Yellow Triangle with an ! inside of it


G

Guest

I keep getting a Yellow Triangle with an ! inside of it along with a bubble
popping sound. When I either right click, left click or double click, the
triangle disappears but it doesn't tell me why it appeared in the first place
and what the problem is. Why does it irratically pop up and what am I
supposed to do, what is it telling me?

Denise
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Will Denny

Hi

Where are you seeing the Yellow Triangle - on the Desktop, inside running
programs?

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
G

Guest

Sorry for the lack of info. I have Windows XP Pro. The triangle pops up in
my system tray. Nothing happens when it shows up . . . my pc doesn't freeze,
no programs stop running, etc. It just appears with a bubble popping sound
and when I click it, it goes away. At first I thought it was warning me that
I was getting low in memory as my C drive is only 40G and I was moving files
from other hard drives to it (organizing drives), but I never had less than
28G free. It happens when I'm not moving files to the drive, too. It
happens when I'm doing hardly anything, such as writing at this forum.

Denise
 
W

Will Denny

Hi

How have you got Windows Updates configured?

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
J

John John

Can you right click on it? Is anything recorded in the Event Log when
this happens? (Use Event Viewer to see the Event Log).

John
 
W

Will Denny

Hi

When you see it the next time, could please send me - not to the News
Group - a screen shot of it?

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
G

Guest

HartsVideo said:
I keep getting a Yellow Triangle with an ! inside of it along with a bubble
popping sound. When I either right click, left click or double click, the
triangle disappears but it doesn't tell me why it appeared in the first place
and what the problem is. Why does it irratically pop up and what am I
supposed to do, what is it telling me?

Denise
Hi Denise,
It may be the POP Up for Windows Update telling you have Updates ready to be
installed?.
Did you have any software installed recently.
nass
 
A

antioch

nass said:
Hi Denise,
It may be the POP Up for Windows Update telling you have Updates ready to
be
installed?.
Did you have any software installed recently.
nass
I thought the Win Update was a yellow shield with ! in it - unless the OP
meant that.
Antioch
 
G

Guest

Hi Denny . . . Automatic installation.



Will Denny said:
Hi

How have you got Windows Updates configured?

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
G

Guest

Hi John John, right click, left clicking, and doubling clicking does the same
thing . . . it closes the triangle.

I've never checked Event Viewer. I just clicked on Help & Support and, as
usual, it gives information about everything on a/the topic except what I
want to know. How do I open Event Viewer?

Denise
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Nothing happens on my screen. I simply get the icon in my tray along with a
bubble popping sound which goes away if I right click, left click or double
click on it. I'll give it a shot though. Where do you want me to send it to?

Denise
 
A

antioch

HartsVideo said:
Hi John John, right click, left clicking, and doubling clicking does the
same
thing . . . it closes the triangle.

I've never checked Event Viewer. I just clicked on Help & Support and, as
usual, it gives information about everything on a/the topic except what I
want to know. How do I open Event Viewer?

Denise
Start/progs/admin tools/event viewer
Antioch
 
W

Will Denny

Hi

Click on 'Reply' instead of 'Reply Group' and the file will get here.

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
G

Guest

Hi Harry, Yes, I run several different
spyware/adware/malware/anti-virus/trojan programs on a regular basis.
Nothing ever shows up except cookies and if I empty my cookies before I run
the programs, my pc's as clean as a whistle. I go to Trend Micro and have
the House Call program run once a week. Two or 3 times a week I run SpyBot,
Adaware, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, McAfee Avert Stinger, and
I have Microsoft AntiSpyware scheduled to run every day. I run hsremove once
a month and it's always come up clean. I have Microsoft updates on Automatic
and I have Sygate Firewall installed (sorry, I disabled Windows firewall). I
haven't seen any difference in the way my pc operates except for the triangle
appearing in my tray. It just started happening a few weeks ago.

Denise



Harry Ohrn MS MVP said:
Have you done a decent scan for spyware?
--


Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]


HartsVideo said:
I keep getting a Yellow Triangle with an ! inside of it along with a bubble
popping sound. When I either right click, left click or double click, the
triangle disappears but it doesn't tell me why it appeared in the first
place
and what the problem is. Why does it irratically pop up and what am I
supposed to do, what is it telling me?

Denise
 
W

Will Denny

You're not using Outlook Express - send it to (e-mail address removed)

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
 
J

John John

Did you search for Event Viewer in the Windows help files? There are
different ways of opening the Event Viewer, in the Control Panel |
Performance and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Computer
Management. Or in the Start | Programs Menu | Administrative Tools. Or
just type/paste this in the Start Menu | Run box: eventvwr.msc

Also, look at the running processes in your Task Manager to see if
anything there jogs your memory.

