XP or Vista for new laptop???????????

Reaction score
I know this isn't strictly the right place to post this but not enough people are viewing the Vista area, so thought I'd post it here too, because I need an answer asap!!:blush:

Am trying to purchase a new laptop and don't know whether to go for Windows XP or Vista!
I need my laptop mainly for internet browsing, maybe downloading music and the occasional word/excel document. Can anyone advise?
My main concern is that at work we have XP and Office 2003, will I be able to save an Excel document onto a USB Data stick, take it home and open it, edit and re-save it on my Vista laptop then take it back to work and re-open it, edit and save it back on XP/Office 2003??
Not being a clued-up computer x-pert... Do I need Office on my laptop too?

[mucks edit: to protect your indiscretion, deleted text]

Plus will my Sims 2 game (bought for XP computer) work on laptop with Vista?

Sorry for being so long....:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My main concern is that at work we have XP and Office 2003, will I be able to save an Excel document onto a USB Data stick, take it home and open it, edit and re-save it on my Vista laptop then take it back to work and re-open it, edit and save it back on XP/Office 2003??
It don't matter what OS you use ... Office 2003 can be installed on Win98/WinME/XP/Vista ... Vista & XP do not come with Office unless you buy it at the same time, or later.

There is a difference between Office 2003 and Office 2007. ;)

I would be more concerned about whether this Laptop can run Vista. :D

Any more talk on what "version" you have from whom, may result in you being banned from the forum.

:user:

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Just let me clarify (not the brightest spark, you know!:D ).... So if I got Office 2007 on my new Vista laptop, would I be able to open documents from Office 2003 on an XP OS? Will my old printer work too?

And any idea if old (Sims2) games work on Vista?

I think the laptop should run Vista, by the way, because it comes with it!

Not sure whether to just go to PC World and buy a take-home Vista one or wait and have a Dell one built or order a cheap one off the internet!?!

Reaction score
Vista is very picky with game compatability. And hardware compatability. And software compatability for that... :p

Anyway, I would just go for Vista if you aren't into any serious gaming, as it is prettier, a bit easier to use and will save you the cost of having to upgrade over the coming years :)

Reaction score
office 2007 will open office 2003 documents

and it will work the other way

when you open an office 2007 document on office 2003 is does look a little weird
but will print out the same output.

Depends on what printer you got and if Vista will support it but I presume it will work.

good luck on a laptop search
i would go for windows xp myself
but most new laptops come with vista

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
chickeninabun said:
I wouldn't need to do "deja-Vu" if anyone actually read and posted on these blooming forums!

Is there actually no-one out there??

I've removed your other threads, but I had to comment on this part of them.

That is really uncalled for chickeninabun. You've posted three threads all on the same thing and expect an answer instantly?! This is a free forum where people try to help eachother out, posting lots of times and complaining does not help at all.

Reaction score
My suggestion is to stick with XP. I have had Vista for about a month now on my laptop and it has been nothing but a pain. I have spent more time in forums trying to figure out ways around the over-kill security than I have in the past two years.

Thanks

Ask a Question