ads.x10.com

Doug Fox

Whenever I load my browser, it brings up an ad by ads.x10.com. Used Adaware
and Spybot to clean, but to no avail. Searched the registry, failed to find
out the entry.

How can I remove this? Any pointers are appreciated.

Hans Le Roy

Hi,

Did you update AdAware and Spybot?

You could ald a line than says

127.0.0.1 ads.x10.com

to your HOSTS file. Locate the file, open it in Notepad, edit and save.
Retsrat Windows.

Kind regards

Hans Le Roy
MS MVP Win/IE-OE

Doug Fox

Don;

It is my practice not to accept anything from Internet unless this company
has used some tricks.

Best regards,

DVarnau said:
Doug,
You can stop them for 30 days at a time with an opt-out cookie from
http://www.x10.com/x10ads.htm

But... X-10 was the FIRST entry in my HOSTS file.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Regards,
Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

Doug Fox said:
Whenever I load my browser, it brings up an ad by ads.x10.com. Used Adaware
and Spybot to clean, but to no avail. Searched the registry, failed to find
out the entry.

How can I remove this? Any pointers are appreciated.

DVarnau

I agree that a HOSTS file is the best solution. I used the opt-out cookie on
a computer where I couldn't setup a HOSTS file and the cookie worked as
advertised.

I don't recall that X-10 actually installed a program of any kind, but you
might go to http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm and scroll down to
"Troubleshooting" since ad-aware and spybot didn't stop this. You might find
files you need to delete.

Don
- - - - - -

Doug Fox said:
Whenever I load my browser, it brings up an ad by ads.x10.com. Used Adaware
and Spybot to clean, but to no avail. Searched the registry, failed
find
out the entry.

How can I remove this? Any pointers are appreciated.

Doug Fox

For lack of better words, adding the entry in the hosts file seems to be
"defensive", can I be more pro-active by removing related instances which
bring out the browser pointing to ads.x10.com?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug Fox said:
Whenever I load my browser, it brings up an ad by ads.x10.com. Used Adaware
and Spybot to clean, but to no avail. Searched the registry, failed to find
out the entry.

How can I remove this? Any pointers are appreciated.

DVarnau

Doug,
Did you try the troubleshooting tips at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm ?

Other possibilities:
Run BHODemon 1.0: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
Check properties of all objects in [C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files] (or
C:\WINNT)
Remove suspicious objects.
Check the Startup tab in MSCONFIG for suspicious entries.

Don