Windows 7 Pre Win 7 software

Reaction score
Hope I'm not repeating any previous query - I did check via search.
Can someone please advise me as to the following:
Can 32-bit software run on Win 7 64-bit?
Would pre-Win 7 software would generally work with Win 7?
Software I'm talking about is Soundforge 9, Sonar 6 Producer, Autocad 2006, Photoshop CS 3, ConvertX 4 and TMPGEnc DVD Authoring.
Sorry if it's obvious to most of you, but I'm still learning.
Thanks,
Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Yes, 32-bit software will run on Windows 7 x64 without a problem :). I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I'm running all of the same applications I did under Windows Vista/XP 32-bit.

The main difference is that you can also run 64-bit applications and that you'll need to use 64-bit drivers for your hardware (this shouldn't be a problem, as if your PC is x64 capable then it should be reasonably modern hardware with drivers available).

Reaction score
Thanks for sorting things, and thanks for reply.
I'm building a new PC and have been repeatedly advised by colleagues fore-go XP and to use Win 7, and now I know that I can re-install my old software I think I'll be quite happy.
Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'd strongly agree with your colleagues and go for Windows 7 - XP still has some life left in it for older PCs, but for a new PC it just wouldn't make sense to use (it wouldn't be able to take full advantage of your system for a start).

At first I was a little unsure about Windows 7 (mainly due to the new taskbar), but after a few weeks of it I wouldn't go back to using XP/Vista. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add that imo Win 7 is the best OS MS has trotted out so far.

This judgement based on XP being just too old fashioned to be a contender now.

Ask a Question