XP back to Win 2000?

Reaction score
Hi all - I know this might sound strange to some of you but I want to change my OS from XP to Win 2000 Pro. I was all set to go when I put the 2000 CD in but then got the message that it was an older version than what I was already using and it wouldn't allow me to go any further. I'm not very experienced with anything too complicated but I guess, if I want to go ahead with this, I'll have to format my hard drive another way to get rid of XP?

If it is too complicated, I guess I'll take it to a shop but thought this was a good time to add to my learning curve. Any tips from anyone of the next step?

Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, most of us will deem that a 'strange' request. I would like to ask why anyway? What's the spec' of the PC? :confused:

Here is a simpler suggestion: Keep XP but use the classic desktop, switch the control panel to classic view. Go into system properties/Advanced/Performance/settings and adjust for best performance. You can use the custom option here if you prefer. This will give you a PC that looks mostly like 2000 but performs better, and is more reliable. ;)

But if you insist ... go into your BIOS and set it to "boot" to CDROM, insert the Win2000 CD and follow the instructions. You will loose everything and will need to insure you have all the correct drivers for 2000, assuming they will be supported that is.

Win 2000 is now 40 years old in technology terms.

:D

Reaction score
2000 and XP are both based on the same thingy and that is why you see install programs that are either for "98/ME" or "2000/XP"

They are both good operating systems and XP, pretty much, is just a better version of 2000.

I would reccomend doing as Mucks says and keeping XP as it is much more widely supported with updates etc. Uness Windows product activation be your problem...

Ask a Question