Windows 7 x86 software in x64 Win 7

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading from Win XP Pro to Win 7 (x64) mainly because when I'm using Cakewalk Sonar recording software with a few effects open and try to export to a stereo .Wav file, I very often get a pop up saying there's not enough memory to accomplish the task. I have 4GB installed. I also experience a really noticeable slowing down in Photoshop CS4 when opening the Styles menu.
Knowing that I can increase the memory to 8GB and more with Win 7 (x64), I thought this might overcome my problems. Can I please ask:

1. Will upgrading to Win 7 (x64) overcome my memory problem?
2. Can I still use x86 software ,(ie. Sonar, Photoshop, In-Design, Soundforge, Autocad), with Win 7 (x64), and if so, would I be able to take advantage of the additional memory, or does that only apply to x64 software? (To upgrade all my software to x64 would prove too costly in one go).
3. Is Win 7 (x64) now as stable as Win XP is reckoned to be?

Thanks
Mike

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
1. Will upgrading to Win 7 (x64) overcome my memory problem?
the limit in Win7 Home Premium 64bit is, 16GB ... 192GB in Win7 Pro

2. Can I still use x86 software ,(ie. Sonar, Photoshop, In-Design, Soundforge, Autocad), with Win 7 (x64), and if so, would I be able to take advantage of the additional memory, or does that only apply to x64 software? (To upgrade all my software to x64 would prove too costly in one go).
You'd better ask the manufacture/software producer if they will work fine or not in Win7 64bit ... memory should not be an issue if you have up to 16GB

3. Is Win 7 (x64) now as stable as Win XP is reckoned to be?
Win7 was never unstable, it's mother Vista, was.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. It's Win 7 Pro I'm thinking or upgrading to, so as much memory as my motherboard will take then!
Mike

Ask a Question