Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 beta releast 2 days ago

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you are upgrading from 17 to 18 bootneck02 a read here might be beneficial.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9

A clean upgrade is best, so avoid the upgrade option
2. The best way to go from the older Mint 17 series to the newer Mint 18 series, is to apply a clean upgrade. Which means: format the hard disk partition on which the older version resides, and install the later version cleanly on that empty partition.

This reduces pollution, diminishes the risk of complications and is undoubtedly the fastest way to do it.

Only upgrading within a particular Mint series is safe and easy. Within a series, you can simply upgrade the older version to the later one by selecting the upgrade option in Update Manager...

The reason for this distinction is, that Linux Mint uses only LTS versions of Ubuntu as codebase. Within a Mint series that's always the same Ubuntu version, so the upgrade to a later Mint within the same series is technically no big deal. Most of the codebase remains the same then.

The Linux Mint 17 series contains 17, 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3. They all have the same base, namely Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Which makes upgrading within that series swift and safe.

But the Mint 18 series (which starts with Mint 18 Sarah) is based on an entirely new Ubuntu, namely Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This is a major leap, which increases the upgrade risks considerably.

The clever money nearly always advises a clean install of a new LTS version so the author is giving good advice in the main. Not so sure of his advice on not needing a /home partition though. Hope you find the new version as good as the one you are using now.

:cool:

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian I am running Cinnamon 18 LTS at the moment the 18.1 is a structured update of 18 LTS there will be just one more update of the 18 LTS which will be in another couple of years 18.3. I will probably be using Cinnamon 18 well passed 2021 when Mint Cinnamon will have a new Cinnamon distro 19.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian I am running Cinnamon 18 LTS at the moment the 18.1 is a structured update of 18 LTS there will be just one more update of the 18 LTS which will be in another couple of years 18.3. I will probably be using Cinnamon 18 well passed 2021 when Mint Cinnamon will have a new Cinnamon distro 19.

Ha forgot you had upgraded earlier in the year. Must have been a really smooth experience. That is the trouble with modern linux distros, too reliable and oh so boring as a result. :lol:

Reaction score
Ahh but you are writing as a expert with Linux Distro's I am viewing as a convert from Microsoft and just trying to learn(very slowly). I did look at the two links you provided about Arch Linux KDE Plasma 5.3.0 and KDE Plasma 5. Looking at both I think they both knock the socks off MS offerings visually but at the moment two advanced for me at the moment as I am still feeling my way.. I have a couple of spare drives and might put them on those and have a play. I must admit they have a fantastic visual effect against Mint and W10 but I am not sure I am up to using them yet.
The upgrade was easy and am looking forward to 18.1 especially as I have not yet downloaded all my music so when the upgrade comes sometime this month I will spend hours and hours downloading all my music as I enjoy listening to it whilst working on the old PC

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Must have been a really smooth experience.

I'd rather bork an Arch that upgrade a *buntu, hunh?

:p

s-l300.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hey easy up there guys. I was being nice . Boot's never posted about any problems with the upgrade so I was commenting about how smooth it must have been. A few years ago an upgrade would have had at least one or two glitches.

Not sure what yer on about Boot's with the Arch KDE. Wouldn't point you towards Arch as you do need to play with the command line a lot and I doubt you would enjoy that.

As to borking Arch or upgrading a buntu I'd bork every time :p:lol:Personaly I wouldn't sully me pc with a buntu unless it was a last ditch life or death matter an even then I'd have to think about it :eek:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I'd bork every time :p:lol: ...

That was kinda my point. And it's a great way of learning things — even though it might hurt a bit occasionally.

Kubuntu and Xubuntu are community-maintained Ubuntu derivatives, by the way... :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That was kinda my point. And it's a great way of learning things — even though it might hurt a bit occasionally.

Ah ha rightyo. I missed yer original point. Learning through borking is fun, as long as you have learnt how to back up :lol:

Where did the Kubuntu and Xubuntu stuff come from. I never even mentioned em. An I know they are buntu deriv's along with tons of otheres. :confused:

Reaction score
Hay guy's steady on I realise that I am a beginner and had a look Arch and KDE but also loved esthetic's of both BUT also realised that Mint although a little boring and I know Nothing about Command line (but got the book) am not if ever going to move from Mint as this old git is able to contact people I know go on the Net and use generally enjoy this distro. My reasons for leaving Microsoft was I did not like W10 distrusted Microsoft with their data mining (no guarantee) that information would not be sold on, also all the advertising and links that were included in the operating system. With Mint I get very little or none as I have got uBlock Origin which catches most if not all the Adverts. I would also hate you both to fall out on my behalf as I see you both as Internet friends.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hay guy's steady on I realise that I am a beginner

We are all beginners bud.

Me an Urmas ain't falling out , just poking fun at each other. Truth be told I really feel for you guys having to use buntu and Gnome based os's. Only good thing about em I suppose is that they are a step up from Windows :lol:

Reaction score
Yes we have to begin somewhere, as long as it is away from Microsoft the evil witch of the West:bow::bow::bow::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ask a Question