Windows XP Temp Folder Disappears

Reaction score
Using Windows XP under my documents and settings folder is my local settings folder that contains three folders, Application data folder, Apps folder and a temp folder. The temp folder is used for temp files that in most cases have to be removed manually. They do not delete them selves.

My problem is that the folder is no longer visible. The Computer says it is still there because it will not let me make a new folder with the temp name but I no longer have access to it. I cannot find it. HOW DO I MAKE THE FOLDER VISIBLE AGAIN SO I CAN ACCESS IT ONCE AGAIN TO DELETE THESE UNWANTED FILES?

Thanks

LJ

Reaction score
Sorry! Disk clean up does not remove all the temp files from this folder and a large number of programs that use this folder do not remove the temp files as they should.

Reaction score
I have cleaners, I know how to use them, what I am asking for is to make a folder that the computer treats it as though it is there but it is not visible to the eye nor can I select it. The computer will not let me add a new folder with the Same name even though I can not see the folder.

Thanks

LJ

Reaction score
The folder is hidden. It shold not be hidden by default so probably it got an attribute 'hidden'. You can access it by:
1. typing C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\local settings\Temp in the address bar or Start - Run
2. tools - folder options - view - show hidden files and folders and then it should become visible (mistly though)

To remove the attribute 'hidden' right-click on the folder - properties and at the bottom deselect 'Hidden''

Reaction score
To Swift100

Thanks for the info. It will not let me change the hidden attribute ( Its grayed out ) however typing the path will let me access it to make sure the temp files are not building up

Reaction score
try removing the attribute by going to the command prompt (start - run - cmd) and type:

cd C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings>attrib -h temp

Then check if it's still hidden.

Ask a Question