Windows XP Perflib_perfdata files in Temp Folder will not delete

Reaction score
In first looking this file up on this forum (Perflib_Perfdata_6d0) I have tried the listed suggestions listed below.

Before I go any further, is this file a problem ? It has been suggested that it is Malware and / or there is a virus attached to it regardless of the last 3 digits in the file name (6d0 or whatever).

1) Cannot access "Properties" in the Performance Monitor; Logs and Alerts, because there are no Properties to access. No Properties tab or subfolder after right clicking on anything and no Properties in any of the drop down menus on that page.

2) Have tried running all virus scan software and Spybot software including Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing shows as a problem while Windows is running normally -OR- in Safe Mode.

3) When Windows is running normally and this file shows in the temp folder it cannot be deleted as it says it is running.

4) When viewing this file under "details" there is no "extension" such as ".exe" or anything. The entire file is as written above PerfLib_Perfdata_6d0. It was suggested to change the extension and delete the file - Sorry, that don't work either.

5) This file does not show up in Safe Mode.

6) One suggestion was that windows uses this file for monitoring activity. So is it a problem file or not ? If you cannot pick it up on any virus or Malware software, and you cannot delete it, what the heck are you SUPPOSED to do ?

DOES THIS FILE NEED TO GO OR NOT AND IF SO WHATS THE SUREFIRE WAY TO GET RID OF IT - OR - IS IT HARMLESS ????????????????

Anxiously waiting on a miracle ???

Thanks in advance :)

Ask a Question