Wireless Networking

Reaction score
Hey there!

Im new to the whole wireless networking thing, and am wondering what brand is the most reliable or best to go with. Im currently looking at something from USR which seems pretty good...

USR Wireless Kit

Anyone used this before? Is it any good?

Any recommendations/tips?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Hi from my wireless networking experience i would og with a brand either belkin , linksys or netgear i ahev used equiptment from all of thoe brands and thy all have worked exttremely well.

Reaction score
Choosing is just the start

Hi Mate,
The USR is a good package, and it sometimes pays to use the same branding throughout your infrastructure, as there are compatibility issues with some brands/models working with other brands/models.
(Although I use D-Link & NetGear Products with satisfactory performance).

Wireless Networking can be simple and straight forward or the bane of your life.:wall:
Do some research before you buy.
Different products will suit different requirements.
What range are you looking to cover? That's the first consideration.
Also what is the traffic likely to be? If just email or browsing then you don't need to be so fussy. But if you want to stream media or throw large files around your WirelessLAN, then you need to look at a better performing model; such as a MIMO compliant product - then optimise and tweak the implementation.

Research WLAN Security too. You should aim for WPA1/2 and MAC-Filtering.:user:

Good Luck!:)
Search through this Forum for more specific answers to more specific questions - there's TONS of info available!

But shout if you get stuck!:thumb:
Cheers
Kev

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
Hi Mate,
The USR is a good package, and it sometimes pays to use the same branding throughout your infrastructure, as there are compatibility issues with some brands/models working with other brands/models.
(Although I use D-Link & NetGear Products with satisfactory performance).

Wireless Networking can be simple and straight forward or the bane of your life.:wall:
Do some research before you buy.
Different products will suit different requirements.
What range are you looking to cover? That's the first consideration.
Also what is the traffic likely to be? If just email or browsing then you don't need to be so fussy. But if you want to stream media or throw large files around your WirelessLAN, then you need to look at a better performing model; such as a MIMO compliant product - then optimise and tweak the implementation.

Research WLAN Security too. You should aim for WPA1/2 and MAC-Filtering.:user:

Good Luck!:)
Search through this Forum for more specific answers to more specific questions - there's TONS of info available!

But shout if you get stuck!:thumb:
Cheers
Kev

Post of the day :thumb: everything you need to know ther! great advice

butalso if yo want a long range router you should look at there n routers i think by belkin they will give you the best rage out of the lot

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Wireless Networking can be simple and straight forward or the bane of your life...
nod.gif

Some you win ... some you err, sware a lot. :D

Reaction score
Yeah, ive been searching alot of product reviews and there is nothing out there which seems to be completely reliable, theres always someone having some problem.

I think i may go with this product... it looks pretty good to me. And i think it should be able to handle what i want it to do. Thanks for the advice folks! :D

Reaction score
Hmm... still not too sure.

Basically I wish to connect my two pcs... one is downstairs and one is upstairs... distance isnt too far away though... so i dont think that is a big factor.

I currently have broadband of speeds up to 1mb. And would prefer not to take a hit in download/upload speeds as i have heard that can happen with wireless networking.

I will require two network adaptors either usb or pci... though usb would be easier.

What wireless routers/adaptors would you recommend?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
D-Link DL-524 broadband router will suit you down to the ground and can be had for £39.99 if you look around....Nuff said...

Reaction score
Ok, cool... i shall look into it.

Another question though... from shopping around there seems to be two different types or wireless router.. those for cable and those for adsl (bt line).

I currently have adsl, so will this be fine with the above router?

Ask a Question