XP very slow at startup

G

I was having a problem with the speed of my DVD writer and I realised that it was set (don't how) to PIO mode. Since it was impossible to set it back to DMA (Win wouldn't let me) I decided to remove the secondary IDE channel (where the DVD recorder is connected) and let WinXP recognise it at startup. It worked an the drive is now in DMA mode BUT (!!!) now WinXP is very (VERY) slow at startup: I get the desktop in few seconds but then I have to wait a couple of minutes before all the icons in the taskbar appears (sound,firewall,antivirus, wireless lan)
I think the problem is the drive because..
.... when Win starts up, if I try to open Explorer it takes ages for it to open (untill, maybe, the drive is recognised)
.... I tried running several spyware detector and nothing was found

Please suggest..

Thanks
gandal

G

when u get the desktop hit ctrl+alt+delete and in the processes tab see wats using cpu power (ignore system idle process), check if the dvd drive is the only device on the secondary ide port check that the jumper is set to master, also how much am is free once windows start (check through tasm manager), u might not have enough ram so virtual memeory is being used excessively

G

I think, after reading other posts, the problem is related to NAV2003 and NPF2003 (ccevtmgr.exe) but none of the suggested problem work

----- michael wrote: ----

when u get the desktop hit ctrl+alt+delete and in the processes tab see wats using cpu power (ignore system idle process), check if the dvd drive is the only device on the secondary ide port check that the jumper is set to master, also how much am is free once windows start (check through tasm manager), u might not have enough ram so virtual memeory is being used excessively

G

Try this as I am having the same issue at the moemnt and beginning to clear it up. I had to relaod XP and when I did all the trouble really started. It was taking 5 minutes to boot up and my icon try never was stable, things might show once and not the other. It took like 5 minutes to load everything including NAV and NPF, my LAN connections, AOL IM and such. If you know how to run msconfig, run it and under services....unclick DSSP directory Services. Run with it that way and see what happens.I did and now all my icon buttons are back(everytime) and at least NAV and NFP load in about 1 minute. I'm not sure what the heck DSSP directory services is, but it's 90% of my issue. Let me know!

G

Try this........................run msconfig and under servicestab , deselect "DSSP directory services", under startup tab, leave all startup info and then try it. Mine was taking 5 minutes to load, wouldn't load all items in the icon try and I have NIS2004 which includes NAV and NPF and this cleared up my issue. I don't know what DSSP is and why you might want it....I'm off to find out what the heck that is now!

G

Gnawbone

I uninstalled NAV and installed McAffee. Problems are all solved. This is
the last time a Norton product will slow my system down!

Dave said:
Try this........................run msconfig and under servicestab ,
deselect "DSSP directory services", under startup tab, leave all startup
info and then try it. Mine was taking 5 minutes to load, wouldn't load all
items in the icon try and I have NIS2004 which includes NAV and NPF and this
cleared up my issue. I don't know what DSSP is and why you might want
it....I'm off to find out what the heck that is now!

Ask a Question