pc freezing up

Reaction score
hi,my desktop pc keeps freezing..the pc is a tiny desktop running win m.e. Ive tried taking it back to factory setting using the disc i got with the pc but once it has loaded it seem to freeze almost immediaely...The pc is ok when i go into safe mode...CELERON 900 MHZ
128MB SDRAM
VIA PLE CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD..

the P.S.U. is brand new..so that rules out overheating..i tried to load win xp but once i click to open the software it freezes up....any help would be greatly appreciated...theted.....

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If I remember right then if it starts in safe mode it could be software related or a nasty . Have you tried to do a virus check whilst it is in safe mode ?

user.gif

Reaction score
hi,yes i run my antivirus software and it never picked anything up...i also tried highjack this..is there anyway that i can load win xp in safe mode?...kind regard's theted:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You are pushing it trying to load XP on such an old PC.

:user:

Reaction score
aye it's about 8 year's old...i'll keep win m.e. installed as there is only 20g on the h.d....have u any idea how to solve this problem muckshifter...kind regard's theted

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
theted said:
the cpu is brand new..so that rules out overheating..

Oh no it doesn't.

Sorry, but if the cooler isn't fitted correctly it could overheat. A CPU's age has no bearing on it's temperature.

As for the freezing problem, that could be any of half a dozen issues.

If you have a copy of Win 98 install that rather than ME, it's more stable.

It could be your memory - run memtest.

It could be your: Hard Disk; Overheating; Power Supply; Motherboard.

I'd gamble on memory or hard disk (or Win ME).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
theted said:
aye it's about 8 year's old...i'll keep win m.e. installed as there is only 20g on the h.d....have u any idea how to solve this problem muckshifter...kind regard's theted
Not really, as stated before, if it can start in safe mode then the 'problem' is usually software/drivers.

Why was the CPU changed? Did you set it up correctly in the BIOS? is the HSF fitted correctly?

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Not really, as stated before, if it can start in safe mode then the 'problem' is usually software/drivers.

Why was the CPU changed? Did you set it up correctly in the BIOS? is the HSF fitted correctly?

user.gif
...hi muckshifter,i t was the psu that i replaced:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I hate acronyms ... :rolleyes:

Need new glasses. ;)

:wave:

No you don't the original post has been edited (see my post # 7 for original transcript).

Which makes you and I look a tad foolish.

theted - instead of editing it and making a nonsense of the thread, just correct yourself in another post - it's not that important.

And as you've decided to change the goalposts - I can't be bothered with this thread anymore.

Memo to myself: Ask Ian to change the time limit that users can edit posts.......

Ask a Question