Mint a contender for the crown ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Could Linux Mint Replace Ubuntu?

One of the neatest features about using Linux for everyday computing are the endless choices that are available.

For years, Ubuntu was considered the "top distro" for most people. Recently however, I've seen indications that this is no longer the case. Arch Linux is gaining new users faster than ever. And for those who want a more "predefined experience," Linux Mint is catering to an ever-growing audience as well. Mint's not really my distro of choice. However, pretending that it's not a real contender when compared to other distros is nonsense. Linux Mint has become a big time player.

Arches eyebrow at the thought. :lol:

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/could-linux-mint-replace-ubuntu-1.html

Reaction score
Here is Distro Watch link for the top hit on distro's http://distrowatch.com/kdemar If you cannot be bothered Mint is No 1 and at no 2 is Debian followed by Ubuntu at No 3. I am not sure how this information is collected and also how other information about is collected about Distro's in general but from Mints own site there 1368 users in the UK, not many in the scheme of things when you think of Microsoft and MAC with millions of users.

Dropped arches I suspect :eek::fool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Here is Distro Watch link for the top hit on distro's http://distrowatch.com/kdemar If you cannot be bothered Mint is No 1 and at no 2 is Debian followed by Ubuntu at No 3. I am not sure how this information is collected and also how other information about is collected about Distro's in general but from Mints own site there 1368 users in the UK, not many in the scheme of things when you think of Microsoft and MAC with millions of users.

Dropped arches I suspect :eek::fool:

Distro Watch just counts the visitors to each distros page to get their figures. Not a really accurate method but penguin counting is difficult.
Most folk run several os's and try ones out randomly. Then there are the gamers or business folk who keep Windows alive. An a lot of devs use Apples. An geeks are pretty secretive aswell.
Who cares anyway. There are probably ten times more devices out there in the wild running some form of linux than run Windows. That is including all the pc's an phones and industrial stuff etc etc .
:cool:
An there are definitely more linux pc's in space since NASA dumped Microsoft and gave lurvee to Debian. :lol:

Reaction score
Reading the Linux site news it would appear that more and more private individuals are ether dual booting with W10 OR wiping their discs and downloading Linux Distro's the ones that seem to be favourites are Mint 17.2/3 and Zorin. I tried Zorin but preferred Mint 17.3 which is a LTS to 2019 unfortunately Zorin it is a annual upgrade I do not wish to upgrade every year so haven’t run it and prefer Linus Mint as it is a LTS and seems rock solid.

Ask a Question