Which Anti-Virus to use?

Reaction score
New to this forum and just purchased a Dell All-in-One PC with free trial McAfee Security.
Old PC (Win 7) uses Windows Firewall, MSE, Ccleaner and Malwarebytes - all free.
What are my best free options to cover all bases?
Any help appreciated.

Biscuitman

Reaction score
I would just use the Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10.
CCleaner is not an antivirus or antimalware utility, but is good for cleaning and configuring startup items.

Reaction score
Thanks guys - useful info.
Hate paying through the nose for software when a lot of the free stuff is just as efficient.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Another Windows Defender user here. :)

Reaction score
New to this forum and just purchased a Dell All-in-One PC with free trial McAfee Security.
Old PC (Win 7) uses Windows Firewall, MSE, Ccleaner and Malwarebytes - all free.
What are my best free options to cover all bases?
Any help appreciated. Biscuitman

My opinion is that all antivirus are the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. It's allabunch of baloney. McCafee has a terrible reputation for invading your system, Norton too. Avast is no different, all baloney. I only use FREE MALWAREBYTES. everything else is a marketing ploy to use your computer for ads and popups. If you love antivirus, I have a 2 acre lot on the moon for sale with a view to the beach.

Reaction score
wonderful ive just joined this forum to ask the same question ive always used defender free malwarebytes and avast all together but as computer running so slow uninstalled the two latter so DEFENDER IS ENOUGH IT SEEMS !?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, Windows Defender used alone is generally considered to be as good as any other antivirus and, actually, better than most. You should never use two or more AVs at the same time as they often interfere with one another. :)

Reaction score
wonderful ive just joined this forum to ask the same question ive always used defender free malwarebytes and avast all together but as computer running so slow uninstalled the two latter so DEFENDER IS ENOUGH IT SEEMS !?
I had AVG for years on older windows pc's, defender wipes out the necessity of a third party AV. I'm hoping it's on windows 11.

Reaction score
Kaspersky Total Security.
It really depends on what you want. WD is good, has some features and will keep you safe on most of the Internet there.
I managed to get Kaspersky on black Friday / cyber Monday, because of the more advanced features, a better firewall, you get a password manager, safe browsing for your sensitive browsing like banking shopping, VPN but very limited bandwidth, but the most important I got it because I can tune more settings (even turning it off when I want, WD doesn't like to be turned off), I can install it on my phone to use anti theft.
So, if you get a deal, it is worth investing money into a good AV, Kaspersky, ESET, BitDefender have good results and all the bells and whistles. If looking for free one of the best is Windows Defender which is about par with the others. There are a couple of good free ones too but will have ads in them.

Also, don't run 2 AV at same time. Maybe have an AV and run Malwarebytes once a week or two. Always use an AV, there are websites there that you visit and you get infected, not even downloading anything, you might have an outdated firmware or software, or someone in the house has and from that an attack can look for weaknesses in your system

Reaction score
The best antimalware hardware is located between the ears.
When that one is properly functioning and the firmware fully updated, it doesn't usually matter what antimalware software is used.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Norton or Avira may be the way to go folks,

Norton 360 Now Comes With a Cryptominer

Norton 360, one of the most popular antivirus products on the market today, has installed a cryptocurrency mining program on its customers’ computers. Norton’s parent firm says the cloud-based service that activates the program and allows customers to profit from the scheme

So in theory you should be able to get your anti virus program for free and maybe even turn a profit.
What a great idea.
:clap:

In fact it is such a good idea that folks have taken up this up already and are helping their users to gain from this super neat idea.

500M Avira Antivirus Users Introduced to Cryptomining

This may be faster moving than the great South Sea Bubble.
1f61c.png

WmFFpnX.png

If only I could use those fabulous programs on my linux box.
1f913.png

Ask a Question