Xbox Live unable to connect through University's Network

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if there was any way I could connect to xbox live using my university's network.

When I run an xbox live setup test the MTU fails to connect, is there any way around this?

Every time I want to use the internet to browse the net on my pc, I have to authenticate with a user name and password. I cant do this when I am on the xbox.

When searching for ideas, the term 'bridging' has come up a lot, sadly I do not have a clue how to connect through bridging, so if anyone could explain to me the process I would be a happy bunny!

Any other ideas would be welcome!

This quote seems to be helpful, I can't really make much sense out of it though:
"I was using a desktop PC in my dorm room and we had a specific website that we went to to enter a username and password for the Campus network. This would allow us access to the network for a 2 hour period. Basically I put a second network card in my PC and set up a bridge between the two cards so that the second network card would simply pass all it's traffic to the first one. I would then authenticate for network access like normal and then boot up my xbox and connect it to the second network card with a crossover cable (a regular network cable can be used with the 360). "

Thanks a lot people, I hope you can get me connected!!!

GMAN

p.s. because I cant really install a second network card into my laptop, would a router suffice?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a xbox live update or maintenance today?

I wish I could help you out by connecting myself but I've got my xbox away from ethernet port.

Reaction score
Oh **** I just read your post again is there a chance your university has blocked the port the thing runs on?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think a router would work if it uses web based authentication - you'd need to get a PCMCIA or USB network adaptor to bridge the xbox with your laptop (unless the xbox can use wireless networking and your laptop can already do this).

Reaction score
At my university halls, it only has a wired connection. When I plug the connection directly into my xbox it fails to find the 'MTU' when I run a set up test, after a quick Google I think a MTU is a bandwidth setting.

It may not be able to connect because I need to log in whenever using the internet on my laptop (it logs in for 2 hours or so)

I'm not sure whether or not I can bypass the MTU, maybe with a program I can run on my laptop. I need to do a little bit more testing.

This is a website I found, I can't really make much sense out of it. But i'll link it anyways http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15032453&highlight=xbox+live#post15032453

Another alternative somebody mentioned to me, was setting up a virtual network. Basically using my parents internet in Hertfordshire to play Xbox live :p. Would this be hard to set up?

I can't play online games on my laptop (COD4, World of Warcaft) so it must be some sort of firewall blocking certain ports, this may be why Live doesn't work.

Any suggestions are welcome! Keep em coming :D

Reaction score
Here's an easy answer..Go ask the Uni IT staff why you can't connect..I think you'll find their answer very informative...

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious.

Im asking on here because I want to see if their is a way to bypass to firewall or whatever it is that is preventing me from logging on.

I know there is a way because even the IT technician told me I need to link something with my laptop I just dont know what.

Unless you have something worth saying, dont say it at all

Reaction score
lol well like he says beware of that muppet he uses a lot of sarcasm......

You should go back to the IT geezer and ask him, you need a bridge between the two devices. :)

If worse comes to worse give Microsoft a call themselves but make that a last resort. You'll get through to some call centre in Mumbai need I say more. :)

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Unless you have something worth saying, dont say it at all

Keep yer knickers on matey..In simple, No you cannot bypass the MTU...Network admins at UNI's and often various workplaces sometimes setup networks to have a very low MTU..And the reason for doing this is to stop people say for instance in your case playing xBox..You and 3 of your mates connected to th UNI network playing COD4 will probaly use the same amount of bandwidth as 50 people checking their e-mails..Or god forbid doing research on course work..

And even if I have nothing useful to say I will say it...lol

Reaction score
You had something useful to say, yet you chose not to. Thanks for that though, appreciate the info.

Is there any good excuse I can make up to try and cheekily get them to raise the MTU setting. I'm not that fussed about this xbox live malark, would be fun to own a few friends back at home rather than me flat mates :p

Reaction score
G~MAN said:

Is there any good excuse I can make up to try and cheekily get them to raise the MTU setting. :p

Not really mate..They set these things to stop network badwidth beed crippled..Stick with me though, i'm just trying to get info out of a mate about running xBox through your laptop...i'll post back when I know more..

Reaction score
Try this:

Note - For PPoE, settings must be altered on the XBox 360 also. On the XBox dashboard go to the System blade. Select Network Settings and then Edit Settings. Press right on the control stick to go to the Other Settings pane. Select PPoE settings. Alter the username, password and service name (ISP) settings.

obv uni username and password

not so sure about service name.....

Ask a Question