wizkids' Crunching Thread

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
No, the main reason is to crunch tasks to help cure disease.

But it does put the CPU under 100% load, and some people use it to stress-test systems.

But that is not it's purpose by far.

Reaction score
Hi,

The time for comlpation keeps going up and not down is this normal??

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok - I've had a look at your WCG settings/Device Profiles and also Results Status for the work units:

1204973958.jpg

You are showing all of them still 'in progress' with none yet completed/errored/invalid.......and as you have been cruching them on these 2 PC's since 5th March that is not normal - assuming you are running them for at least a few hours each day then at least one should have completed by now.

The time for completion could be going up if you are shutting down Boinc and the work units are going back to the start each time, or to the last checkpoint and never given the time to move on to the next. How are you running BOINC on each PC, is it all day 24/7? or are you stopping BOINC from running every now and then or shutting the PC's down?

For each PC, ie. 'BuildPC' and 'ChrisPC' can you please list what Operating System is on each and how much time per day you have BOINC running, and also can you post a screeny of the BOINC 'Tasks' screen for each PC whilst units are running.

Reaction score
Hi,

I use BOINC for a few hours each day. I dont uese it all the time and I sometimes close BONIC down and start it up again could this be causing this problem? Is there any way that I can get BOINC to save the procees of where its got to?

Please find screenshot of Bulit PC thats the only one that I have access to at the moment.

Chris-PC has Windows Vista Home Premuim,

Bulit PC has Windows XP Home.

Edit I think that I have found the problem each time I click update my porject I get this error communication deferred. See attached file.

wizkid

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    45.8 KB · Views: 135
  • untitled 3.GIF
    untitled 3.GIF
    39.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
'Communication Deferred' isn't an error as such, it just means its going to communicate later....however I would like you to go to the 'messages' tab after clicking update and post a screeny of what it shows.

Looking at the work units running in the first pic, they look fine - I just think you aren't running BOINC long enough, is there any reason why you can't leave it running whilst using the PC?

Reaction score
Hi,

The reason I close BONIC sometimes is because I play games and I dont know if its a good idea to have them both running at the same time?

Please see screen messages attached.

wiz

Attachments

• untitled 5.GIF
    untitled 5.GIF
    57.2 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
wizkid.........instead of closing boinc just open it up and hit the suspend button........then resume at your leisure.

Edit: The screenie is fine.........it checked in, saw you have enough work for now so didn't send more yet.

Reaction score
Hi,

If I click on suspend and close down BONIC and the computer is there any way that I can get BONIC to start from where it was or do I need to start the taks again?

Can you please let me know,

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
It should pick up more or less where you left off.
The work has "save points" every so often.....all you will lose is any part of the unit processed between save ponts.

No major loss.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

If I click on suspend and close down BONIC and the computer is there any way that I can get BONIC to start from where it was or do I need to start the taks again?

Can you please let me know,

Thanks,

wizkid
When you say you 'close down Boinc' after suspending - are you saying after suspending you actually exit it completely, or just reduce it back to the system tray?

Once suspended you don't need to exit completely, the work still stops and when you want to start again just click 'resume'. If however you have exited Boinc completely you will still need to 'resume' when you start Boinc again as it will still be in the suspend state.

Reaction score
Hi.

Just a quick qustion.

When I have completed a task on one computer do I need to the same task on the other computers or will the computer find out from my account what tasks I have already done?

Can you please let me know.

Thanks

wiz

Reaction score
All work units are issued more than once to validate the results......but you are very unlikely to get the same unit twice yourself.

Reaction score
Can you pleas let me know a good temp progarm that works with Vista to show CPU temps I have tried Core Temp but it did not work.

I am just about to install BOINC on Vista pc now. So I need a program that monitors CPU temps.

Thanks,

wiz

Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Temps are around 55c is this normal will I still be ok to play games and run BONIC at the same time without pc overheating??

Could you please let me know,

Regards,

wiz

Ask a Question