XP Firewall

G

I have enabled the XP Firewall, and I have noticed that there were two ports enable that I am not familiar with. I decided to uncheck the boxes to disable access, but when I went back to examine them they were re-enabled. I then recorded the ports for future reference in case I needed to reinstate them, and deleted both entries: UDP 10080, and TCP 16013, both allowing access to and from 192.168.1.100 and using a prefix of msmsgs and the port number. I restarted the computer, rechecked, and the two items had been reinserted with the same IP 192.168.1.100, but with new ports: 8145 and 8607. At this point I am fairly sure this is not legitimate access and due to a virus.
Does anyone have any confirmable information as to how to disable this, or is this a legitimate use by my system?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please visit the Firewall experts in the Firewall newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I have enabled the XP Firewall, and I have noticed that there were two ports enable that I am not familiar
with. I decided to uncheck the boxes to disable access, but when I went back to examine them they were
re-enabled. I then recorded the ports for future reference in case I needed to reinstate them, and deleted
both entries: UDP 10080, and TCP 16013, both allowing access to and from 192.168.1.100 and using a prefix of
msmsgs and the port number. I restarted the computer, rechecked, and the two items had been reinserted with
the same IP 192.168.1.100, but with new ports: 8145 and 8607. At this point I am fairly sure this is not
legitimate access and due to a virus.
| Does anyone have any confirmable information as to how to disable this, or is this a legitimate use by my
system?

Ask a Question