Zone Alarm

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Right, all you experts. What is the concensus on Zone Alarm?

I use it and I think it is OK but I'm sure that there are people out there who have different opinions and some who don't rate it at all.

What do you think is the best, free system available?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What do you think is the best, free system available?
Unplug from the mains socket. :thumb:

You want real-world stats, or unbiased opinions. :D

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You want real-world stats, or unbiased opinions. :D

user.gif

Both please.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I used to use Zone Alarm for years, and I always liked it - personally I prefer Kerio Personal Firewall as the free option simply because it has a few more options in the free version (if it is still around).

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security (about a tenner for AV + Firewall) and I'm very pleased with that so far, so I'm not up to date on the latest version of ZA. I'm sure the free version will do all you want of it though, as it is one of the leaders :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK ... we'll start with one of the err, market leaders, ZoneAlarm.

The 'free' version is crap ... it does beat MS's own firewall ... it comes in 8th place from the bottom of the pack at #24... anybody who solely relies on ZA free don't get any sympathy from me. You certainly get what you pay for.

However, I will add, ZA Pro7 is a very good firewall and deserves its #3 spot. ;)

I'll cut to the chase here ...

Comodo is ranked the best firewall of 'em all ... but you will have to do a little tweaking and it can still be a little bugger at times blocking innocent website completely. Oh, and surprisingly, it's still free for personal use. :thumb:

Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.0.28 beta gets the #2 spot ... no need to tweak this one ... the free version, Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61 Freeware, is a damn good alternative if you like Jetico and need free and comes in at #7.

So, there you have the top three firewalls as recently tested as last month.

However, solely relying on a firewall with no antivirus or anti-malware-anti-Trojan-anti-spyware anti-nastie kitchen sink and all ... is just asking for trouble.

We who use Kaspersky Internet Security do so because we have, amongst all its other attributes, the #5 most rated firewall ... it is all its other built-in products that sway it for us.

KIS is an all-in-one PC security software, that is second to none. :cool:

Who is to say what will be number one next month ... I ain't to bothered, I like what I have 'cos it does the job I want it to. :D

There are not many "security" software I haven't tried out for myself I have used all the above at one time or another, and then some. ;)

user.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I used to use Zone Alarm for years, and I always liked it - personally I prefer Kerio Personal Firewall as the free option simply because it has a few more options in the free version.
Ditto, Kerio's great. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Comodo

muckshifter said:
Comodo is ranked the best firewall of 'em all ... but you will have to do a little tweaking and it can still be a little bugger at times blocking innocent website completely. Oh, and surprisingly, it's still free for personal use. :thumb:

user.gif

I've looked at the Comodo website and I note that they also do antiMalware and antiVirus packages as well as the firewall. Would you suggest using the firewall on its own with other AV and antiMalware or is it worth using all the Comodo packages together?

muckshifter

Reaction score
nivrip said:
I've looked at the Comodo website and I note that they also do antiMalware and antiVirus packages as well as the firewall. Would you suggest using the firewall on its own with other AV and antiMalware or is it worth using all the Comodo packages together?
That 'debate' has been raging since time began. :D

Security is "big business" and there are quite a few reputable companies continually on the top shelf.

It now seems the fashion to supply all-in-one solutions ... this, in the past, meant bolt-ons to existing successful packages ... However, Norton & McAfee are a prime example of things getting way out of hand and in the end they just bog down your system with poor protection.

There are a few that have the "bundle" just about right, and are improving even as we speak ... Kaspersky Labs are my "choice" in the bunch, it does what it says on the tin ... and very good it is too. BUT, it ain't free. ;)

There are good free alternatives ... but you must be aware of one major drawback with free offerings ... there is no such thing as a free lunch.

What I mean by that is ... Why give you a "full bundle" when ALL companies want is your money ... they don't. You will not get all the bells-n-whistles of the full blown paid for package ... :p

There are exceptions to the rule, Comodo firewall free is one of them, they still have a paid for version that can do more ;) ... however, their anti-nastie software is still in development ... when I start to see it passing bonofida tests, then I'll take another look.

I goes without saying, you need, on a Windows PC, the following software ...

Firewall
Antivirus
Anti-nastie-website-blocker
Anti-malware
Anti-Trojan
Anti-Spyware
Anti-Margret & uncle Tom Cobley
and the kitchen sink

Take your pick, if you want free, they seem as good as the rest, but not a day goes buy that I find myself 'helping' someone who has manage to get infected. Nohing will give 100% protection, not even removing the Internet plug. :D

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Suppose I must be an odd duck then as all I use is a router and the built in XP firewall along with AntiVir PE and I haven't had an issue in so long I can't recollect when it was.

My motherboard comes with Nvidia Security and I found that to be more trouble than it was worth.

I'm of the mind that all the software in the world can't protect the blatantly careless ones from causing a problem.

For example a popup blocker is fairly useless when the user chooses "allow popup" when questioned. :blush:

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Suppose I must be an odd duck then as all I use is a router and the built in XP firewall along with AntiVir PE and I haven't had an issue in so long I can't recollect when it was.
No, not really, does that happen to be a NAT Router. ;)

I, for a long time never used anything more than the "tools" supplied by MS ... one day I got caught. :D

Even Microsoft got whacked good and proper, and they had a fix out that would have stopped the "virus" in its tracks ... shame the powers that be never implemented the fix as it was released, the month before the err, incident. :lol:

There is a lot of FUD ... Fear, uncertainty, and doubt .. or FUDD ... F*&$ing uterly dum data going round, generated by the 'industry', blogers or what, I dunno ... what I do know is, I personally see a lot of infected PCs. ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter I goes without saying said:
on a Windows PC[/i], the following software ...

Firewall
Antivirus
Anti-nastie-website-blocker
Anti-malware
Anti-Trojan
Anti-Spyware
Anti-Margret & uncle Tom Cobley
and the kitchen sink

I have Zone Alarm, but may change to Comodo on your recommendation, AVG and Spybot S&D What else do you think that I should look at? No anti-nastie-website-blocker or anti-Trojan on the system yet. I don't have an Anti-Margaret and, of course, never will have!!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Have used Zonealarm security suite for years now and its superb, never let me down once..But you have to pay for it, its not a freebie...

muckshifter

Reaction score
anti-nastie-website-blocker ... well, that would be SpywareBlaster. ;)

anti-Trojan ... not an easy one this.

Trojans are notorious to detect, never mind cleanup, and most Trojans require a 'special' specifically designed software to deal with them ... :nod:

a-squared has always touted itself to be an anti-Trojan scanner, however, it wasn't that good, due mainly to the nature of Trojans themselves ... I believe it has change tact, and is trying to be an all-in-one anti-nastie tool ... at least they have a Free version you can try out. :thumb:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Let us know how good it is if you try it. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
a-squared has always touted itself to be an anti-Trojan scanner, however, it wasn't that good, due mainly to the nature of Trojans themselves ... I believe it has change tact, and is trying to be an all-in-one anti-nastie tool ... at least they have a Free version you can try out. :thumb:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Let us know how good it is if you try it. :D

user.gif

Tried to download but it seems to be "unavailable" at the moment. Will try again later.

Ask a Question