, American English speech
engine)
08 (COMPANY) Free Soft
08a (AUTHOR) Daniel Vladutu
09 (LINK 1 DESCRIPTION) Homepage
10 (LINK 1) http://www.free-soft.ro/index-en.html
11 (LINK 2 DESCRIPTION) Program description; download v 3.10 (2004-02-09)
(translation engine) (Dictionary.exe) (1138 KB); (translation engine;
English dictionaries) (EverestEnglish.exe) (13867 KB) (translation engine;
all dictionaries) (Everest310.zip) (79 MB)
12 (LINK 2) http://www.free-soft.ro/download.html
13 (LINK 3 DESCRIPTION) MS Agent (for systems missing it)
14 (LINK 3) http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads.htm

BeAr

Susan Bugher

Adam said:
[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals - FSUM

CATEGORY: FILE UTILITIES
SUBCATEGORY: FILES: VALIDATE
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged): info (at) slavasoft (dot) com

01 (PROGRAM NAME) FSUM
02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Freeware
03 (OS-WIN) all 32-bit (Win95 to Win2003)
04 (OS-NOTES)
05 (OS-OTHER)
06 (LANGUAGES) English
07 (DESCRIPTION) A fast and handy command line utility for file integrity
verification. It offers a choice of 13 of the most popular hash and
checksum functions for file message digest and checksum calculation.
07a (NOTES) Checksums supported: MD2, MD4, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-2( 256, 384,
512), RIPEMD-160, PANAMA, TIGER, ADLER32, CRC32. Tested on file sizes of
up to 15 GB. Supports a custom hash algorithm (MD4-based) used in eDonkey
and eMule applications. Can act recursively.
08 (COMPANY) SlavaSoft Inc.
08a (AUTHOR) n/a
09 (LINK 1 DESCRIPTION) Home page
10 (LINK 1) http://www.slavasoft.com/
11 (LINK 2 DESCRIPTION) FSUM page
12 (LINK 2) http://www.slavasoft.com/fsum/index.htm

Hello Adam,

Please post a revised program description. Programs will be added IF all
the necessary information is furnished.

The preliminary PL2006 web pages have many examples of program
descriptions:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ProgramIndex.php

Your description is incomplete. For instance: Where is the download
page? What is the download? I don't see a program version, release date,
file name, file size. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals - FreePdfXP

CATEGORY: TEXT
SUBCATEGORY: Convert Text To PDF
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged): stefanheinz (at) cvmx (dot) de

01 (PROGRAM NAME) FreePdfXP
02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Freeware
03 (OS-WIN) Win2000, WinXP, Win2003
04 (OS-NOTES) on Win2003 msvbvm50.dll must exist
05 (OS-OTHER) FreePdf for Win9x (up to WinME), WinNT (up to 4.0) with less
functionality
06 (LANGUAGES) German, English and other languages
07 (DESCRIPTION) Easily to control GUI wrapper to GhostScript, RedMon, and
the Windows printing system to create *.pdf files from any application with
printer output. Provides support for the conversation of *.ps files
(Windows Shell extension) and for combining *.pdf files.
07a (NOTES) Requires GhostScript installed; only German homepage
08 (COMPANY) n/a
08a (AUTHOR) Stefan Heinz
09 (LINK 1 DESCRIPTION) Homepage (No deep links for Download permitted!);
FreePdfXP v3.04 (2005-08-11) FreePDFXP3.04.EXE (648 KB); FreePdf for Win9x,
WinNT v2.11 (2004-11-01) freepdf211.exe (1 MB)
10 (LINK 1) http://www.shbox.de
11 (LINK 2 DESCRIPTION) dedicated Homepage (same as above)
12 (LINK 2) http://freepdfxp.de
13 (LINK 3 DESCRIPTION) GhostScript
14 (LINK 3) http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost

BeAr

Adam Piggott

Susan said:
Adam said:
[...]

Sorry. The instructions on
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php did not specify
that those details were mandatory nor the format I should be using to make
this information easy to process. I'll make sure to include them in future;
please find below a revised description.

The download page is specified on lines 11/12.

[...]

