Windows XP XP - unable to log on - missing system file - moved to missing pci file - where next?

Reaction score
Where to start? I run Windows XP Professional, recent problems with the WINLOGON.EXE file missing meant a full re-format of the drive and I lost tons of work. During the course of many other re-boots, re-formats and re-instalations the error moves. It eventually settled on missing WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file.

After many adventures I got it running but it has come back!!!

Researching this on the web I tried using the recovery console and copied the file from the CD to the disk using:-
c:cd system~1\_resto~1\rp4\snapshot> copy _registry_machine_system c:windows\system32\config\system

Feeling cocky I restarted the PC only to find the missing file has moved again to system32driverspci.sys

Having spent the last three weeks trying to fix this I am at my wits end and the PC needs to be fixed or grow wings as it will be flying out the window shortly. I am no PC wizard but can follow instructions. I have read each error but no report on this type of series of errors. I thought a reinstallation and keeping the PC off line would fix it - but it only lasts for a day or two.

Help please?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. :)

I would first check memory and then the HD

Could you give us more information on the PC you have & OS and any updates. ;)

Reaction score
Hi,
Memory is 40 gig and only windows XP professional running. Later added the Panda but next to nothing used. PC is a Pentium 4 tower.

Original crash was about two weeks ago but I had installed all the Windows updates up to that time, including Pack 2. Now I am trying to get it running stable with the original XP or Millennium from the PC I am using to type this, so it is a basic pack without any updates, which I am keeping off line until I can gaurantee it is working.

Anything else you need to know? I am not a PC buff so feel free to use 'dummy' language.

thanks, PJ

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
P4 tower is a bit vague, what make and model is the system? im assuming its a shop bought system ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
pgaj said:
Hi,

Anything else you need to know? I am not a PC buff so feel free to use 'dummy' language.

thanks, PJ
I find it impossible to get a quote over the phone for a car ... I tell them it's a red hatchback and they keep asking me for more information ... I'm afraid we also need the "extra" information. ;)

Does it have a name or are there any stickers on it or do you have any paperwork on it?

:)

Reaction score
Hi, OK what do you need to know and how do I find it?
The PC was bought off my neighbour who emigrated last year, so not shop bought. It has no branding but 'Assembled by Centreprise' on the rear. nVIDIA graphics and Intel P4 stickers on the front. Is there an easy way to get the PC to tell me the motherboard or do I need to dig it out and lift the lid? It looks pretty plain, probably an ex-company one I am guessing. Since last year I have put in a Phillips single speed DVD ROM (from my old PC) and a R/RW DVD. Other software running prior to the crash is software I have been running for a while on 'this' PC, Paintshop Pro 7, Real Player from the web, Nero from the web, XP Office, True Sync for my mobile phone, HP DeskJet 840 series, autoroute 2001, NetObjects Fusion 6, Wanadoo Broadband Modem software, ... there are probably a few other bits and bobs on there but as it crashed I am struggling to remember ones that I do not have the disks for. Prior to this problem I had hardly touched the system and was happy just using it for the internet, family photos, updated a website I have, keeping contacts up to date between my phone and Outlook, the odd letter in word and a few home accounts in XL - nothing spectacular. Always had more than 20 Gig memory. Run very well for 12 months only in the last month has it started to crash and give these errors, prior to that it was the occassional turn it off and back on again and it works!!!
Just finished a chkdsk /p on the PC and it reads - 'found one or more errors on the volume'. 40,146,403 kilobytes available, 384,431,221 kilobytes are available. No cables attached or USB being used. Only XP, Panda and Office loaded onto it currently. Sitting with it next to me in with it in recovery console mode, just waiting for two barrels into it's smug screen!!!
Like I said, I am no PC guru but if you can work this one out I will buy you drinks all night in the local pub! Cheers, PJ

Reaction score
Hi muckshifter - just seen your reply. Hope you read my previous one? You are right and I will give you all the information I can, even if I need to get under the bonnet and clean the oil off the serial number for you. At least the windows analogy works.
3 people break down in a car, the first a chemist, recommends an analysis of the petrol to see if the problem lies there. The second, a physicist, recommends a complete analysis of the atomic interactions within the engine to see where the problem lies. The third one works for INTEL and suggest they wind down all the windows and then wind them back up again!!! Well, after three weeks it is either laugh or scream!
Cheers, PJ

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well I'll give it a go but first the 40gig memory you keep referring to is actually your "hard drive" space ... free space being 20gig.

OK, I got bad news and BAD news ... WINLOGON.EXE "errors" can actually be caused by a virus, second run CHKDSK /F ... note the "F" ... let me know if it shows any "bad" sectors.

Open up the 'box' and let me know if there are any significant writings on the motherboard and or chips ... don't go quoting everything, just what stares you in the face. They should be bigger and bolder than any of the other etchings.

At this stage, it is either ... virus or bad hard drive. :(

:)

Reaction score
Hi again,
the PC would not recognise /f but it recognised /r. I ran this and it came up with 'chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.'

Took off the lid not much to see. PCB states - Intel desktop board D845 P.T. The power supply is FSP Group model FSP250-60GTV (PF). Both major chips are beneath the heat sinks, one with an additional fan, so I will shut it down later and take a look under them.

