Mint 7 launches

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Just so long as certain bits can keep looking uphill :p

Oh that's not a problem, lol, it's just that other bits start looking like they belong in an antique shop and a person starts to notice various areas are aching/malfunctioning occasionally :D

And cheeky little buggers start calling you Grandad :lol:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oh that's not a problem, lol, it's just that other bits start looking like they belong in an antique shop and a person starts to notice various areas are aching/malfunctioning occasionally :D

Your words never fail to have me in stitches.....
laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

C'est la vie:

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ooooooeeeee me no like The Weavers :(

This more my style of reunion, it much more me :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This afternoon I hard-wired my bedroom machine (with Mint 7 on it) to my ADSL/Modem-Router.

I had to cut some grooves in the wooden floor cross members between two doors and I have yet to deal with the cable bump being visible beneath the carpet in one place (will probably chase a small channel in the concrete floor) but I crimped on me RJ45 plugs n covers and it's working dandy.

I uninstalled software then took out the D-Link wireless card then activated on-board LAN and loaded drivers for Win XP - instant connection and now no lag in CoD 1 & CoD 2, which I was getting with the D-Link card.

Then I put the Linux Mint 7 hard disk in and it worked straight away. It just worked. Incredible :thumb: I'm using Firefox with it right now.

I'm not going to load the video card drivers now or attempt to load some games, I will leave that til another time as I've been up since six, have had a coupla pints and am feeling just a little weary.

What I am going to do is format the hard disk with Win 7 on and do a fresh install of it as the registration period has run out.

As some of you may recall I couldn't get online with 2 different wireless cards with the Win 7 trial version, let's see how I get on hard wired.

If this don't work Win 7 can go take a running jump :D

One last thing, Linux Mint 7 is now available in 64 Bit as well as the 32 bit I'm using :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If this don't work Win 7 can go take a running jump :D
Sounds tempting. However, even Windows should be able to get online with an Ethernet card by itself.

laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Goody. Now... Nvidia:

58274062.png

Item next.... "attempt to load some games"... this is where I start to worry; we don't want to end up here...

It's all easy until it comes to loading: applications, drivers and patches, then it can become a nightmare...
... do we? :p

What games? From repos or getdeb, I hope. If not - in order to avoid hassles - please tell me more.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Same as last time, really.

There are a few games that run in Linux, I have UT2004 and PREY that work, I've had those running in other Distros.

I'll have to search but I believe the last versions of DOOM and Quake (3 & 4 respectively I think) also run in Linux. I've owned both those games before, and an expansion for one of them, but no longer have them. But they're both available very cheaply now.

Where I had problems was trying to patch UT2004 and add maps.

I will really mess it up trying to do that eh? ;)

But we do want to try and convince all those doubters Linux is a viable platform don't we? ;)

So watch in wonder folks as Mr Linux Numbnuts totally wrecks his kernel :lol:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Where I had problems was trying to patch UT2004 and add maps.

I will really mess it up trying to do that eh? ;)

But we do want to try and convince all those doubters Linux is a viable platform don't we? ;)

So watch in wonder folks as Mr Linux Numbnuts totally wrecks his kernel :lol:

UT2004 INFO: http://gwos.org/doku.php/guides:64bit:ut2004

Thing is, when Mr. Linux Numbnuts goes beyond "kiddie glove zone" aka installing/using programs available in repositories, it is advisable to Google a bit for step-by-step howtos as per above. No kernel blasts that way. Kind of boring, some would say...

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have loaded the Nvidia drivers.

I don't have UT2004 with me at the moment it's stored elsewhere as I bought a DVD that had 4 Unreal games on it including UT2004 so I stored the original. Unfortunately the new version doesn't have the Linux installer on it so I'll have to wait til I visit my lockup again to get the original UT2004.

From your link, Urmas, I opened a console and typed in

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and hit enter, whereupon a whole load of text flew past including one line which told me /usr was broken which worried me.

then: sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

And that didn't take long at all.

So having installed the Nvidia drivers and loaded the above, I thought I'd install the game PREY.

When I put the DVD in a window popped up asking me words to the effect of 'Would I like to auto run it' but I closed that as advised in the above link for UT2004 and typed:

sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh

and hit enter.

Here's an excerpt from the console which is probably self-explanatory:

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
tony@Andromeda ~ $ sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libstdc++5 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
localechooser-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
tony@Andromeda ~ $ sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh
sh: Can't open /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh
tony@Andromeda ~ $ sudo sh /media/cdrom1/linux-installer.sh
sh: Can't open /media/cdrom1/linux-installer.sh

Which led me to wonder if the drive it's in is cdrom0

How do I find which drive letters Linux has assigned to drives as I have five hard drives and two optical drives in this machine, I couldn't seem to find them.

I looked at the PREY DVD and couldn't see a Linux installer on it yet I've run this game before in PC Linux OS 2007.

I think I'll try auto-run and see what happens but all advice apreciated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Coupla diversions.

Are there any software programs installed that record audio from Aux in and if not are there any in the repository that anybody knows of?

And Mint/Ubuntu won't play WAV files:

attachment.php

Attachments

• nowav.jpg
    nowav.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 188

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Which led me to wonder if the drive it's in is cdrom0

How do I find which drive letters Linux has assigned to drives as I have five hard drives and two optical drives in this machine, I couldn't seem to find them..
When you pop in a CD/DVD, it ought to "trigger" a file manager window showing its contents.

Anyway... since you have two optical drives, the path is either /media/cdrom0 or /media/cdrom1 .

:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

So it won't install then.

I've also just found out I can't play any musical files at all, inc mp3's and nor will it play DVD movies.

I thought Mint came with all the media applications and codecs pre-installed.

Not so, it would seem, or something is wrong with it.

As usual, nothing ever bloody works with Linux :lol:

Ask a Question