11 (LINK 2 DESCRIPTION) FSUM page (download)
12 (LINK 2) http://www.slavasoft.com/fsum/index.htm

v 2.51 (2004-06-07)
[fsum.zip (80K)]

- --
Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing).
http://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/

Please replace dot invalid with dot uk to email me.
Apply personally for PGP public key.

Susan Bugher

Adam said:
Sorry. The instructions on
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php did not specify
that those details were mandatory nor the format I should be using to make
this information easy to process. I'll make sure to include them in future;
please find below a revised description.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't seem to write a good set of
instructions for program descriptions. :(

The numbered list isn't a necessity. Submitting a program description
that looks like the descriptions on the PL2006 pages and has the same
kind of info will work just fine.

There are a lot of items of infomation formatted in specific ways on the
program pages (existing descriptions are a good guide to that).

BUT. . . Don't sweat the small stuff.

The main/only requirement/necessity is the inclusion of all necessary
information.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

08 (COMPANY) K-Meleon development team
08a (AUTHOR) n/a

Hallo Susan,

you changed the above to:

| Company: -- Author: Ulf Erikson

Why? As I see it, people like Andrew Mutch, Jeff Doozan and *many*
other should be sincerely disappointed... It's definitely a group
offspring.

BeAr

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

08 (COMPANY) Ethereal development team
08a (AUTHOR) n/a

Hallo Susan,

as with K-Meleon the Ethereal program is a product of a huge group of
developers. The list of contributors to this project spans several
pages. But (because Ethereal has an author who started it all) maybe:

<Gerald Combs and others>

would be okay. Your current entry:

| Company: -- Author: Gerald Combs; Guy Harris; ulfl

just lists the 3 authors communicating (at the moment) on SourceForge.
That's surely not a representative selection.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
Hallo Susan,

you changed the above to:

| Company: -- Author: Ulf Erikson

Why? As I see it, people like Andrew Mutch, Jeff Doozan and *many*
other should be sincerely disappointed... It's definitely a group
offspring.

I went by the information on this page which lists only Ulf Erikson as a
developer:

http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=14285

Is there a better reference?

for the record - the current description:

K-meleon
Company: -- Author: Ulf Erikson
(Freeware) (open source: GNU GPL)
Windows OS: Windows NOTES: *.dll update required for Win 9x; Win NT
Languages: English; language packs for other languages
web browser based on the Gecko layout engine (the rendering engine of
Mozilla). It supports customization for toolbar, menu, context menu, and
keyboard shortcuts, uses themes and skins, provides plugins and advanced
macro capabilities. NOTES: Optimized for speed and small memory footprint
Home page:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
Project Page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/
download page v 0.9 (2005-01-17) [ kmeleon09.exe (4876 KB)]
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14285

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Donationware

Hallo Susan,

You marked the Everest Dictionary as:

| (Betaware) (Donationware) (free)

We went through the same last year (for just the same unchanged version).
Let me copy it:

| Susan, you shouldn't flag Everest Betaware, although the website states
| so. The Info inside the program, the help file (what's new section) -
| all refer to a full version. And version 3.10 has been available for more
| than half a year. It's just: Daniel seems to be a bit to lazy to change
| the website.

And just in case (2 posts later):

| Hi Susan,
|
| there is still the 'beta' entry which you added to the download info
| left. Please delete this one, too. It's a very stressful time for you
| at the moment, I know... ;-)

Some things never change... ;-)

BeAr

Susan Bugher

Hallo Susan,

You marked the Everest Dictionary as:

| (Betaware) (Donationware) (free)

We went through the same last year (for just the same unchanged version).
Let me copy it:

| Susan, you shouldn't flag Everest Betaware, although the website states
| so. The Info inside the program, the help file (what's new section) -
| all refer to a full version. And version 3.10 has been available for more
| than half a year. It's just: Daniel seems to be a bit to lazy to change
| the website.
Some things never change... ;-)

Yup - that includes Daniel's web site. ;) FWIW - I did review last
year's conversation as I was preparing the description. . . IMO it
should be labeled Betaware. . . The ware glossary says:

"Betaware: a preliminary but useable version of what will be the final
version of a program. Beta versions are intended for testing by users
(alpha versions are test versions for the developers)."

Some apps have two tracks, stable verions and beta versions. Those beta
versions are *usually* intended for testing as per the above. . . but.
.. . in general. . .

That classic definition of Betaware seems to be honored as much in the
breach as in the observance. . . Some developers never go out of beta,
some non-beta versions are anything but stable. IMO a team of experts is
needed to decide whether an app is *really* Betaware. . . Are you
volunteering to head up the effort?

The Betaware label tells me if updates apply to a Pricelessware app. If
an app is labeled Betaware I pay attention to beta updates. If it is not
I ignore them. The Betaware label is *necessary* if the author uses it.
I have no objection to adding a note to the ware description (if it is
warranted) saying that a beta is in fact stable - as I did with Frhed. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Hallo Susan,

I'm not too happy with the result of your editing of the FreePdfXP
entry:
01 (PROGRAM NAME) FreePdfXP
PW| FreePDF and FreePDF XP

FrePdfXP and FreePdf provide increasingly different functionality.
Probably only the former will be actively developed in future. At
least I got this fealing during the last months. I think FreePdfXP
can be PW, while FreePdf could do with a 'honored mentioning' within
the FreePdfXP entry. (For all those still using Win9x or NT4.0).
02 (WARE DESCRIPTION) Freeware
PW| (Donationware) (free)

The author complained he was overwhelmed by pointless support requests
for his rather simple program. Detailed help files (*.pdf) in German
and English are included. To discourage people stealing his time he
says he will ask for a donation of 10 ¤ / 10 $ for any such request.
That surely doesn't make the *program* donationware! (Besides: There
is a free forum for support requests. A place where the Community can
carry some of the burden, Stefan would else need to shoulder himself.)
03 (OS-WIN) Win2000, WinXP, Win2003
04 (OS-NOTES) on Win2003 msvbvm50.dll must exist
05 (OS-OTHER) FreePdf for Win9x (up to WinME), WinNT (up to 4.0) with less functionality
PW| Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP NOTES: Requires GhostScript.

As said above, a notice about the different target systems is due. IMHO.
The *.dll file I mentioned is *not* included in either the OS or the
download of FreePdfXP. It *is* included in the download of FreePdf,
though. But that wouldn't help most people. So it is worth a note
that FreePdfXP *does not* run 'out-of-the-box' on Win2003.
Again: IMHO.
06 (LANGUAGES) German, English and other languages
PW| Languages: English; German; Italian; Netherlands

Hm. And what about French, Hispanic, Polish, Portuguese, Hungarian,
and Chinese? Other translations can easily be done using the included
samples.
07a (NOTES) [...] only German homepage
PW| NOTES: The web pages are in German. English translations are available.
PW| Use the "English" link at the top of the home page to view/navigate the
PW| English version of the web site.

You're happy with *that*?! *Any* German website can be browsed through
Babelfish. And above all: If you don't start on the entry page of the
site (maybe after a Google search) you won't even see the link. I think
the lack of real English pages for a program like this disappointing.
(To say the least...)
09 (LINK 1 DESCRIPTION) Homepage (No deep links for Download permitted!);
[...]
PW| http://shbox.de/fpx732.htm

I didn't provide that link because I wasn't sure if it was (rightfully)
okay to do so. From license:

| Links dürfen auf die Homepage www.shbox.de gelegt werden, aber nicht auf
| einzelne Dateien im Download Bereich!

Dunno, if Stefan regards fpx732.htm as (part of his) homepage (= okay)
or as a single file (= not okay). His start page contains some ads from
his provider, a society to spread Christian (hm, lets call it) awareness
into the Internet. So maybe even your link will be regarded a license
violation. - Because it eludes the ad.

BeAr

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Yup - that includes Daniel's web site. ;) [...]
That classic definition of Betaware seems to be honored as much in the
breach as in the observance. . . Some developers never go out of beta,
some non-beta versions are anything but stable. IMO a team of experts is
needed to decide whether an app is *really* Betaware. . . Are you
volunteering to head up the effort?

I did mark FrHed Beta, myself (Notes and Link description). Although it
is even longer *unchanged*. That's because a clear intention is linked
with the Beta mark. And development and source testing is still going
on for that program. (Few bugs are still found, with months inbetween.
Most[?] in non-active portions of the code.)

