XP reinstalled - won't recognize spanned disk

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to install a "fresh" copy of XP on a second partition of my boot drive.

This new copy of XP boots fine, but it does NOT recognize my data drive(s), which are
a spanned set of 3 disks on IDE.

The boot drive is on SCSI; there are 3 IDE drives which are spanned as one large
drive.

If I boot into the OLD copy of xp, the spanned drive comes up fine.

If I boot into the NEW copy of xp, under Disk Manager:
- the first of the spanned drives appears as "Disk 0 - online" and the partition area says "failed";
- then there are entries for "Disk 1" and "Disk 2", which say "unreadable";
- then Disk 3 is the SCSI drive, which appears fine;
- then there are two "Missing - Dynamic - Failed" disks with no number! (which seem to be the spanned partitions, which xp is looking for on a non-existent channel??)

I am hesitant to do anything from disk manager for fear of losing the data on the
spanned drive.

Am I missing something?

Are the spanned disks supposed to appear as one disk from the xp "blue screen" setup
(CD)?

Do I need to load some special driver during setup so that it recognizes the spanned
set?

FYI, doing a "reactive disk" does nothing; and "import foreign disk" is not available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ze'ev

Ask a Question