XP Home Repair doesn't find previous version (even though BOOTCFG/SCAN does)

G

XP Home broke after I installed a new scanner driver and application. The application failed so I used system restore to try to recover to a point before the change. I accidentaly chose a restore point between driver and application installation instead of before everything.

XP won't boot in normal, safe mode (driver loading stops at MUP.SYS), or last good configuration. XP had been running perfectly for > 1 year

Tried to repair
Boot from XP Home CD (OEMPlus Version
Hit enter at Welcome to Setup (To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER)
F8 to accept License
Searching for Previous Versions of Windows displays on status bar but does not find one - goes to partition screen and skips repair option

- Recovery Console works and I am able to see directory listings of \windows and all subdirectorie
- Bootcfg /scan finds previous version of windows in \windows

I cannot figure out why I can't repair. I would prefer not to reinstall everything from scratch again, (OS + updates, applications +updates, configuration settings, endless hours of work, etc.) and I can't afford to lose the data

If anyone can offer any suggestions about how to get repair to work, I would be most gratefull

Thanks, Ke

G

This article is a life-saver

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot.ht

Windows XP Crashed? Here's Help
A salvage mission into the depths of Windows XP, explained by a non-gee
by Charlie Whit

I followed the instructions and was able to restore my XP home system to the point just before the software installation that killed it

If XP won't boot, but you can get into the recovery console, this article may help. It uses the Recovery Console to delete the Windows configuration files, copy in new ones from the Repair directory, boot, use System Restore to restore to a recovery point prior to when the problem started, and KEEP all applications and settings

THANK you Charlie!!!!

Regards

Ke

----- KenO wrote: ----

XP Home broke after I installed a new scanner driver and application. The application failed so I used system restore to try to recover to a point before the change. I accidentaly chose a restore point between driver and application installation instead of before everything.

XP won't boot in normal, safe mode (driver loading stops at MUP.SYS), or last good configuration. XP had been running perfectly for > 1 year

Tried to repair
Boot from XP Home CD (OEMPlus Version
Hit enter at Welcome to Setup (To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER)
F8 to accept License
Searching for Previous Versions of Windows displays on status bar but does not find one - goes to partition screen and skips repair option

- Recovery Console works and I am able to see directory listings of \windows and all subdirectorie
- Bootcfg /scan finds previous version of windows in \windows

I cannot figure out why I can't repair. I would prefer not to reinstall everything from scratch again, (OS + updates, applications +updates, configuration settings, endless hours of work, etc.) and I can't afford to lose the data

If anyone can offer any suggestions about how to get repair to work, I would be most gratefull

Thanks, Ke

Ask a Question