Everest Dictionary, OTOH, is a finished program version. Nowhere inside
the distribution packages is a single notice to a Beta status. That would
be necessary because the distribution on other channels is permitted.

I use Everest Dictionary on a somewhat regular basis and have some ideas
of possible improvements. But it is not in a Beta state.
The Betaware label tells me if updates apply to a Pricelessware app. If
an app is labeled Betaware I pay attention to beta updates. If it is not
I ignore them. The Betaware label is *necessary* if the author uses it.
I have no objection to adding a note to the ware description (if it is
warranted) saying that a beta is in fact stable - as I did with Frhed. . .

As you did? ;-) Okay. Do the same with Everest Dictionary if it
pleases you. But I don't think it an okay solution. If the program
becomes PW this year I'll try to contact Daniel. (Maybe this promise
gets the program a push-up for PW. And a PW selection could encourage
Daniel, too... ;-) )

BeAr

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:22:55 -0400, Susan Bugher wrote:

[K-Meleon developer]
I went by the information on this page which lists only Ulf Erikson as a
developer:

http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=14285

Is there a better reference?

About-Box:

| Copyright © 2000-2005 by Contributors to the K-Meleon project
as are:
| Jeff Doozan, Ulf Erikson, Vernon Brooks, Jordan Callicoat, Andrew Mutch,
| Brian Harris, Mark Liffiton, Rob Johnson, Sebastian Spaeth, Christophe
| Thibault, Chak Nanga, Jason J., Romain Vallet

And if you browse the K-Meleon development forum you'll see several
other mentioned:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/list.php?f=2

It *is* a group effort. And should be honored as such! In past there
have been several deferrals between the amount of work these head
people could invest to the project.

It's not a good idea to use the entries in SourceForge development
status pages as a measure of participation in *group projects*.
You'll often find head programmers just communicating among each
other. Without any public contact. Even the outside communication
in a development forum is often done by special 'contact persons'.
I think 'guenter' inside the K-Meleon forums a good example of that.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
Hallo Susan,

I'm not too happy with the result of your editing of the FreePdfXP
entry:

I had difficulty interpreting your intentions (and the German web
pages). You are the one who knows the program. My concern is simply to
present similar information for all programs in a uniform format. Could
you please revise the current description and repost it?

FreePDF and FreePDF XP
Company: -- Author: Stefan Heinz
(Donationware) (free)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP NOTES: Requires GhostScript.
Languages: English; German; Italian; Netherlands
the Windows printing system to create *.pdf files from any application
with printer output. Provides support for the conversation of *.ps files
(Windows Shell extension) and for combining *.pdf files. NOTES: The web
pages are in German. English translations are available. Use the
"English" link at the top of the home page to view/navigate the English
version of the web site.
Home page:
http://freepdfxp.de/
download page: [ v 3.04 (2005-08-11) FreePDFXP3.01.EXE (642 KB) Win
2000/XP] [ v 2.11 (2004-01-11) freepdf210.exe (1004 KB) Win 9x/NT/ME]
http://shbox.de/fpx732.htm
PW| FreePDF and FreePDF XP

FrePdfXP and FreePdf provide increasingly different functionality.
Probably only the former will be actively developed in future. At
least I got this fealing during the last months. I think FreePdfXP
can be PW, while FreePdf could do with a 'honored mentioning' within
the FreePdfXP entry. (For all those still using Win9x or NT4.0).

There are no "honorable mentions" - IOW - it's either "FreePDF and
FreePDF XP" with files shown for both versions or it's "FreePDF XP (was
FreePDF)" with files shown only for the latest version. Take your pick.
PW| (Donationware) (free)

The author complained he was overwhelmed by pointless support requests
for his rather simple program. Detailed help files (*.pdf) in German
and English are included. To discourage people stealing his time he
says he will ask for a donation of 10 ¤ / 10 $ for any such request.
That surely doesn't make the *program* donationware! (Besides: There
is a free forum for support requests. A place where the Community can
carry some of the burden, Stefan would else need to shoulder himself.)

There is a donation link at the top of the downloads page:

http://shbox.de/fpx732.htm

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

I had difficulty interpreting your intentions (and the German web
pages). You are the one who knows the program. My concern is simply to
present similar information for all programs in a uniform format. Could
you please revise the current description and repost it?

