Windows XP Yet another 550 relay problem

Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Sorry guys and I know I'm new and this is a common problem but I have checked the previous questions and I still cannot resolve this one.

I use Outlook 2007 on XP and ukonline is my ISP

I have two ukonline email accounts (probably not relevent for this question)

Both work fine from my location but I often need to send and receive email from "off site"

I am having a REAL problem with BT (hence the name!)

I can receive ukonline mails no problem using a collegues BT broadband but I can't send

This has always been a problem but I got around it before by using my POP3 server (ukonline) and the BT outgoing smtp server (mail.btinternet.com) with a third account.

Using this account I could send mails with my collegues user name and password but my ukonline return address.

Somehow these setting have changed and I can no longer send mails from my collegues location using the BT connection (maybe when I changed to 2007 from 2003) although I still connect no problem and recieve no problem

I have tried to reset the third account settings to no avail and and in fact when testing the settings it refuses to connect to the incoming server, yet testing the other two accounts is fine at that point but they will not conect to the outgoing server and I receive a Yahoo message saying could not deliver message to my (correct) email address.

The settings for all three incoming accounts are identical and it always tries to recieve before sending so why the third account fails I do not know. Is that a clue?

What am I doing wrong?

Gentleman from BT India (maybe they should rename it IT!) insists it's a ukonline problem but then why do the other two accounts work fine? He also tells me he has had 6 months training and knows everything and my settings are correct. Oh and BTW I'm an idiot obviously!

Many thanks
yours
B Frustrated

Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Here is the Yahoo error message where my email is abcd at ukonline.co.uk (replaces my actual mail address for anti spam reasons, sorry)

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

@ ukonline.co.uk>:

212.135.6.8 failed after I sent the message.

Remote host said: 550 No From and/or Date header given

by smtp829.mail.ird.yahoo.com with SMTP; 24 Aug 2009 16:00:24 -0000

From: Microsoft Office Outlook

To: =?utf-8?B?UFNGUyAoQlQp?=

Subject: =?utf-8?B?TWljcm9zb2Z0IE9mZmljZSBPdXRsb29rIFRlc3QgTWVzc2FnZQ==?=

charset="utf-8"

This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Office Outlook while testing the settings for your account.

Edited by V_R to maintain forums formatting. :)

Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
1
Hi and welcome to the forum....

Instead of trying to complicate things by use missmatched settings..(How yu got it to work I will never know)

Just use Ukonline POP3 settings

Outgoing mail server:smtp.ukonline.co.uk Pop3 mail server:pop3.ukonline.co.uk
With your E-maill address/user name and password...Simple as that...

Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Am I being stupid again? I have those setting for my two email address's already. They each have accounts on Outlook. They work fine when I am at my ukonline broadband location but will not work here to send (work fine to receive and connect) emails at the BT internet one.

Thanks for the welcome. I know how iritating it can be with new guys asking the same old questions, so appologies but at least I did read the existing threads, that I could find anyway.

Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
4,081
Reaction score
1
BTsucks said:
Am I being stupid again? I have those setting for my two email address's already. They each have accounts on Outlook. They work fine when I am at my ukonline broadband location but will not work here to send (work fine to receive and connect) emails at the BT internet one.

Thanks for the welcome. I know how iritating it can be with new guys asking the same old questions, so appologies but at least I did read the existing threads, that I could find anyway.

Can you please edit your message with the long line in it..I don't have a 50 inch monitor..

Ok so when you use those POP setting from the location where you can recieve and connect..Are you getting any error when trying to send...? If you are take a screenshot of it and post it here..

Not irratating at all..We are here to help..

Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Don't know how the long line got there, thanks to V_R for fixing it.

I am not getting an error message as such just the yahoo message (above) in my inbox when using the @btinternet smtp settings and a similar message from the System Administrator (whoever that might be!) when using ukonline settings. Copy below: