XP SP2 Sysprep Problem

As many people have discovered, when you create a computer image from a
Windows XP SP2 prototype then run Sysprep, the Default User profile gets
copied over by the Administrator profile.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887816

The above article mentions a hotfix. I have never used the hotfix to get
around the problem, instead I just rename the Administrator account. This
has worked on several different prototypes and I haven't seen any problems
from it.

Can someone confirm that there are no known issues with this method?
Because I am about to be involved in the re-imaging for a large student
computer lab, I want to be certain. It's interesting that MS doesn't mention
it as a workaround, so maybe there's a good reason.

By the way, I have seen some serious problems created by copying user
profiles.
I have seen where the Administrator's profile gets copied to the Default
User profile, then all users end up with the same Outlook.pst (the one in the
original profile) which can be a huge privacy problem as well as an
inconvenience. In fact, if the user doesn't have Admin rights they can't
even open Outlook because they don't have access to the .pst in the other
profile. I have also seen where it creates a Desktop and My Documents Folder
in the Local Service profile. Sometimes when the user tries to save a file,
such as a Word document, the default My Documents folder that shows in the
Save As dialog box is the one from Local Service. There are undoubtedly
other problems caused by this that I haven't even seen.

Do these problems also show up when Sysprep causes the Administrator profile
to be copied to the Default User profile, or is that one of the reasons MS
decided to do this?

Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Charlie,
So there are a couple of questions about which scenario you are actually
asking about.
1) Are you overwriting the default user profile with another profile? If
the answer is yes there are issues with this and this shouldn't be done.
This can break any number of items and requires each user to be an
administator. Permissions and links in the profiles are no longer correct.
2) Are you asking if renaming the administrator profile is a workaround for
the issue with SP2 over writing it is acceptable? Yes this should work
fine, the default user profile is not overwritten, this assumes that you
are not overwriting the default user profile with another profile. Sysprep
looks for an administrator profile and when it doesn't find one it skips
the step of replacing the default user profile.
3)The change to sysprep to overwrite the default user profile was made
because people were requesting that they have a way to do this that would
be supported. Since this option was added to Sysprep this is a supported
way to copy over profile information and replace the default user profile
with the Administrator profile.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Subject: XP SP2 Sysprep Problem
<Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]

OK, excellent.
You did answer my questions, for the most part.

You have confirmed that there are no problems using the Administrator
renaming method, I'm just surprised MS doesn't mention it as a workaround.

You also said that the change to Sysprep to overwrite the Default User
profile was done as a supported way of copying profiles. But what does that
mean? (This next line answers your first question - ) I never copy profiles
because I have seen the problems that it causes, as I mentioned in my
profiles", does that mean all the problems that copying profiles has caused
in the past don't happen? I believe I have heard otherwise. The reason I'm
concerned about this is because I am about to start working with a new team
and I am afraid they may be customizing the Administrator's profile and
letting it copy to the Default User.

Thanks and hopefully I am being lucid.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]

I replied to this last night, but it doesn't show.
Anyway, you answered my questions, for the most part.

To answer your first question, I absolutely don't copy profiles because of
the problems, mentioned in my previous post, that I have seen it cause.

The only big question I still have is whether these problems have been
eliminated by this "supported method" of copying profiles when using Sysprep.
I had heard otherwise in this Newsgroup right after SP2 RTM was released.

It's important to me because I am about to work on creating images with a
new team, and I suspect that they have been customizing the Administrator's
profile and then letting Sysprep copy it to Default User.

Thanks for your help.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
[...]

It certain is possible that some problems may remain after the change in
SP2. This should address some of the more common issues that were occuring
after a profile copy and replace, but it may not have captured all the
possible conditions.
The permissions should be reset for example, some of the registry settings
should not be correct for the new users. there are a lot of potential for
issues with this procedure however this is starting point to make that
process easier and supportable.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Subject: RE: XP SP2 Sysprep Problem
<Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:04:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Thanks Darrell -
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
[...]

<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<> <
[...]

That's as good an answer as I'm going to find so I'm satisfied. I still
think it's strange that MS uses that as the default behavior for Sysprep, but
no big deal.

I've finally met with the person who is most responsible for deploying the
images on my new team. As it turns out he IS creating and customizing a
profile and copying it to the Default User profile. I believe he said that
the Adminstrator profile is renamed by Group Policy, so he has avoided the
problem of Sysprep undoing his customizations.

I mentioned to him the problems with copying profiles manually and he says
there haven't been any. This a student computer lab where profiles aren't
saved, nobody uses Outlook and data is saved on removable media.
In this case, I think he may be correct that he won't have any problems.
(And they will be HIS problems, since he is making the decisions.)
What do you think?

Thanks again.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Charlie,
It certain is possible that some problems may remain after the change in
SP2. This should address some of the more common issues that were occuring
after a profile copy and replace, but it may not have captured all the
possible conditions.
The permissions should be reset for example, some of the registry settings
should not be correct for the new users. there are a lot of potential for
issues with this procedure however this is starting point to make that
process easier and supportable.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:04:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Thanks Darrell -
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
[...]

<> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<> <
[...]

If the users are all adminsitrators then ususally most of the visible
problems aren't apparent.
items like shortcuts on startup menu may be located improperly yet of
permisions are not correct, but admins have access anyway.
the location of files like wall paper if they reside in the profile may
have access problems.
The issues can still exist however most of them probably will not be
detrimental in this case.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:55:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
[...]
<> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:04:03 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<> <
<> <Thanks Darrell -
<> <
[...]
<> <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<> <
[...]

<> <>
<> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
<> rights
<> <> --------------------
<> <> <Thread-Topic: XP SP2 Sysprep Problem
<> <> <thread-index: AcVx6QaqgwS+NRIZRQSiumofSKIgtw==
<> <> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 136.167.110.56
<> <> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<> <> <Subject: XP SP2 Sysprep Problem
<> <> <Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:30:10 -0700
<> <> <Lines: 33
<> <> <Message-ID: <[email protected]>
<> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <> < charset="Utf-8"
<> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <> <Importance: normal
<> <> <Priority: normal
<> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
<> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
<> <> <Path:
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl
<> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <> microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment:32455
<> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<> <> <