Mint 7 launches

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PEBCAC? :confused:

The Mint start up and close noises work but that is all I've heard so far.

I found this online for installing PREY:

To install: set the downloaded file to be executable and run it. chmod a+rx ./prey-installer-02192009.bin
./prey-installer-02192009.bin

Tried that - didn't work. What does 'set the downloaded file to be executable mean'?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

On the left hand side there open up COMPUTER and you should see a load of folders. You want the media folder in there you should find the cd/dvd drives. You may just see em when you open up COMPUTER. Put any disc in a drive to give you an idea of which drive is which.
Best I can do as I don't have a ubuntu os going at the mo and Mandy is a lot different. That Mint looks a lot different to the EDUBUNTU I used aswell.If you can find the ROOT folder then the cd/dvd drives show up in the Media folder.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• flops.jpg
    flops.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 227

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Abarb but I already done that. I just wondered which drive was 0 and which drive was 1 but as I tried both options I suppose it's not important.

I think this is another Distro I'll dump - I'm running out of options, lol

I did find this online, it would appear there is a conflict between Ubuntu based Distros and AMD64 systems, I don't know if this is relevant or not, don't even know what most of it means:

The 32-bit GTK+ compatibility libraries shipped with Ubuntu 7.10 appear to be missing the svg decoder. This means that decoding some of the stock icons shipped with the system fail when running a 32-bit Gnome binary on an amd64 system.

I have attached a minimal test case to demonstrate this issue. Build the program like this:

gcc -o testgtkicons testgtkicons.c `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags --libs`

If you build and run it on a 64-bit system, it should show a window containing the default icon used with "cancel" buttons in Gnome. Likewise on a 32-bit system. But if you build it on a 32-bit system and then try to run it on a 64-bit system, you'll get this error message to stderr:

(testgtkicons:24211): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-cancel' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...and more importantly: the icon will show up as a "broken document" image since GTK+ couldn't load it.

If you were to copy the following libraries and symlinks from a 32-bit Ubuntu 7.10 install into the proper lib32 directories on the 64-bit system, the problem goes away:

/usr/lib/libcroco-0.6.so.3
/usr/lib/libcroco-0.6.so.3.0.1
/usr/lib/libgsf-1.so.114
/usr/lib/libgsf-1.so.114.0.7
/usr/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
/usr/lib/librsvg-2.so.2.18.2
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so

...so it seems like these files probably just need to be added to the ia32-libs-gtk package, if the solution is really that simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That simple? :confused:

And I think that's quite enough Linux for one day, now to have a tinker with Win 7 :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: I just looked up PEBCAC.

Possibly, possibly, I never did get a degree, just a few GCE 'O' Levels, I never claimed to be Einstein....

You all have NO idea how much I would like this thing to work - a free OS.

But in all these years only one Distro has worked flawlessly for me - Suse about three or four editions ago - that was great. I should have stuck with it.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
PEBCAC? :confused:

The Mint start up and close noises work but that is all I've heard so far.
A-HA! Sound card worky. Double click on the volume icon. A mixer window opens. Fiddle, tweak, whatever with the [PCM and main] sliders.

You all have NO idea how much I would like this thing to work - a free OS.
It will work, no worries... just needs a tablespoon or two of TLC first.

:p

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
VLC Media Player and Amarok now installed and playing all musical files and DVD movies :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And on that note I think I will call it a day for now with Mint.

Best to close down with a positive vibe :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The 32-bit GTK+ compatibility libraries shipped with Ubuntu 7.10 appear to be missing the svg decoder. This means that decoding some of the stock icons shipped with the system fail when running a 32-bit Gnome binary on an amd64 system.

I have attached a minimal test case to demonstrate this issue. Build the program like this:

gcc -o testgtkicons testgtkicons.c `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags --libs`

If you build and run it on a 64-bit system, it should show a window containing the default icon used with "cancel" buttons in Gnome. Likewise on a 32-bit system. But if you build it on a 32-bit system and then try to run it on a 64-bit system, you'll get this error message to stderr:

(testgtkicons:24211): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-cancel' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...and more importantly: the icon will show up as a "broken document" image since GTK+ couldn't load it.

If you were to copy the following libraries and symlinks from a 32-bit Ubuntu 7.10 install into the proper lib32 directories on the 64-bit system, the problem goes away:

/usr/lib/libcroco-0.6.so.3
/usr/lib/libcroco-0.6.so.3.0.1
/usr/lib/libgsf-1.so.114
/usr/lib/libgsf-1.so.114.0.7
/usr/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
/usr/lib/librsvg-2.so.2.18.2
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so

...so it seems like these files probably just need to be added to the ia32-libs-gtk package, if the solution is really that simple.
Erm... what has that got to do with your system? You're running a 32-bit OS, right? Whether your herdware [puter] is "32" or "64" is irrelevant here. The ia32-libs-gtk metapackage fixes things - "third-party 32-bit programs can use the GTK widgets on 64-bit systems" - with 64-bit OS.

