Wireless Security

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just been on my laptop and clicked on "available networks"... there are currently 4 open access points which provide internet access :rolleyes:

Just a reminder to anyone reading this to make sure your router is set up to use MAC address filtering or at least some form of WPA/WEP security :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Good advice Ian - it never ceases to amaze me how many unprotected wireless networks there are around, good job I'm honest!;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
028.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now I couldn't do that, althought I would like to ;)

Reaction score
Ours is unsecured... we live in the middle of no-where pretty much so for someone to hack into ours you would have to be sitting on the drive. Signal is almost unusable in the back garden... Theres no point in securing them here. We get on with the neighbours too.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
theres 3 that you can pick up at our school, ones the school network which is secure the other two are from nearby houses which are unsecured, the strange thing is that the nearest houses from where they can be picked up are about 125m, i didn't think you could get routers that could transmit that far and still get near full signal strength!?

Reaction score
It probably could, might be a new Belkin Pre-N WiFi Access Point or something, the range on them is amazing, i installed one a few weeks ago at brother's mates house.

I could still pick up the network a good hundred or so metres away on my iPAQ while watching their Firework Display in the garden (their garden is huge...).

My network is Secured here, mainly because i live in 'chav-land' used to be a nice village but now is full of Chav's and i don't trust Chav's, i'm sure they'd soon figure out how to get free internet from WiFi ;)

I do however have another Wireless Network on my list, one bar signal, and as of yet haven't found out yet if it's got internet, it's unsecured though :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
those are a bit new, people have been using it for about 18 months to download music and other 'things' off P2P programs ;)

Ask a Question