Nest Guard has hidden microphone

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The Nest Guard has a new update which allows it to be voice-controlled... which is a surprise to everyone who already has one, because the company never disclosed that the device contains a microphone :wall:

Apparently the fact that the microphone was never disclosed was just an error, they never meant to hide it... but I don't know, I guess I'm just a cynic nowadays :rolleyes:

Business Insider was the first to find out about it:

In early February, Google announced that its home security and alarm system Nest Secure would be getting an update. Users, the company said, could now enable its virtual-assistant technology, Google Assistant.

The problem: Nest users didn't know a microphone existed on their security device to begin with.

The existence of a microphone on the Nest Guard, which is the alarm, keypad, and motion-sensor component in the Nest Secure offering, was never disclosed in any of the product material for the device.

On Tuesday, a Google spokesperson told Business Insider the company had made an "error."

You can read more here: Google says the built-in microphone it never told Nest users about was 'never supposed to be a secret'

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, and here's me just looking into getting a Nest Thermostat and Protect.... Here's hoping they don't have any hidden mics! :fool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
lol, and here's me just looking into getting a Nest Thermostat and Protect.... Here's hoping they don't have any hidden mics! :fool:

Haha, good timing then! To be honest I don't see a problem with there being a mic, but if there is one then buyers should be made aware of it (even if it hasn't been activated). I find it hard to believe that it was just an accidental omission...

Ask a Question