Backup programs.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Do you use a backup program ?

If so what do you use ?

Which open source backup solution do you use?

Even though lots of our data exists in the cloud today, you still need to protect your local files with a reliable backup solution. When I needed a new offsite backup solution for my Linux desktop files, I asked my editors and fellow Community Moderators at Opensource.com to share their recommendations. They provided some familiar and some new-to-me options.

13 open source backup solutions

Recently, we published a poll that asked readers to vote on their favorite open source backup solution. We offered six solutions recommended by our moderator community—Cronopete, Deja Dup, Rclone, Rdiff-backup, Restic, and Rsync—and invited readers to share other options in the comments. And you came through, offering 13 other solutions (so far) that we either hadn't considered or hadn't even heard of.

At the moment my backup regime is almost non existent. In the past I used a home made script with rysnc which I will have to bring up to date.
:cool:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I never used a special software solution to backup my data. I just always inserted the backup media and dragged the files over using File Explorer.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I used to, not done a backup for some time now. I do 'copy' a couple of files to a flash drive, when I remember.

I don't have any critical data to bother with backups.

:user:
Wot no train schedules or game saves :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nope. What's the need ? If it goes tits up just re-install.

Well reinstalling is an option, if you really love a hard slog. Like this for example,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/fresh-win-10-install.4074486/

AS you can see setting up a os with all your own tweaks and customisations can take some time. Even a linux set up takes a while, it is much quicker initially as most distros come with a load of programs. However tweaking and adding extra programs does take up time and effort.

I keep a backup of my full system usually once a week, though lately I have been a tad lazy and my last backup is a couple of months old. Creating the back up takes about fifteen minutes running a homemade script utilising rysync. I keep the backup on a 500GB drive that runs in a dock. Re-installing takes about the same amount of time possibly a tad longer as I run the script from a live usb distro.

So lets see no backup means a full fresh install which can take anywhere from a few hours to quite a long time,
or,
Doing a couple of clicks and your back up and running again in less than half an hour.
I'm lazy so I take the latter option :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Currently using the 2015 version of Acronis True Image and have backups of Win 10; Win 7 and Mint 19.1.

Folders that change daily are backed up every few days to a USB stick whilst large folders such as Music and Photos backed up monthly to external hard disks.

Only reason I back up OS's is to save time re-installing should anything crash cos a reinstall can be very time consuming, especially Win 10 which is at least a 12 hour marathon with all updates and lots of apps.

I've used Acronis True Image for years now, very reliable, there's a free version available if you use a Western Digital HDD in the machine with the OS you want to back up.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Only reason I back up OS's is to save time re-installing should anything crash cos a reinstall can be very time consuming, especially Win 10 which is at least a 12 hour marathon with all updates and lots of apps.

Yes indeed having a recent backup of the full os does save time and frustration whatever the breed of os. I use a external drive dock to accomplish the task an I guess you do too.
With modern set ups making a backup takes very little time, I normally set mine to run whilst I make a meal or have a time out snack. Then when I have finished my break I do a quick check to make sure the backup is sound before storing it.
With storage relatively cheap these days it is a good idea to keep a copy of the two latest full backups, eg: a Monday and a Tuesday just in case one of them is a bad save.

Now all I have to do is follow my own advice :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use a external drive dock to accomplish the task an I guess you do too.

Uh, nope. Bedroom machine with swappable drive caddy has main OS various flavours, various sizes, and 3 x 2Tb HDDs for Storage; Music/Films and Games.

Main machine has Win 10 on 500Gb NVME M.2 then a couple more HDDs, one for storage one for games.

I do use an external dock for large folder backup though.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Uh, nope. Bedroom machine with swappable drive caddy has main OS various flavours, various sizes, and 3 x 2Tb HDDs for Storage; Music/Films and Games.

Ah ha I forgot you used those. I would have too but at the time I was building I could not afford the outlay. So I have ended up with a dual dock and loads of plastic drive cases. :cool:

Reaction score
Are you asking backup program recommendations? Or, you are just curious as to how they are doing with theirs ha ha ha, kidding! Anyhow, since mine is windows, the said program that i use EaseUS Todo Backup. As ever, what I like most about it is that it has a free version. Apart from that, i love how it is a full, incremental, differential, schedule backup way supported. It saves all of your files in less than 5 minutes. Since I did not experience such technical difficulties, I then finally decided to upgrade into using a premium version (only worth US$29.95).

Ask a Question