Zone Alarm VS Mcafee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Would not give you tuppence for either of them, especially McrapAfee.

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
doctorcult said:
Which one is the best? Please comment!

I have learned, over the months that I have been a member of this Forum, that, surprisingly, it is very difficult to give a specific answer to a question like yours. The other regular members of this Forum have been superb at enlightening me, a relative novice with computers, about various matters.

One thing that has hopefully embedded itself in my brain (you are finally getting there, Mucks) is that there is no "best" solution, just different solutions. In some situations some things work better than others but only you know what your situations are. The final decision as to what to use must always be yours because if it's not you will blame someone else if a problem develops.

Look in the Search section and type in "Essential PC Software".and then look for a thread dated Oct 2006. This has an admittedly long list of options for various security measures but is very useful at helping you to decide what to adopt. I have used that very list to configure my own security system, which seems to be effective.

I'm sorry if this seems like a cop-out but if you ask twenty people what is the best (as I did) you may well get twenty different answers. Sometimes you may need to try out various solutions and then decide what suits you, again, as I did.

All the best in your search.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Use a router along with the built in firewall (assuming you're using windows) and don't worry about either of them. :)

Reaction score
i appreciate for your answers :)

Spezi said:
Use a router along with the built in firewall (assuming you're using windows) and don't worry about either of them. :)

i do use ADSL router for my dsl connection? can i use it? or i have to buy a seperate one? (wireless etc)?? and yes, i am winXP sp2 user..

any help would be appreciated!

regards.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've used both and didn't get on with them, Now i use AntiVir and Kerio along with my router. :)

Reaction score
But the thing I want to know is, is my ADSL useful for this? :) or I have to buy another? and how can i configure it to work as a firewall??

any help/comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

regards.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
doctorcult said:
But the thing I want to know is, is my ADSL useful for this? :) or I have to buy another? and how can i configure it to work as a firewall??

any help/comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

regards.

Your router doesn't care if you are on ADSL or Cable modem and the router itself is the firewall in that your computer(s) is hidden behind it.

Similar to V-R I simply use my Linksys router along with AntiVir PE and I run AdAware every once in a while along with the most important part which is smart user practices such as not opening emails from people you don't know and if you must open something then by all means make sure it is scanned first by your anti virus software.

I do keep my onboard XP built in firewall turned on.

Ask a Question