WIRELESS, Domains, and Network Places

Osvaldo

ONE computer is a Laptop with an ethernet adapter which is used to connect
to my brother in law's office network. This computer has also a NETGEAR
wireless network adapter that my brother in law uses for connecting to the
internet when he's at home.
MY computer is a desktop WIN XP PRO with the same wireless network adapter
which I also use to get Internet Access.

I would like to get both computers share resources WITHOUT modifying making
the laptop lose access to the office network.

I've seen that the laptop is joined to a domain belonging to the company
where my b.i.l works. I can't join my WinXPPro to that domain. I can't
change the laptop to join a workgroup, cause i think it would break the
connection with the company's network.

Sorry if these are silly questions, i just want to learn. I'm not very keen
in networking.

Thanks,
Osvaldo

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Osvaldo,

One thing you did not mention is if there is a connection path for your machine to your brother-
in-laws machine and what that connection is.

If there is a connection path, then use a HOSTS file and LMHOSTS file to provide the info you
need concerning his machine and your machine so that both machines will know how to reach
the other and resolve the names when accessing shares.

The above is assuming there is a networ path between the two machines so that they can talk
to each other. If you or he or both are going through firewalls, then this will not be possible
without opening ports on the firewalls to allow access (which is a security issue.

Hope this helps,
Gary

'--'From: "Osvaldo" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: WIRELESS, Domains, and Network Places
'--'Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:51:05 +0100
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.