xp freeze after installation

Reaction score
i have just built my new pc and installed windows xp on the welcome screen it freezes as soon as u move mouse i have tried to install the drivers for motherboard on cd but that freezes about half way through tried it on safe mode but that does not work either does say cmos memory size wrong but cannot seem to get the right size for it have tried to change settings on bios screen but same problem can anyone help

Reaction score
Start again.

Boot the PC and enter BIOS depending on MOBO. Do not install any drivers until windows are set up.

• Set the time and date
  • Set first boot from CD-rom or DVD rom disable all the other boot devices.
  • Press F10 to save your settings now insert the XP disc
  • Let it gather required information then it will ask to agree to terms F8 if that takes a long time to appear then it is a possible problem with the MOBO.
I will remain online to help.

Reaction score
Setting up your Operating System on a new and/or upgrade PC from the point of having fully installed the components and they are functioning correctly.

• Start the computer and enter BIOS
  • Set date and time [this is important if you have upgraded your PC and also used the OS disk before].
  • Now set your boot formation as follows 1st boot CD ROM or DVD
  • Disable ALL the other boot devices.
  • Press F10 to save your settings in BIOS.
  • Insert your OS disk
  • Install and follow the instructions setting you desired preferences, authentic windows key/language/country Etc:
  • Upon completion of the set up restart the PC.
  • Now install the required drivers sound/LAN/Etc:
Happy computing

Reaction score
i done it all in the order supplied i also formated hard drive installed it all mouse and system fine during installation but after it booted xp moved the mouse and it all froze again

Reaction score
Have you anything magnetic close to the PC? Table lamp or similar

Is your mouse wired or wireless?

If it is wired is it P2 or USB?

Reaction score
After installation of XP did you re-enter BIOS to set it to 1st boot HDD 2nd CD –ROM 3rd whatever and enable other boot devices.

Reaction score
newcomer fugazi said:
i have just built my new pc and installed windows xp on the welcome screen it freezes as soon as u move mouse i have tried to install the drivers for motherboard on cd but that freezes about half way through tried it on safe mode but that does not work either does say cmos memory size wrong but cannot seem to get the right size for it have tried to change settings on bios screen but same problem can anyone help

I had that problem once, but it froze as soon as you touched the keyboard not the mouse.

Try replacing both these things.

Reaction score
Boot pc into safe mode..... still freezing?

Are you loading from a cd??? It could have a scratch, bad image. Also, onboard recovery are known to be faulty(basically if windows goes bad w/out virus, spyware problem; usually means corrupt image, and same could be true from onboard recovert. Make sure no devices expet keyboard, mouse and monitor are hooked up whenever you preform a reinstalation. I know for a fact that if a printer is hooked up it will mess up everything. Remove any add on cards besides video ( wireless network card etc..) Try another reinstall, used advanced options and preform full recovery.

Still freezing??
Check memory, unseat, switch slots reseat.
If still having trouble , can you remove hard drive and install it into another system temporarily ? Try installing to that hard drive in the alternate pc. Or install an already images hard drive in this system and see if it boots up.

Why are you reinstalling OS? Did it crash/freeze? Perhaps there is harware damage, bad ram, loose cable, warped processor. Did the system overheat?.... Is it overheating?....

Don't be daunted yet, stay calm, above all be PATIENT!!! Sometimes these things become a pain, but realise... their could be several things affecting this reinstall. Just keep at it. We are always here to help.

Reaction score
Raje

Its a new PC he`s trying to set up XP on, I have a feeling it is possible fault with hardware and/or components.;) mouse keyboard or other.

Reaction score
there is nothing magnetic close by i have wireless mouse usb and wire mouse ps2 does the same with both no cannot put driver for motherboard as it keeps freezing even when i just use keyboard i dont know why there fine when i choose the options during install but crash when finished i can try a different mouse keyboard but how will this help i did install mouse driver in safe mode but keyboard and mouse worked fine in safe mode tried to install motherboard driver safe mode but said no runtime or somthing and when restarted it froze thanks to all of u who are helping me with this project

Reaction score
on the load up black screen with stst spec it finds everything and list it so memory i think is ok am i right if it shows up and says its there does that mean its ok . do u mean i should take hard drive out and install xp on my other pc then when its finished put it back in my new one as hard drive is fine and mouse and keyboard vga card and my xp as i used it to do this pc which is a p900 celleron and it installed and works fine

Reaction score
sorry in safe mode i lokked at hardware devices and it said everything is working properly is there somthing else i can look at to see if theres a problem like registry or somthing under the run command or somthing

Reaction score
This is one of those situations I would like to have the PC in front of me.

What you have said is feasible format the HDD leave it on the other PC > go to the manufacturers site and download a scan for the HDD> run the check and see what happens it will take some time to do, but it will tell you if the HDD is faulty or not.

Ask a Question