WiFi Connect

BeeJ

HP ZT1000 laptop.
Reinstalled Win XP Home from original disk.
It all came up but I am unable to get the WiFi to work.

1) Refresh networks only shows one WiFi but the name shows as
[][][][][]
It does ask for a password but will not take it.

2) the little lighted blue button on the left side is lit but won't
turn WiFi on and off as far as I can tell.

3) during setup is asked id i wanted WPA. I tried that and it said
that the adapter only took WEP so I left it WEP.
I have a new Amped R200000G WiFi router that all other laptops are
connect to just fine. Does the HP WEP limitation mean it won't connect
or see this router?

4) it looks like the laptop has 500M RAM. can there be anything
problematic related to WiFi here?

5) plugging in my LAN ethernet cable give me full LAN / Internet
access.

A) can someone point me to a link that might help me get WiFi this
going?
B) any other suggestions welcome.

I the laptop and battery are still good so I want to put this laptop
into use. It seems to perform well even though it is ancient.

Paul

BeeJ said:
[...]

I don't recognize that much in the driver. There is one
mention in the driver of Intersil Prism, but it's hard to
be sure that's what you've got.

1260 Intersil Corporation
3873 ISL3874 [Prism 2.5]/ISL3872 [Prism 3]
10cf 1169 MBH7WM01-8734 802.11b Wireless Mini PCI Card [ISL3874]
1186 3501 DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter (rev A or B) [ISL3874]
1186 3700 DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter (rev E1) [ISL3872]
1385 4105 MA311 802.11b wireless adapter [ISL3874]
1668 0414 HWP01170-01 802.11b PCI Wireless Adapter
16a5 1601 AIR.mate PC-400 PCI Wireless LAN Adapter
1737 3874 WMP11 v1 802.11b Wireless-B PCI Adapter [ISL3874]
4033 7033 PCW200 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter [ISL3874]
8086 2510 M3AWEB Wireless 802.11b MiniPCI Adapter
8086 2513 Wireless 802.11b MiniPCI Adapter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(chipset)

"Intersil firmware

* WEP
* WPA (TKIP), after update
* WPA2 (CCMP), after update
"

That implies, perhaps you should be looking for a driver, later
than the 2002 one offered by HP. Does Windows Update offer anything,
in the hardware update section ? (Don't grab that yet, just look
for pointers.)

Have fun,
Paul

BeeJ

Paul submitted this idea :
BeeJ said:
[...]

Just now figured out how to get to the proper HP download point.
There is a vast array of ZT1000 laptops.
Turns out after much searching I have a ZT1190.
I found instructions on the HP site how to discover my exact model but
that was not a valid method for mine.
It is on the face of the laptop but in dim light I could not see it.
Anyway ... I have downloaded the drivers and updates but have not yet
installed anything.
There is an ethernet drive update.

Ben Myers

BeeJ said:
HP ZT1000 laptop.
Reinstalled Win XP Home from original disk.
It all came up but I am unable to get the WiFi to work.
<snip>

Support for WPA was added after the original release of Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft offers the download as a separate component,
which means you must download it somewhere else or use Windows Update. If you
can't get Windows Update to work, try downloading and running the stand-alone
updater.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

Ben

Motor T

<snip>

Support for WPA was added after the original release of Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft offers the download as a separate component,
which means you must download it somewhere else or use Windows Update. If you
can't get Windows Update to work, try downloading and running the stand-alone
updater.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

Ben

This answer is a perfect example of why I love newsgroups. Having so
many selfless people helping others with problems. In following this
thread the 'support for WPA added after the original release' reply
probably would never have entered my mind. Thanks Ben.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, BeeJ <[email protected]>
writes:
[]
Just now figured out how to get to the proper HP download point.
There is a vast array of ZT1000 laptops.
Turns out after much searching I have a ZT1190.
I found instructions on the HP site how to discover my exact model but
that was not a valid method for mine.