Let's start with your other notes, first. They have to be dealt with,
to understand the description.
There are no "honorable mentions" - IOW - it's either "FreePDF and
FreePDF XP" with files shown for both versions or it's "FreePDF XP (was
FreePDF)" with files shown only for the latest version. Take your pick.

It's not always good to call a gray cat either black or white. Both
classifications would be wrong. As you're setting a gun right to my
head I'll call the cat white. But I'll do my best to show later on
that it has a very dark shade of that...
There is a donation link at the top of the downloads page:

So what? The author doesn't ask *anywhere* for a donation for the
*program*. That's even free for commercial use without restrictions.
He only says, he cashes from people too stupid to understand a
'no email support' in presence of help file, homepage with FAQ and
other information, and free forum. There are always some who insist.
(Whatever the conditions.) To give *them* the opportunity to buy
*helpdesk hours*, the donation link is set up. It is *pure* freeware.
Not donationware! EOT. :-(

Okay. And now to the whole thing:

FreePDF / FreePDF XP
Company: -- Author: Stefan Heinz
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT (FreePdf); Win2000/XP/2003 (FreePdf XP)
NOTES: Requires GhostScript; requires msvbvm50.dll on Win2003
Languages: English; German and other (FreePdf XP freely customizable)
the Windows printing system to create *.pdf files from any application
with printer output. Provides support for the conversation of *.ps files
(Windows Shell extension) and for combining *.pdf files. NOTES: The web
pages are in German. English translations via Babelfish. Use the
"English" link at the top of the home page to view/navigate a translated
version of the web site.
Home page:
http://freepdfxp.de
download page: [ v 3.04 (2005-08-11) FreePDFXP3.01.EXE (642 KB) Win
2000/XP/2003] [ v 2.11 (2004-01-11) freepdf211.exe (1004 KB) Win 9x/NT/ME]
http://shbox.de/fpx732.htm

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
So what? The author doesn't ask *anywhere* for a donation for the
*program*. That's even free for commercial use without restrictions.

ALL donationware is free. You're inventing distinctions that don't exist.

almost. . . ;)

If the author has a donation button it's Donationware. The ACF Ware
Glossary definition: "Donationware: monetary contribution requested
(optional)".

There are no shades of grey in that statement and IMO none should be
added by amending it. If you want this app classified as Freeware
propose the *removal* of Donationware from the ware glossary. If the
group supports that motion my life will be easier - one less (expletive
deleted) Ware type to worry about. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

ALL donationware is free. You're inventing distinctions that don't exist.

almost. . . ;)

If the author has a donation button it's Donationware. The ACF Ware
Glossary definition: "Donationware: monetary contribution requested
(optional)".

<Rant>
What part of NO DONATION FOR THE *PROGRAM* ITSELF don't you understand?!!
If I give a program freely away and put a button to donate if someone
would want to see me jumping up and down holding the source code in my
hand on the same website. Why would that make the program donationware??

That's not done to get some money through the back door. But just a
way telling people off, while still leaving a *small* alternative
for those *sincerely* in need.

Some people don't need any money. But regard their time very valuable.
If people start *stealing* that time as many did to Stefan Heinz (and
as you start doing with mine - coming to this), it gets a nuisance. And
if the only possibility to hinder (or reduce) that is charging money,
than 'so what'? (I'll start doing the same soon... :-( I appreciate
the efforts you invest, yourself. But don't overdo some things with
nitpick not appropriate.)

There is *NO* part of the freeware definition demanding a thing like
*free email support*. And a free forum *IS* available. As I told you
before!
There are no shades of grey in that statement and IMO none should be
added by amending it. If you want this app classified as Freeware
propose the *removal* of Donationware from the ware glossary. If the
group supports that motion my life will be easier - one less (expletive
deleted) Ware type to worry about. . . ;)

First: My reference to 'gray' *did not aim onto donationware or not*!

Second: If several versions of a program (supporting different OS
versions) doing the same but start looking like two separate programs,
there is some gray involved. Btw.: FreePdf *can* also be used on Win9x.
It's the other way round which doesn't work. But: Although FreePdfXP
*starts* to get new functionality, the differences aren't *that* huge
at the moment, that I would put both to *separate* votes.
</Rant>

BeAr