Barter

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was going to title this thread 'religion' but that's a bit of a volatile subject so I'll just post my observations here and ask you people whether you've had a similar experience.

Basically, in all my life, whenever I've worked for people, whatever work that is, the only people, ever, who've haggled, have been Jews and Muslims.

Sikhs and Christians have always, without exception, accepted (or on rare occasions refused) the price I've given. I don't think I've worked for other religious people so can't comment.

What does this tell us? I haven't got a clue, lol :D

Way back in around 1973 I done a disco for a Jewish wedding at Willesden, NW London. How I got the gig I cannot remember for I am most certainly not Jewish (as far as I know) but it went down well, they were happy, all was good.

At the time, I charged £30.00 the bearded geezer offered me £25.00.

I said no, and pointed out that an agreed price was an agreed price. He accepted that, paid me £30.00 and commented, smiling, 'Well, you've got to try, haven't you?'

Have you got to try? Cos it irritates the hell outta me.

Today I've been upgrading a sound system in a mosque and they asked me to put another microphone point in the secondary prayer room for them.

I gave it a quick once-over and said ok, £120.00 (figured it would take me about 90 minutes and around £15.00 worth of materials).

And he said 'How about £100.00?'

To be quite honest I'd cut this job to the bone for these people and was thinking maybe I'd under-priced it and I actually got a little angry.

I said' No, £120.00 is a fair price, you guys have already talked me down and to be honest I think you're taking the Mick, you're getting a good price.'

They backed down immediately and agreed the price. I mean, come on, it's peanuts anyway, although the whole job will only take me an hour and all the parts are paid for by the ongoing job anyway.

Which made me think - I had involuntarily got a little annoyed but it worked instantly.

How many times has me being nice against those who would haggle cost me money?

Must admit, that's what I like about working for Corporations and Educational establishments - they rarely haggle. They are used to dealing with things on a professional basis.

Anyhow, in all these years of working for lots of different people I have found Jews and Muslims take the Mickey, Christians and Sikhs do not.

How about you?

Now then, be nice, my comments are good humoured and a good natured observation.

I'm not out to knock certain groups, just comment on some human quirks.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Anyhow, in all these years of working for lots of different people I have found Jews and Muslims take the Mickey, .

Well we have to make our money somehow.....And hey lets be honest, you can't really tell me you have never tried to talk a person down...?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
In Yorkshire we fall out of the cradle haggling so its nowt to us, in fact we'd be offended if folk didn't haggle.
laughingsmiley.gif

I done some work for muslims, decorating and small jobs in a resteraunt. They always haggled. However they always offered meals and drinks every time I called in, even if it was only to measure up or drop of some supplies. Once they like you they spread the word and I ended up doing several different jobs for their friends.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback Gentlemen, I am now enlightened :)

Never too late to learn....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback Gentlemen, I am now enlightened :)

Never too late to learn....

Don't forget to send us our 10% kickback when the loot starts to roll in
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I don't think religion has anything to do with it but more of the culture you are talking to.

I spent several years in the far east, it was a done thing, didn't matter how old you were, to haggle ... I've no idea of what religion most of the people were/are but you even 'haggled' for your cooked food from the road-side cafe. The word 'cafe' was used very lightly. :D

I still do it today, especially for 'white' goods & such and it still works ... we, as a family, once 'bartered' after a fantastic meal at a chinese restaurant. We were all a wee bit tipsy, my sister's 60th, but we are regulars. :nod:

good post

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've always haggled in the Far East, mainly because they expect you to, and you can always reduce the price to some extent.

More recently I've tried it here in the UK especially in "Antique" shops where my missus is always looking out for small bits and pieces. I'd say that 75% of the time I will get the price down a bit. No harm in trying, they never put the price up. :D

Ask a Question