Belarc Advisor may tell you what motherboard you've got.
It is on the face of the laptop but in dim light I could not see it.
Anyway ... I have downloaded the drivers and updates but have not yet
installed anything.
There is an ethernet drive update.
That would be for the wired ethernet interface, not wifi, I think.

BeeJ

So I figured out where to find the HP drivers for my ZT1190 and
downloaded them.
Drivers for LAN, display and modem. all installed fine.

Now I actually see the WiFis in the area including mine.
BUT I cannot connect. It asked for a "certificate". What is this?

I fiddled with some setting under advanced and was finally able to get
the "enter network key" dialog to come up BUT upon entering the correct
key for my router I got a message that I could only enter one of two
different fixed length keys. Is this WEP ? Does a new router have a
way to work with this? I have a Amped R20000G WiFi router that plays
with all my other stuff just fine.

Is there some place where I can get some WPA support?
If it wasn't for the fact that the laptop is working great, other than
this, I wouldn't bother.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, BeeJ <[email protected]>
writes:
[]
key for my router I got a message that I could only enter one of two
different fixed length keys. Is this WEP ? Does a new router have a
way to work with this? I have a Amped R20000G WiFi router that plays
with all my other stuff just fine.

I'd be slightly surprised if any router doesn't have the capability to
work with the old WEP protocol - though these days it's probably not
their default, so you'll probably have to go into the router's config.
pages (using a wired connection!) and change it, if you can't get the
laptop to use WPA.

(In theory - and practice, for that matter - WEP is less secure; in
practice, _I_ don't know anyone who has suffered from using WEP. YMMV.)
Is there some place where I can get some WPA support?
If it wasn't for the fact that the laptop is working great, other than
this, I wouldn't bother.
IKWYM; I have an old '98SElite laptop that works fine (via WEP).--

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain, involved in
many kinds of motivation, among other functions. The hypothalamus controls the
"Four F's": fighting, fleeing, feeding, and mating. -Heard in a neuropsychology
classroom

Ben Myers

BeeJ said:
So I figured out where to find the HP drivers for my ZT1190 and
downloaded them.
Drivers for LAN, display and modem. all installed fine.
Now I actually see the WiFis in the area including mine.
BUT I cannot connect. It asked for a "certificate". What is this?
I fiddled with some setting under advanced and was finally able to get
the "enter network key" dialog to come up BUT upon entering the correct
key for my router I got a message that I could only enter one of two
different fixed length keys. Is this WEP ? Does a new router have a
way to work with this? I have a Amped R20000G WiFi router that plays
with all my other stuff just fine.
Is there some place where I can get some WPA support?
If it wasn't for the fact that the laptop is working great, other than
this, I wouldn't bother.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19321

Ben

BeeJ

Got it working. Thanks all for the inputs.

Here is what I figured out.
First, my HP ZT1190 is not capable of interfacing with WPA but only
WEP.
I did load all the latest HP drivers and went to the LAN Express site
and got there latest. Installed all and had to redo the wireless
setup.

Then I went to my router, Amped R20000G and discovered that it actually
supports Guests.
So I enabled one of four Guests and guess what? A guest can be any
security you want. So I selected WEP and set in a 13 character
password and rebooted the router.

I went back to my laptop and it took a little reconfiguring of the
settings (I guessed) and then went to the wireless access window and
there it was - Guest. So I clicked connect and it asked for a
password. I entered it and WOW it connected. I then downloaded Pale
Moon and Opera browsers and installed both. But wait, Pale Moon said
my hardware was too old and refused to run. So I uninstalled Pale
Moon. Opera runs fine. Fire Fox also runs fine. IE runs too. Read
the news.

Hooray!

Now I am going to my local computer store and see if I can get more
RAM.
Another hassle no doubt.

Paul

BeeJ said:
[...]

