XP Pro Upgrade blurp

Kenny

Hi,

I just received my new CD for upgrading to XP Pro from ME.
I tried to install twice, but both times, I got the
following:

"Error: Installation Failed. D:\I386\asms The parameter
is incorrect"

D:\ is my CD Drive... Does this mean that I have a bad CD?
Or is there a step that I'm missing? ^.,.^

Any help is grearly appreciated,

Kenny

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message
When You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311755&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kenny" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Hi,
|
| I just received my new CD for upgrading to XP Pro from ME.
| I tried to install twice, but both times, I got the
| following:
|
| "Error: Installation Failed. D:\I386\asms The parameter
| is incorrect"
|
| D:\ is my CD Drive... Does this mean that I have a bad CD?
| Or is there a step that I'm missing? ^.,.^
|
| Any help is grearly appreciated,
|
| Kenny

Thanks for the quick response, Carey.

I don't think this applies in my situation... I checked
and saw that asam directory under i386 does exist. The
problem is that it complains the parameter is incorrect -
no specifying which parameter or how to fix it. It does
not give a chance to type in anything. One can only view
the log file and quit the setup.

Hence, my suspecting that the CD is bad. I even tried for
the third time, thinking there would be more info that I
may have missed the first two rounds - but no luck, same
failure.

Kenny