Windows 7 Older games that work in Win 7

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Straight out of the box without having to change compatibility mode or edit folder script.

Thought I'd start this thread as I was quite surprised when these worked in Win 7. Not many here (as at 8th August 2011) but if you add your successes in further posts I'll add them to this first post of the thread.

You can also list older games that positively will not work and hopefully the two lists will be helpful to people.

Ok, these work:

American McGee's Alice (2000)
Hit Man 2 (2002)
Hydro Thunder (1999)
Call Of Duty 2 (2005) (Apply patches 1.2 & 1.3)
Syberia (2002)
Syberia II (2004)
Painkiller (2004)
Painkiller Battle Out Of Hell (Expansion pack) (2004)
Planescape Torment (1999)
Diablo II (2000)
Diablo II Expansion Pack: Lord Of Destruction (2001)
The Sims One & all expansion packs (2000)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (2004) (Apply patch(es) for 64 Bit OS)
Unreal Anthology (Unreal; Unreal II; Unreal Tournament GOTY; Unreal Tournament 2004)
The Simpsons Hit & Run (2004)
Dungeon Siege/Legends Of Aranna (2003)
Dungeon Siege II/Broken World (2005/2006)
Max Payne 2 (2003)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links:

Hydro Thunder
American McGee's Alice
Hitman 2
Call Of Duty 2
Unreal Anthology
Simpsons Hit & Run

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Syberia and Syberia 2 both work fine.

The game uses elements of art nouveau and steampunk fiction in its story. Most devices and tools, and even a train, are powered by springs and wind-up gears. Syberia was acclaimed by critics for its graphic design and intelligent script, and a sequel, Syberia II, was released in 2004, picking up where the first game leaves off. In 2009 Microïds announced that Syberia III would be released on PC, and possibly PlayStation 3, in 2010 or 2011.

Painkiller Black Edition works up to the Fairground Ride, can't say about further on as I'm stuck on the roller-coaster. :lol:

Painkiller v1.3 to v1.3.1 Patch

Painkiller v1.3.5 Patch

Painkiller v1.61 update
Painkiller v1.62 Update

Painkiller v1.64 Update

Painkiller is a first-person shooter video game released on April 12, 2004. It was published by DreamCatcher Interactive and developed by Polish game studio People Can Fly. It attempts to replicate the "old-school FPS" gameplay of Doom and Quake. It has 24 levels of seemingly unconnected designs that include medieval castles, factories and lunatic asylums. Five of the levels are "boss levels" with some of the largest FPS bosses to date. The game takes place in Purgatory and Hell. It is notable for using the Havok 2.0 physics engine extensively.
:thumb:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Ababrb, added those.

I have Painkiller Universe which features the original game and the expansion pack Battle Out Of Hell. It also includes 'Overdose' which works in Win 7 but as it was released in 2007 I wouldn't consider it an old game. There's also another Painkiller episode I don't have 'Resurrection'.

And available now on Steam is yet another episode 'Redemption' which is cheap (about £3.50) but not really very adventurous, just shooting hundreds of monsters. Unless you're into repetitive mindless fps killing I'd avoid Redemption.

I've completed all the four Painkiller games I have, albeit on easy setting.

Syberia One was great, I enjoyed that a lot. I haven't played Syberia Two yet but I do read it's a tad repetitive and not as good as the first one. One day I shall try it and see.

Just by way of mentioning I was playing Dead Space 1 but get stuck on the very last part of final boss so have given up and started Dead Space 2 which is also very good. So far up to Chapter Six of 24 Chapters.

Other game taking my time up is The Witcher One (Enhanced Edition). Currently keep getting killed at end of level One, the boss Hellhound, will have to revise strategy but so far it's been a very enjoyable game.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I spent nearly an hour looking through walkthroughs for the part of Painkiller where I am stuck, couldn't find it. Then I realised that I had finished the game and was halfway through Battle Out Of Hell. So I loaded the game to see if I could get past the stuck point. Oooops looks like I got peed of with the game and deleted everything some time ago. Drat.:D I won't be having another go at it as you have to complete the game to unlock the expansion pack and it would be too much of a slog. Did enjoy the game though and I have Overdose to look forward to.

I'm busy in Rapture at the moment having great fun with plasmids and u-invent etc looks great no me big screen with everything gfx maxed out.When I finish I'm going to have me a Crysis. :lol:

Syberia 2 could be a little samey if you play it straight after Syberia but I left it a few months and thought it was a pretty darn good sequel. Still a great series to play even after all this time, graphics are very nice indeed and Oscar is a star.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On your advice, hairy barbaric viking-type mutton-chewing one, I will have a pop at Syberia 2.

Both Bioshocks are, imo, superb games, have played both through twice.

When the price is right treat yourself to Bulletstorm, you'll like that.

Overdose was good, more of the same, but good.

Have added a few:

Sims One & all expansion packs. This one for my daughters only, I never could understand the appeal of the Sims.

Planescape Torment - I liked this at the time but does seem a little slow and dated now.

Diablo II & Expansion pack. Good game(s) if you like that sort of thing but graphics now look terribly dated.

I'm actually surprised at how good Win 7 is at playing older games compared to both XP and Vista.

I'll keep trying other titles and report back.

Reaction score
Please add Unreal Tournament 2004 to the list of games successfully played on Windows 7.

Stoneboysteve

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Please add Unreal Tournament 2004 to the list of games successfully played on Windows 7.

Stoneboysteve

Done - thanks.

Around two years ago a budget version of an Unreal multipack was released which had been patched to play in Win 7 (it says XP only on the case but it plays fine in Win 7 64 Bit) and included the Original Unreal; Unreal II The Awakening; Unreal Tournament GOTY and Unreal Tournament 2004. It was named The Unreal Anthology.

I've played the two single player games through recently and it's well worth the money. I used to play UT2004 online a lot but haven't recently. If you do decide to play UT2004 online be aware you'll have to download and install numerous extra maps and possibly some mods.

Link

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Added Simpsons Hit and Run to list. This game runs remarkably well in Win 7 64 Bit and the graphics can be set fairly high, I have it running at 1280 x 1024 for starters and it will probably go higher.

You can also program the Xbox controller buttons and joysticks and driving is very good.

I never did play this much first time around but am quite enjoying it now, makes a pleasant change.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Added Dungeon Siege/Legends Of Aranna, this is the 3 CD package that had both games on it released in 2003 although the original game was released in 2002.

And Dungeon Siege II/Broken World.

I originally completed about half of the first Dungeon Siege, it is very playable, will now attempt, probably slowly, to complete it. Have never really played DS2 but it does look like it's very Americanised with a Boot Camp training feel to the opening scenes, doesn't have that sort of medieval feel that DS1 has.

A note about Simpsons Hit & Run: It takes an age to load, especially the first time, you may think the game has stalled but it will load eventually. It's a flawed game, slightly, with some camera angles meaning it's hard to get to some locations, such as bonus cards. But mostly it's ok. I haven't checked for patches yet.

Ask a Question