According to this, it can take 2 x 512 PC133 SDRAM in SODIMM format.
I don't think the Crucial and Kingston search engines list stuff
like this any more. The processor is PentiumIII-M according to
at least one review, but I didn't see a chipset mentioned (using
the chipset info, you can sometimes trace down what a
supported memory configuration would be).

http://www.memoryupgradecompany.com/memory/HPPavilionzt1190MemoryUpgrade.html

As for Pale Moon...

http://www.palemoon.org/

"A processor with SSE2 support (see list of supported processors)"

That could be the reason.

HTH,
Paul

Buffalo

"BeeJ" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

Check E-bay for that ram. I think you can get two 512MB sticks for under
$25.00 US.
Double check on which specific ram your mb uses and the total amt (
capacity ).

BeeJ

Paul has brought this to us :
According to this, it can take 2 x 512 PC133 SDRAM in SODIMM format.
I don't think the Crucial and Kingston search engines list stuff
like this any more. The processor is PentiumIII-M according to
at least one review, but I didn't see a chipset mentioned (using
the chipset info, you can sometimes trace down what a
supported memory configuration would be).

http://www.memoryupgradecompany.com/memory/HPPavilionzt1190MemoryUpgrade.html

As for Pale Moon...

http://www.palemoon.org/

"A processor with SSE2 support (see list of supported processors)"

That could be the reason.

HTH,
Paul

I confirmed that 2 x 512 PC133 SDRAM in SODIMM is correct, max 1G RAM.
But how do I get to the second RAM. One is under a door on the bottom.
Someplace I read the other is under the keyboard but I cannot find a
keyboard release. Do I take all the screws out and hope for the best?

That is the message Pale Moon gives. Got to look up SSE2 for the fun
of it.

BeeJ

Ron Hardin was thinking very hard :
When I set up access points it always asks what
kind of security it should have, and so I suspect
a router can take WEP or WPA but not both.

Intel software doesn't not play well with WEP,
incidentally, though it works for a while. You
get lots of connections hung in FIN_WAIT2 on the
machines it connects to.

The Amped R20000G takes many. After looking over the access webpage to
the router I found that I can set up Guests and each Guest can have
whatever I want to set it to. I am up and running.

The Amped R20000G is a high power output dual band (2G & 5GHz) router.
Got from Microcenter. One laptop uses 5G and the others use 2G.
It covers all areas of my house. Previous routers only covered 15 feet
- junk.

My neighbours router had higher power levels in my house than my router
when standing within 10 feet of mine.

Paul

BeeJ said:
I confirmed that 2 x 512 PC133 SDRAM in SODIMM is correct, max 1G RAM.
But how do I get to the second RAM. One is under a door on the bottom.
Someplace I read the other is under the keyboard but I cannot find a
keyboard release. Do I take all the screws out and hope for the best?

That is the message Pale Moon gives. Got to look up SSE2 for the fun of
it.

Try around page 48 here.

"...Self-Repair Guide"

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpi05729.pdf

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=73255

There is one module on the bottom of the unit, under a removable door.
And one module on top, underneath the keyboard. The keyboard
may use the usual scheme - a trim strip, along the top edge
of the keyboard, that needs to be removed. Then the fasteners for
the keyboard will be visible. I think "real repair techs", use
some kind of plastic tool, to ease out the trim. It's one of
those deals, where you can scratch up the trim piece pretty easily.

Paul

BeeJ

It happens that Paul formulated :
Try around page 48 here.

"...Self-Repair Guide"

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpi05729.pdf

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=73255

There is one module on the bottom of the unit, under a removable door.
And one module on top, underneath the keyboard. The keyboard
may use the usual scheme - a trim strip, along the top edge
of the keyboard, that needs to be removed. Then the fasteners for
the keyboard will be visible. I think "real repair techs", use
some kind of plastic tool, to ease out the trim. It's one of
those deals, where you can scratch up the trim piece pretty easily.

Paul

Yes, I see it all there. The how to. Thank you. I can do it.