When I put the DVD in a window popped up asking me words to the effect of 'Would I like to auto run it'...

And you did the right thing by telling it not to. But didn't it open a file manger window as well? You can see the path there:

Dunno how Mint's defaults are... probably for dummies:

84637299.png

See the... ahem... nifty (NOT!) buttons "urmas" and "Musiikki"?

Click on the "toggle" button (first from left on that row), and:

69963013.png

There you have it: the path in "understandable form": /home/urmas/Musiikki

tony@Andromeda ~ $ sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh

Just to keep it simple, I would "cd" to the right directory first:

Code:
tony@Andromeda: ~ $ cd /media/cdrom0
tony@Andromeda:/media/cdrom0$

THEN:

Code:
tony@Andromeda:/media/cdrom0$ sudo sh ./linux-installer.sh

Oh, and LINUX IS CASE SENSITIVE: linux-installer.sh and Linux-installer.sh are two different things.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Installing PREY:

64-bit PREY

IMPORTANT: This HOWTO is for 64-bit OS. Since you are using a 32-bit OS, ignore the "Before Installation bit".

ALSO: Re: Launcher - no need to go to terminal and give the "alacarte" command; just right click on the menu button and select 'edit menus'.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Erm... what has that got to do with your system?

Dunno. I'm probably a dummy :) This is why I asked. I shall be careful asking things in future.

Urmas said:
And you did the right thing by telling it not to. But didn't it open a file manger window as well?

Yes it did. I closed it.

Thanks for the PREY info. The more I read about PREY I'm getting the impression that the Linux version of PREY is a seperate download with the Windows DVD only needed for activation, but I can't be sure.

And I know commands are case sensitive, I'm not that much of a dummy ;)

Well I don't think so anyway :D

Thanks for all your advice, I'll try and install PREY again later today.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Dunno. I'm probably a dummy :) This is why I asked. I shall be careful asking things in future.
Heck, no! The worst thing you could do.

Look... being a dummy is an essential part of learning a new OS. Can't be avoided. Trust me... I'm still wearing the t-shirt. Nothing I wrote was intended to be mean, OK?

happywave.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The more I read about PREY I'm getting the impression that the Linux version of PREY is a seperate download with the Windows DVD only needed for activation, but I can't be sure.
Well, the size of prey-installer-02192009.bin is 43.3 Mb, so it's got the essential stuff in a form that Linux understands. Everything else gets "hoovered" from DVD:

You will need the PC version: either the 3 CD set, the single DVD Collector's Edition, or a normal installed copy of the game, such as you'd download via Steam. You will need a valid and unique CD key in any case. The Mac version's install disc has not been tested, and the XBox 360 version will not work.
http://icculus.org/prey/

As Abarbiturate mentions, the [only] way to run "native" Windows programs in Linux is to use emulators such as WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). No 3-D there. Me no gamer, me not know if PREY need three dee, though. (But i consider WINE et alia to be last-resort solutions...)

:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You might be interested in this flops as I belive you have a iPod.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7150747782.html

[font=Arial,Helvetica]"It also supports iPod synchronization. I was able to bring tunes in from my iPod and to put new songs on the iPod. I could also place my music on a network drive and then use iTunes to play them when I'm on my Mac or use Banshee to listen to them when I'm on one of my Linux systems."[/font]

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have been lax lately.

I have had PREY running flawlessly in PC Linux OS 2007 but can't remember how I done it.

I use Winamp exclusively now for both my i-Pods, no more i-Tunes.

I have a 30Gb video for personal use and an 80Gb video for Disco use, btw, that's why 2.

Gotta lot on me plate lately though, rebuilding the disco decks and some work actually came in :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I have been lax lately.

I have had PREY running flawlessly in PC Linux OS 2007 but can't remember how I done it.

I use Winamp exclusively now for both my i-Pods, no more i-Tunes.

I have a 30Gb video for personal use and an 80Gb video for Disco use, btw, that's why 2.

Gotta lot on me plate lately though, rebuilding the disco decks and some work actually came in :eek:

Good that Prey works so that helps to dispell the myth that linux is no good at all for linux.
nod.gif

Work !!!! ugh that sounds ugly but necessary
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question