XP-Home Backup won't restore the SystemBackup.bkf file

G

Several months ago I used XP Home Backup to backup the system to an external hard disk which it did successfully. After a recent hard disk crash I tried to use XP home to restore the SystemBackup.bkf file from my external hard disk. I used "Advanced" mode, "Restore and Manage Media", "Confirm Restore, Start now?" and got the "Check Backup file location" screen which correctly was pointing at the file. When I clicked OK, the system reasponded that "The backup file could not be found". The "Please verify" box contained the correct location. When I clicked OK the system responded with "The file doesn't exist or does not contain any backup sets".

I vaguely recall reading that XP Home can't restore the SystemBackup.bkf file, only XP Professional can. Is this correct or is there another explanation? I have a ton of data in that backup file.

Ask a Question