XP Setup Problem

G

Greetings!

I have recently upgraded my computer and have tried both upgrading and clean installing Windows XP Home on my computer. Usually, it gets to approx. the 34 min mark (Driver install) and the screen goes blank. The computer appears to continue working, but eventually stops. I have also gotten the computer to the point where it saves settings and restarts, but when after the intro screen, the screen is black, and I get no chance to setup user accounts, activate, etc. However, I can get into Safe Mode. I have tried using a very basic PCI video card in place of the new one I just bought, again to no avail.

I have had XP working on my old system, so I know it has something to do with my current setup. However, every piece of hardware I have IS on the HCL.

Old system:
550 MHz Pentium III
128 MB RAM
40 GB & 20 GB Hard Drive
Sound Blaster Live! sound card
ATI Rage Fury 128 video card (1x/2x)

New System:
2.6 GHz Pentium 4
Intel D845EPI Motherboard
512 MB RAM
40 & 20 BG Hard Drive
Sound BLaster Live! sound card
Hercules 3D Prophet video card (uses ATI RADEON 7500 128MB RAM) (4x/2x)

I currently have Windows ME up and running on the system, so it makes little sense that XP will not.

Any help and/or information is most gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Scott Rogers

G

i just solved the same problem. my machine was freezing up at the 34-35 minute mark. i removed all excess stuff from my machine, left only one hard drive and one cdrom then reset the bios to the default settings and everything worked fine from there.

Ask a Question