John
 
G

Guest

nass said:
Hi Denise,
It may be the POP Up for Windows Update telling you have Updates ready to be
installed?.
Did you have any software installed recently.
nass

Hi Nass, The icon that I receive in my system tray for Microsoft updates is
a yellow shield and it makes no sound . . . it just comes and goes in its
own time.

I download and install new programs quite frequently, and uninstall them if
I don't like them, about 5 different programs/updates a week. I d/l only
from sites that I know are safe, such as ZDNet, MajorGeeks, etc. I just
downloaded updates to MS Office today. I couldn't tell you what I downloaded
just prior to the yellow triangle showing up but most of them had to do with
videos, such as Nero, AutoGK, DVD Decrypter, AviSynth, codecs, DivX, XviD,
etc, for DVD backups. I'd had the programs before, but I downloaded and
installed .NET Framework 2.0 and then ran DOSclean. The DOSclean
automatically deleted items which messed up .NET Framework 2.0 which caused
problems with Nero, DVD Decrypter and AutoGK. So I got rid of everything and
reinstalled. I also run PC onPoint and RegSeeker several times a week to
clean my system.

Denise
 
G

Guest

Hi all you good people who who offerrf suggestions.

Just thought I'd let you know that I found out what the yellow triangle with
the black exclamation point inside it means (in this instance, anyway).

I have 8 external hard drives. Four of them are Maxtor One Touch II's. I
firewired 3 of them and the other one isn't connected right now. The other 4
are Seagates. The Seagate boxes said that they were USB 2.0 compatible but
the cables that were inside the box were 1.0. My pc kept telling me that I
had 4 available USB 2.0 ports but I couldn't find them so I thought that my
pc was crazy. Turns out, I had the Seagates connected to the 2.0 ports using
the given 1.0 cables and my pc was telling me that I was crazy because I had
4 available ports for the four 2.0 compatible hard drives and that I should
be using 2.0 cables.

When I was looking through my box of pc things today, I found a cable that
was included with one of my Maxtor One Touch II hard drives that I firewired,
and a light went on in my head. I opened the other 3 Maxtor boxes and took
out the other 3 cables and connected them to the 4 Seagates and now I no
longer get the yellow triangle with the black exclamation point in it, and I
no longer get the message telling me that I have 4 USB 2.0 ports available to
connect the drives to. Unless a person's used to dealing with hardware, it's
not easy to know things like that.

For the newbies out here, there's a huge difference in the appearance of the
1.0 and 2.0 cables. If anyone has the same problem, the 1.0 cables are black
and the 2.0 cables are silver with red connectors (mine were, anyway).

I just purchased a 4-port USB 2.0 card that I was going to install. Anyone
need a brand new, unopened 4 port USB 2.0 card? *laughing*

Denise
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

HartsVideo said:
Hi all you good people who who offerrf suggestions.

Just thought I'd let you know that I found out what the yellow triangle with
the black exclamation point inside it means (in this instance, anyway).

I have 8 external hard drives. Four of them are Maxtor One Touch II's. I
firewired 3 of them and the other one isn't connected right now. The other 4
are Seagates. The Seagate boxes said that they were USB 2.0 compatible but
the cables that were inside the box were 1.0. My pc kept telling me that I
had 4 available USB 2.0 ports but I couldn't find them so I thought that my
pc was crazy. Turns out, I had the Seagates connected to the 2.0 ports using
the given 1.0 cables and my pc was telling me that I was crazy because I had
4 available ports for the four 2.0 compatible hard drives and that I should
be using 2.0 cables.

When I was looking through my box of pc things today, I found a cable that
was included with one of my Maxtor One Touch II hard drives that I firewired,
and a light went on in my head. I opened the other 3 Maxtor boxes and took
out the other 3 cables and connected them to the 4 Seagates and now I no
longer get the yellow triangle with the black exclamation point in it, and I
no longer get the message telling me that I have 4 USB 2.0 ports available to
connect the drives to. Unless a person's used to dealing with hardware, it's
not easy to know things like that.

For the newbies out here, there's a huge difference in the appearance of the
1.0 and 2.0 cables. If anyone has the same problem, the 1.0 cables are black
and the 2.0 cables are silver with red connectors (mine were, anyway).

I just purchased a 4-port USB 2.0 card that I was going to install. Anyone
need a brand new, unopened 4 port USB 2.0 card? *laughing*

Denise


Thanks for Posting back tyour Valuable Findings.
Best wishes
nass
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top