wizkids' Crunching Thread

Reaction score
Hi Ady,

Thats fine then.

Do I need to run the software to become a Cruncher? also what do Crunchers do? will it be doing things for pc review.

I will register soon.

wiz

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep you need to download and run the BOINC software I pointed to in my opening post (OP) - it then 'crunches' or processes workunits that are sent to your machine, and when they are completed the software sends them back, then downloads and starts to crunch new ones.

These work units are analysed by the researchers and contribute to the research for the various diseases as I explained in my OP. You get 'points' awarded to you for every work unit you crunch which benefits the PC Review team in competition against other teams.

Follow the links in my OP, and if you have further queries then start a new thread in Crunchers Corner and I and others will help you
nod.gif

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for posting in this post again.

Just one last qustion is this software safe to use? Also when I enter a user name do I enter the same user name that I have at the moment or can it be any name?

Thanks,

wizkid

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wizkid, we all use the WCG software and don't have problems with it :) Once it's installed then it pretty much runs itself :thumb:

Reaction score
It's fine wizkid.

I've been running various projects for 4 years and have never had a single security issue. :)
So many people participate in these things if anything ever went awry the alarm bells would ring very quickly.

And the distributed computing "grapevine" is very efficient
nod.gif

Reaction score
Sorry to get posting in this post.

I would just like to find out how this software works??

Regards,

wiz

Reaction score
Hi wizkid....

Yep the wiki should tell you pretty much everything.

Once you are up and running it pretty much is transparent in that it does everything itself.
Also note,if you are planning to run this a solid reliable power supply is a MUST!!!:)

Reaction score
Hi

I have registerd at WCG and downloaded BONIC it donwload the updates and now I seem to get pictures flshing up in BONIC is this normal.

Reaction score
Pictures?

You mean the graphics for the projects?

Ah just had a look........in "simple view" mode (which I never use) it shows various images from the project.
If that's what you mean it's fine :)

If it annoys you and you are in "simple view" then just click on the "advanced view" link on bottom right.
Advanced view gives more detail and such.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
get to the pics wizkid..press Ctrl+Prt Scrn then paste in word or wordpad and let us have a look m8 :)

Reaction score
Rush said:
get to the pics wizkid..press Ctrl+Prt Scrn then paste in word or wordpad and let us have a look m8 :)

It's not pr0n ya know
laughingsmiley.gif

Yes, you can minimise it and let it work away.
There are various config options but we can address them later.

Just fire away when you have questions.

Is the rig always online?

Reaction score
Wizkid........don't forget to click the link in my sig, then click the join this team link.
You will then be added to the PC Review Crew II team.:)

(Not sure if you have to register for the WCG forum to do that or not---been so long since I did it)

Reaction score
I've added to it so I should appaer on tommoorws WCG?

Do I just leave the software or do I need to do thiings in the software to get points on my account? the systems is online all the time.

wiz

Reaction score
I see you.......your name is already on the team list now.........welcome :)
You shouldn't have to intevene if the machine is always online.

Occasionally after you have finished some "work units" the software should automatically send the results to the server and send you some new work.

If results don't automatically send just highlight the project name and hit the "update" link, after a while you will start to see your score :)

Reaction score
How do I start a new project sorry for posting shuch simple qustions but I dont know as i'm new to it??

Reaction score
Fistly, what is it doing right now?
If you are already running WCG then you don't have to do anything.

Unless there are specific projects within WCG you would rather work on.

Ask a Question