bob

If I attempt to open the control panel, printer settings
or network and dial up settings via the settings options
on the start button I receive message "explorer.exe has
generated errors and will be closed by Windows." This
also occurs if I attempt to open "my computer" or "my
network places" on the desktop. I can open all of these
applications by right clicking the start button and
choosing explore. Any suggestions on fixing this problem?

D

dcdon

Hi Bob,

I may be over reacting, but do you have an AVP up to date?
Run this online virus scan.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
Look in the center of the page under virus definitions. At the popup choose the virus scan
( you can run the security scan later).

Print out the results and go to Google and search for the infection or files it comes up
with.
Start at the first line and do every thing it says in the order it says or it will come
back.

--
Happy Holidays,
don
---

If I attempt to open the control panel, printer settings
or network and dial up settings via the settings options
on the start button I receive message "explorer.exe has
generated errors and will be closed by Windows." This
also occurs if I attempt to open "my computer" or "my
network places" on the desktop. I can open all of these
applications by right clicking the start button and
choosing explore. Any suggestions on fixing this problem?

G

thanks for the reply. i have norton anivirus and my latest definition update was 12/10/03. i went symantecs site as you suggested anyway to see if anything different might happen. curiously the symantec site would not let me run the virus scan, supposedly because i did not have ie version 5 or newer. this was curious since i have ie version 6. thinking there might be a problem with the version 6 i downloaded previously i re-downloaded ie v6 from microsoft. i crossed my fingers and hopedthis might solve my problem. unfortunately my problem still exists. thanks again for your reply if you have any other ideas feel to let me know.

sincerely, bob

D

dcdon

I actually have had a similar problem in the past with i.e., and just uninstalled until it
wouldn't let me any more. Then I upgraded to the latest, which at the time was 5.5, and it
actually perked the machine up. You might give it a try, with an ERD (with system state),
and a full back up saved off the HDD or I actually store one on the %root% (C:\) (easiest
time considered with NT commands). Symantec bores and buries shtuff in every crack of an
OS, and recently they have definite conflicts with OS and some apps, and firewalls. With the
ERD and backup, you can try a few things, like uninstalls of Norton, the firewall, even
AdAware, S&D. I don't believe it will hurt anything at all. Just right it down and do the
reinstalls after I.E. and you get a squawk, install I.E. again over the top.

You also can go for the OS repair install. I mean the last one, where you are asked to enter
your Key again. If you haven't done it the first opportunity to do a repair is not the one.
Just keep going like you are going to install over the top, and the last time to choose will
give you the repair option. Sorry for the rambling.

--
regards,
don
---

thanks for the reply. i have norton anivirus and my latest definition update was 12/10/03.
i went symantecs site as you suggested anyway to see if anything different might happen.
curiously the symantec site would not let me run the virus scan, supposedly because i did
not have ie version 5 or newer. this was curious since i have ie version 6. thinking there
might be a problem with the version 6 i downloaded previously i re-downloaded ie v6 from
microsoft. i crossed my fingers and hopedthis might solve my problem. unfortunately my
problem still exists. thanks again for your reply if you have any other ideas feel to let
me know.

sincerely, bob

Ask a Question