Mint 7 launches

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I know some of you looked at Linux Mint so here is some information on the latest release.

http://www.h-online.com/open/Linux-Mint-7-released--/news/113384

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for that o Barbaric one :)

I shall be giving that a go I think.

I never did get round to trying the full version six.

And I note they're using Gnome.

I used to always prefer KDE but I think Gnome may be stealing the show just lately.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
All above me , but must say when i saw the thread title , me being a bit of a space head and all that , thought Cadburys had launched a chocoloate space rocket :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And I note they're using Gnome.

I used to always prefer KDE but I think Gnome may be stealing the show just lately.
I'm a diehard Gnomie... but I've got to say that the new KDE 4 is pretty promising...

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
By 6.30pm I had downloaded this, checked md5sum, burnt ISO to CD and had it installed to it's own 160Gb HDD.

It is now 9.46pm and in my rather inexperienced and somewhat humble opinion I have to say I think this distro is a bit crap.

For three hours I've been trying to setup my wireless net connection, it looked promising once or twice but no go.

I have reset and reprogrammed my ADSL router/modem, faithfully copied all the addresses and settings and entered them in the Mint 7 setup - it just won't work.

And it changes my entered network password from a ten letter one to one that's about 25 letters long, I think this distro is flawed.

And on top of that it didn't even recognise a humble Audigy 2 soundcard so I have no sound.

When Mint released this distro I feel it was a little premature.

As I recall the CD version of Mint 6 worked perfectly for me straight out of the box. So what's up with Mint 7?

Of course it could just be me being inexperienced but I don't think so in this instance.

One to avoid.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Flops.

An all you earthy colured garden dweller lovers, ya boo and shucks, KDE is the biz, that is if you have what it takes to handle it.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW I've just reformatted the disk and installed the final DVD version of Mint 6 (KDE) which I hadn't tried before.

The sound worked ok with V6 but I still couldn't get online, neither distro seems to like my Linksys wireless NIC card.

Which means they have something in common with Win 7 ;)

And I've just remembered, I think it was PC_Linux_OS that worked straight out of the box with this system, not Mint.

What with some Linux distros and Win 7 not liking Linksys wireless cards it would seem it's time for me to consider another wireless card. Perhaps.

I must confess I don't like wireless systems, have always felt more comfortable with hard wired, but my current home setup makes that option not viable.

Maybe I will make up up a custom length CAT 5 network cable for initial setup, let Mint 7 upgrade through wired connection (hopefully) then take it from there.

I may well try that.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's a Linksys WMP54G EU/LA V4.1.

Both Mint Distros I tried were the 32 bit versions as Mint reckoned them to be more stable than the 64 bit versions.

When I put the caddy back in with Win XP on, btw, I had to reload the drivers for the wireless card, it wasn't recognised, which is odd cos it was before I tried the two distros.

Brief spec:

Asus M2N-sli deluxe board
AMD 6400+ dual core 3.2Ghz black edition
2Gb Corsair C5 8500 1066Mhz (2 x 1Gb)
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
This would be a simple enough solution... dunno whether it works for you, though...

The problem was solved after installing the WICD network manager from the repository. Apparently the Gnome network manager package does not recognize the RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g chipset. Oh, and installing WICD removes the Gnome network manager package. But that is okay.

http://www.serpia.org/blog/2009/may/11/rt2561rt61-ubuntu-904/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry lads, I been down the pub all evening - a glorious night by the riverfront - but I will return to this.

Thank you for the replies.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/06/mint7/

Another review of Mint Gloria. This was an interesting tit bit included in the article.

"Another tool I’ve neglected to mention so far is MintUpload. You’re given 2gb of free storage space “in the cloud” as the marketing men like to say. That basically means on a web server where you can get at it from anywhere to you and me. Nevertheless this is quite useful and the ability to just right-click a file or folder and send it to the web is very cool. Little features like this are what gives Mint it’s polish."

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
2Gb of free space is good, can you construct a web site on it? Or even just link to stuff on it?

I haven't tried installing the WICD network manager yet I'm afraid, I tend to lose enthusiasm quite quickly when things don't work, which is probably why I don't have the patience for Linux.

This is on topic, so bear with me. Win 7 won't recognise my Linksys wireless NIC and I read that Win 7 has a very good built in driver for the D-Link DWA522 wireless NIC so I thought I'd order one of those, hoping it may work in Linux Mint as well.

But after searching a great deal it seems the D-Link DWA522 is not available in the UK jst yet :mad:

So I've just ordered a D-Link AirPlus-G DWL-G510 Wireless NIC from E-buyer which costs £16.50 + postage and hoping I'll have some luck with that. I'm not too optimistic for Win 7 but more so for Linux Mint.

And whilst we're on the subject, I ordered a total of £67.00 worth of parts from E-Buyer. A forum member here mentioned that on orders over £50.00 with E-Buyer, postage is free. Not so, E-Buyer charged me a tenner for next day delivery making the order a total of £77.00.(Edit - I've just realised that postage may be free on orders over £50.00 if you go for the 'Up to five days' option. That's no good to me, I need to know which day the goods will be arriving.

If it wasn't for the fact E-Buyer were the only known stockists I know of for one of the parts I ordered I'd have ordered from Scan, where I get free postage.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just read the review - nice link :)

No mention of wireless connection problems though :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I thought 2 GB of free web space with a free os was a pretty darn good offer too.

Yup the E-Buyer free postage is for the 3 to 5 day delivery.

Sorry to hear the wireless trauma. If it is any consolation the second hand wireless card I bought from here works well with all the os's I tried it with.
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Teasing apart mate , looks like that new card you got should work with Gloria as it works with the older Mint versions.

http://www.dabs.com/products/D-Link-802-11g-Wireless-LAN-PCI-Card-43C0.html

"Another Linux success

Reviewed by Bill. Review Posted 05/11/2008

Bought on the back of a review on this site. I can confirm the same experience as the other reviewer; this works out of the box with Linux Mint 5. No set up - just enter your passkey and your away. I've previously spent ages trying to get USB devices to work with limited success. With this card I was connected within a minute. Connection very reliable and speed is same for me as by Ethernet."

happywave.gif

Ask a Question