Your favourite sandwich

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sadly I can't eat sandwiches or bread anymore since the radiotherapy (mouth is dry) but it used to be:

1) Strong cheddar and thick slices of onion on wholemeal with real butter.

2) Crisp streaky bacon with tabasco sauce or chilli relish in tiger bread with real butter.

3) Crunchy peanut butter & Marmite in any bread with real butter.

Ciri: Yes, I used to enjor crisps in sandwiches, either with other foods or by themselves. Yum.

And I also recognised the Gyro sandwich as a doner kebab, which is one of those things you only seem to fancy after a long evening in the pub :D 'You wanna chilli sauce wiv dat innit mister?'

Very very greasy.

A shish kebab, however, chunks of lean lamb cooked on a skewer, is quite a healthy and balanced meal when you think about it, lean meat, unleavened bread and salad.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And I also recognised the Gyro sandwich as a doner kebab, which is one of those things you only seem to fancy after a long evening in the pub :D 'You wanna chilli sauce wiv dat innit mister?'

Very very greasy.

A shish kebab, however, chunks of lean lamb cooked on a skewer, is quite a healthy and balanced meal when you think about it, lean meat, unleavened bread and salad.
You are making my mouth water! :)

Unfortunately, what you eat in Europe as "donner kebab" is not half as tasteful as what you would eat in Eastern Mediterranean or Middle East. The fat disappears and there is only the taste of tender lamb. Would you believe if I told you, when in Cyprus, I actually used to pay £45 for a return flight to Ankara (capital of Turkey) once every month or two, just the eat the special "dionner kebab" they make in a restaurant there!

I used to have 2 or 3 portions and come out with my stomach muscles stretched to their limits. There is no salad to spoil the taste either. They serve the donner on a bed of chopped up pitta bread, covered in lightly spiced tomato sauce poured from a sizzling pan, followed by another waiter pouring over sizzling special garlic butter. The taste buds go into overdrive, and the food literally melts in your mouth...

Reaction score
Ill eat anything in a sandwich, so long as its not meat.

I bloody hate being a veggie.

Its really, really, sad.

Still, until you have tasted, extra strong cheddar, boiled egg, 2 veggieburgers, half an onion and a pile of brown sauce...

You havnt lived... ;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Ill eat anything in a sandwich, so long as its not meat.

I bloody hate being a veggie.

Its really, really, sad.

Still, until you have tasted, extra strong cheddar, boiled egg, 2 veggieburgers, half an onion and a pile of brown sauce...

You havnt lived... ;)

How long you been a veggie PG?
My daughter is veggie
(well, actually she says she's a vegaquarian since she'll eat fish as well as vege)
So she might have some suggestions you might like.

Flops, vege/marmite, crunchy peanut butter and Jam is one of my daughter's more... creative inventions. Worst of all is that it's delicious & I don't even like most of the ingredients :lol:
actually, except for really thinly spread vegemite, I don't like ANY of the ingredients :rolleyes:
I've never tried making it myself since I suspect that, if I managed to work out the correct proportions myself then I could get very fat eating it :nod:

Also recognised the doner kebab, but have to say that, the way they make it here it's not greasy.
Is usually strips of marinaded lean meat (lamb, beef or chicken) cooked on a flat open grill so it's not the long slow roasting described elsewhere. But it is disgustingly healthy. i used to make it myself occasionaly before Tomo went vege.
Hmmmmmm.... wonder if I would be able to make it using strips of 'vege-bacon'?
might give it a go after she gets back. Was always one of my favourites :nod:

Ask a Question