wireless internet problems and Norton Internet

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Sierra Aircard 875 with cingular wireless service. I installed the Aircard and software provided by cingular. I could browse the internet with fairly sufficient speed...alot better that my dial up on my PC. Well I decided that since Norton Internet Security worked so well with my PC that I would install it on my laptop. At first everything was OK, but I received a download on New Years Eve from my cingular service provider. Then everything went to heck in a handbasket. I began not being able to obtain an IP address and the network just sat there looking for somewhere to connect. Every once in a while I would get lucky and obtain an IP but then couldn't browse internet. Finally I called Cingular which was a 2hr ordeal. They narrowed down the problem...I appears that the acceleration program and Norton have some time of connection problem. This all occurred with the download on New Year's Eve I was told. Cingular had me configure my firewall to allow the Bytemobil program. This worked very briefly. Now in order to access the internet I have to disable my firewall totally. I have tried numerous times to get either Symantec(Norton) or Sierra Wireless to help but cannot get anything to work. I am not extemely tech savy but have a basic knowledge of computers. This is way out of my league. If anyone can help...feel free to comment. I have talked this over with a tech guy who knows more than I and he has had similar problems with Norton. He suggests uninstalling the Norton altogether. Sorry this is so long winded but I've been beating my head against the wall for some time on this. I am able with Norton Firewall disabled to use the internet but it seems slow and sometime unresponsive when trying to access different pages. I usually have 3 to 5 bars. What do I need to try? Your help is appreciated.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If you disable Norton Firewall AND the Antivirus does every thing work at normal speed?

If this is the case then I would disable Norton totally and try a free AV and Firewall such as AntiVir and Kerio and see if they have any effect - if everything still runs fine then get rid of Norton totally - its not that good anyway and uses alot of your system resources :thumb:

Ask a Question