THere was a small chip I could read SMSC LPC47M142-NC D0138-A9362 8H106906 American Megatrends 1994.

Any of this help?
PJ

muckshifter

Reaction score
NO! ... do NOT take off the HS ... it will have to do.

How did you run CHKDSK ... normally in XP you run it from the 'command' line ... Start button / Run and type CHKDSK /F ... XP will moan it cannot and would you like to do so after a restart ... you then just restart your PC and sit with your bum on your hands and let it finish.

I still think it's the HD

Reaction score
I ran the chkdsk from the recovery console. Since then I have tried to get windows running but on every reboot it crashes and loops back to rebooting. Tried safe mode, tried last known good configuration, tried normal. Then ran from XP in the CD player in the repair current system mode - this gave an internal setup error = 'Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error.'

Lastly I ran a fresh instalation overwriting existing Windows files. This worked. This is where I am currently.

This is not the solution I am sure as over the last three weeks I have managed virtually daily to get Windows running but... every time, a day or two later it crashes and I have to start again. Last time I got here I ran register checkers until the system was totally clean, scanned for viruses and none found. Then just turned the PC on and off over the next few days hoping it had been sorted.

Now I have windows up - any recommendations on how to proceed to determine what the problem is? I would like to check what I can until I turn it off as if it crashes it takes all day to get back up.

OK - HS will remain on the chips.

Thanks, PJ

Reaction score
Morning,

just to keep whoever is reading this up to date, and many thanks for any suggestions that will be put forward. I fully appreciate the time taken to help having spent what seems like my entire life on this!!!

Logged on OK this morning, not expecting it to crash for a day (maybe 2), but it came up with the error report so I can give more information:-

Error Signature: BCCode:C0000218 BCP1:E14DAB20 BCP2:00000000 BCP3:00000000 BCP4:00000000 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:0_0 Product: 256_1

Files included in the error report: C:\WINDOWS\MINIDUMP\MINI021306-01.DMP
c:\DOCUME~1\PJ1990~1.PAR\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER1.TMP.DIR00\SYSDATA.XXML

I am happy to run any checks anyone can suggest to ensure the PC is clean. I am not going to start installling software until it works for at least 4 days. You can imagine getting to this point once or twice before but now I have done this at least 10 times, slight variations in problems but still problems.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Morning,

CAUSE

This problem may occur if either of the following conditions is true: •The hardware where you are trying to install Windows XP may not be compatible with Windows XP.•The hard disk where you are trying to install Windows XP may be damaged.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830084

:(

Untill you can beg, borrow or buy a new HD, I feel you are ****ing into the wind. sorry. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi,

First Point - So if the HD will not take Windows XP Pro - then I presume I can install Windows Millennium? How did the PC run XP for over 12 months with no problems?

Second Point - If the HD is damaged can the damaged part of the drive be partitioned or roped off in some way?

Is there any way I can check which of these two are correct? Or is it a case of loading Windows Millenium and suck it and see?

thanks for the replies so far,

pgaj

muckshifter

Reaction score
pgaj said:
Hi,

First Point - So if the HD will not take Windows XP Pro - then I presume I can install Windows Millennium? How did the PC run XP for over 12 months with no problems?
If, and I say that again, IF the HD is damaged, you wont get anything to run.

Second Point
- If the HD is damaged can the damaged part of the drive be partitioned or roped off in some way?
Nope!

Is there any way I can check which of these two are correct? Or is it a case of loading Windows Millenium and suck it and see?
Yes, you can try another known good HD ... you could try WinME.

Look pgaj, I would like to be proved wrong, really, however, unless you have an alternative HD to try, you is stuck. :rolleyes:

NOTHING lasts forever ... even we have a maximum life expectancy. ;)

Reaction score
Update...

Update today...

15-2-06 deleted all partitions, and recreated them. Reformated the whole drive. Loaded WindowsMe - OK, loaded XP - OK.

16-2-06 turned on OK - no problems - loaded Windows Office.

17-2-06 turned on OK - installed modem for broadband.

18-2-06 turned on OK - ran registry checker - eveything running OK.

19-2-06 turned on OK - everything running OK.

20-2-06 PC automatically ran disk checker - replaced bad cluster - ran OK all day.

21-2-06 PC automatically ran disk checker - replaced bad cluster - ran OK all day.

22-2-06 today PC ran disk checker and removed two unreadable folder entries - currenly running OK.

XP is now running, Windows running, linked to the internet OK, typing this from the PC, OK. I am expecting it to have problems soon, but if from comments to date nothing would run if there was a HD problem - then it looks like this is not a HD problem?

What else can it be? What else can I do other than fingers crossed?

Confused and waiting to replace any part that will sort the problem out once and for all.

Reaction score
You should change your HD, because these problems are due to 1-memory problem, 2 HD problem. But , because windows XP (not millenium) was installed, without any error, that means your Rams are OK. Bad clusters appears in time, it doesn't mean that your hard drive is good. That's why you should replace your hard drive, and you better buy a Seagate one.
About the chkdsk command, /F is unavailble, the two choices are /P and /R.

Ask a Question